Menu

My husband is lonely, which is sad.

kalanamak

I have no idea how to help him. He is a bit hard of hearing, and somewhat uncouth, and while he "loves" people, he is not a charmer and people don't "love" him. (This is sad, to me, because I think of how superficially charming (and selfish and cold-hearted) my ex was, and how many people want to be his pal, and here is this man, far nicer, whom no one ever calls.)

We have almost nothing in common (upbringing, interests, education, method of expressing ourselves, etc), and while I think we have some laughs over the general ups and downs of life, I am busy in my work, and homeschooling, and my reading. He isn't interested in any of that. We are "just friends" and he has his own room and schedule. We share childcare. That isn't a conflict, and I think we are both happy with that. I don't think "my company" is what he craves. I think he grew up in a large family, in a large church, with potlucks and going in small groups to knock on doors and spreading The Word.

In the old days he went to church. He lost his faith and really doesn't seem motivated to go, anymore. He sees old friends when they are in town, but that is only a couple of times a year. He skypes with a couple of friends. He visits a cousin and watches sports and drinks beer once a week. He likes movies and talk radio. I think he plays chess online with someone in Australia. For a couple of years he went to bar where a lot of young Rangers went, on Sunday nights, and was fatherly to them. He nurses one drink at the bar, BTW and never comes home intoxicated, and is in by 11. That bar closed.

I was shocked to find out he's lonely. I'm never lonely. I have no idea what to help him with, because I've never, ever had to battle loneliness. What do people do when they are lonely?

When you say he was brought up i n a church and knocked on doors to spread The Word... do you mean JW's?

I was brought up as a JW, and there was something to do with people all the time. There was a whole community of people that basically believed the same thing and were working to a common goal. It is different to every day life. I lost my faith, and after much time and adjustment I have found enough to fill my life to overflowing with busyness. but not friends really. What I am trying to say in my ramblings is that I can understand how being very involved in a religion while growing up, then moving away from it can leave a huge hole in your life.. a feeling of loneliness.

When you say he was brought up i n a church and knocked on doors to spread The Word... do you mean JW's?

Adventist.

And actually, this is one of my gripes about raising children so involved in a religion. I have met many lapsed whatevers who turn to partying and drinking and getting cholera while following Guru Whoever through SE India, to fill a void I am happy to say I never had. Really, really happy to have dodged that void.....

post here. :rolleyes:

What other hobbies does he have? In the past I've been able to create some outlets from those. Start a blog, take up hiking or photography. I used to like to go people watch at the bookstore coffee shop.

Is he introvert or extrovert. I'm an introvert, but I enjoyed being a circle of friends, part of a group. Stepping out of that was hard, moving away from it was harder. You get to be middle aged and while there are things to do, you wonder what your larger purpose in life is.

Does he have hobbies to do with your son? I do think parenting will take on a larger role as those tween and teen years hit. There are a lot of areas I defer to dh, which he loves.

Does he like technology? Have you seen the new Raspberry Pi computer? It could be fun to poke around with.

Lonely is tough, the more alone you are the worse you feel. It sometimes only takes one good friend to get you over that hump.

Adventist.

And actually, this is one of my gripes about raising children so involved in a religion. I have met many lapsed whatevers who turn to partying and drinking and getting cholera while following Guru Whoever through SE India, to fill a void I am happy to say I never had. Really, really happy to have dodged that void.....

I have to say I agree, and I made a huge effort (mostly mentally) to not do the same with my children.

When I get lonely, I try to find a way to volunteer. I am a normally busy person, but due to a back injury (blown L4,L5) I can't do the things I used to do. When I can't work, I get lonely.

I volunteer in my kids schools usually. I typically like to help with auctions or big project that have a lot of various duties. One day, I may be calling for donations, the next doing data entry, the next picking up items from donors. Depending on the tones he struggles with, being a reading buddy may be a quick outing for him a few times a week. By getting involved, it is easier to start making connections with other people who have similar interests. Even school libraries can use someone to reshelve books if his reduced hearing would interfere too much with other tasks .

If you don't think he would like that, maybe look for a local branch of the Rotary or Lions club. They often have a lot of retirees, both young and older who have a bit of time and are looking for something to do.

I was thinking Kiwanis Club or Rotary Club too.

What do they do, and what kind of "collar" are they? Hubby is very much blue collar.

I was thinking Habitat for Humanity. He's a very skilled carpenter, has tons of tools, but has very bad dyslexia, so anything with reading and writing is out. Online he comes across a Jethro, his writing is so bad.

What do they do, and what kind of "collar" are they? Hubby is very much blue collar.

I was thinking Habitat for Humanity. He's a very skilled carpenter, has tons of tools, but has very bad dyslexia, so anything with reading and writing is out. Online he comes across a Jethro, his writing is so bad.

Habitat would be good. Volunteering at nursing home, not as a patient volunteer, but as a maintenance.

Is he teaching carpentry to ds? It's such a valued family skill. Dh and ds made birdhouses at about that age, then I painted them and we gave them as gifts throughout the year.

What about a handyman service? Crafting an custom item, like chairs or bookcases and selling them.

I second Snickerdoodle's suggestion of Meetup ( www.meetup.com ) . I joined Meetup about 6 years ago (all of my friends at the time were people I worked with and I wanted to branch out a bit). Through Meetup, I met some wonderful people from a few different groups - three of those women are now very close friends of mine, and there are several others that I keep in touch with as well. There are groups for every possible interest - my town alone has right around 300 groups.

Volunteering is great too, as mentioned by previous posters.

Hope your DH finds a way to connect! From your posts, he sounds like a sweet, good-hearted man with a lot to offer as a friend.

Adventist. And actually, this is one of my gripes about raising children so involved in a religion. I have met many lapsed whatevers who turn to partying and drinking and getting cholera while following Guru Whoever through SE India, to fill a void I am happy to say I never had. Really, really happy to have dodged that void.....

Wolf grew up Adventist. I get it.

Does he have any sports interests?

I have met your dh, and I kind of understand what you are talking about. He is not an easy person to get to know, but one has the sense that it would be worth it to do so.

May I ask a few questions?

Is he interested in doing something to stop being lonely?

Is he expecting or hoping that you will be the one to make him less lonely?

He would like to not be lonely. I found out incidentally today. He is not asking me to "fix it". He, IMO, does best when there is some adventure or project to do. He is a movement, hands-on thinker. He's not good at thinking up witty or clever things on the spot. He doesn't flatter people. I think of him as an old-fashioned GUY guy, but not macho or swaggering at all.

A nice male nurse at work (I"ve known him almost 10 years, and he is a great and social guy from a similar religious and blue collar, and musical background), about 10 years his junior, is taking his son and my son up to the big LEGO store up north. I asked the nurse if he'd mind if hubby came along. Sure, the more the merrier. Hubby sounded excited. I know he'll get a kick out of this nurse.

Wolf grew up Adventist. I get it.

Does he have any sports interests?

He used to play a lot of volleyball at the church. Soccer too. He's now in his 60s and getting a little creakier. He's always asking people to go out kayaking with him, but no one nibbles.

It's easier to meet people when you're busy and have a shared goal. I think a volunteer activity would be great. Are there any Elks Lodges in your area? They usually have lots of community service going on and tend to be a mix of people - old, young, blue collar, white collar. Habitat would be great too.

Are there any kayaking clubs in your area?

He seemed easy to talk to in my opinion. I think that Habitat for Humanity is a great idea.

I think he is easy to talk to, but not so easy to know very well. He's a good listener.

I think just "some guys" to do guy things with be would be great. I know he misses those Rangers.

It's easier to meet people when you're busy and have a shared goal. I think a volunteer activity would be great. Are there any Elks Lodges in your area? They usually have lots of community service going on and tend to be a mix of people - old, young, blue collar, white collar. Habitat would be great too.

Are there any kayaking clubs in your area?

I think he might get a kick out of the Dragon Boat club. When kiddo is old enough for Sea Scouts, I think he'll be pleased. He grew up on a fishing boat and could pick up and sail across the Pacific tomorrow, solo. Great with boats.

I agree that volunteering is an excellent idea. My mom is in a nursing home now with advanced dementia. I was worried about my dad and he surprised me by volunteering at the local senior center, driving other seniors around to doctor appointments and shopping, etc. It gets him out of the house, he meets new people, and gets paid for his mileage.

Would pistol shooting be appealing to him? Many of the people I know who are involved with that are around his age, and it's very doable when you're getting a little "creakier."

As I was reading your post, I just had to say that he sounds like a really great guy. I hope he finds a fulfilling social outlet.

Would pistol shooting be appealing to him? Many of the people I know who are involved with that are around his age, and it's very doable when you're getting a little "creakier."

I bet he would! Is this a "social" sport, or something you go do by yourself or with people you are already friends with. I.e. is it a team he could practice with and get good enough for competitions? Anything physical he excels at.

My dh is hard of hearing too, always has been, and has been gradually losing his hearing over the years so that he is now quite deaf. He is seventy years old. Has your dh had his hearing checked lately? Like many hard of hearing people, he might have been losing hearing gradually. He might need hearing aids which will help him socially.

I was going to suggest target shooting, too. My FIL and his lifelong friends were all involved in motorcycle/dirt bike riding from their teen years. Now that they are all older the new hobby is target shooting. They get together at a shooting range and practice, discuss pistols, socialize, etc. Many ranges will allow you to try out various pistols.

I think he might get a kick out of the Dragon Boat club. When kiddo is old enough for Sea Scouts, I think he'll be pleased. He grew up on a fishing boat and could pick up and sail across the Pacific tomorrow, solo. Great with boats.

Oh, I like the idea of Dragon Boat. It's popular in the Silicon Valley, and I imagine just as much in your area.

About sailing, a family member had to take a sailing course to receive a certificate to sail solo. He did it recently and has sailed around the bay. From what I've heard, it's not as easy as it looks. There is a class around here just for kids.

I bet he would! Is this a "social" sport, or something you go do by yourself or with people you are already friends with. I.e. is it a team he could practice with and get good enough for competitions? Anything physical he excels at.

From what I understand (and I'm not a shooter, but my husband is), you can practice in a group, but you don't have to be friends with anyone to begin with. At my DH's club, there's a specific weekly practice where everyone knows that people will be there. They'll set up situations for each other, and they're always happy to have newcomers of any skill/experience level. No cliqueishness. People can also practice on their own, but for the type my DH does, it helps to have someone else to time you. Then once a month, they have a competition for anyone who wants to participate, where a few people will set up rules/targets/shooting scenarios, and everyone gets to shoot in turns. My DH is very introverted, but this is just enough socialness for him (and his club provides lunch after the matches, so there's some casual hang out time too). Then there are also bigger matches that involve more people (and trophies) if he gets really interested, but of the people who shoot monthly matches at my DH's club, only a few do the bigger matches. The nice thing is that you have to do a qualifying test every year, so you only compete against people of similar skill, and the emphasis is on enjoying yourself and improving yourself -- very fair to newcomers, as they can still take home trophies because they won't compete against the more experienced guys.

Check out idpa.com for some info. There's also ipsc.org and uspsa.org, but I know less about how those work.

Also, yes, he'd probably be very good at shooting. My DH is also very good at carpentry and tools and does very well when shooting.

Has he ever been in the armed services? He might like getting involved with a veteran's group, serving as a mentor or joining a group of veterans working on a service project. My father started going to the Senior Center in his early 60s and he enjoys the social activities there. Is there one in your area?

Also, aside from Habitat there is a lot of low-income, non-profit run housing in the Puget Sound region. He might be a useful and valued volunteer as a fix-it man for one of them. I am not sure where you are but for some reason I am thinking south of Seattle? He might check with United Way for a list of such non-profits needing help. Some agencies spring to mind, but it's hard for me to say what would be a reasonable distance for him.

It would be neat if he could figure out some projects -- even long-term interests -- to do with your son. You say he is a good carpenter. Can he teach your son woodwork, and pick some project to do with him? I remember my father decided to take on a boat-building project with my brother when he was young (although older than your son). It was a huge undertaking, and probably took a couple of years. They built a small catamaran. Then, they got into boating together.

Your husband sounds really sweet, like a diamond in the rough. I'm quite sure my whole family would want to get to know him.

Guest inoubliable

Meetup.com. Find a group with similar interests (chess, movies, talk radio). Family night out. Dad-n-kiddo projects in the evening. Volunteer somewhere. Honestly, I'd not recommend more "internet". Only because I know all too painfully that much time on the internet while you're lonely can quickly morph into something far more unhealthy. Your DH sounds like a great guy. My DH would love to hang out with someone like that! LOL.

Habitat would be good. Volunteering at nursing home, not as a patient volunteer, but as a maintenance.

Is he teaching carpentry to ds? It's such a valued family skill. Dh and ds made birdhouses at about that age, then I painted them and we gave them as gifts throughout the year.

What about a handyman service? Crafting an custom item, like chairs or bookcases and selling them.

As a craftsman his skill would be beneficial to the Boy Scouts. He could be a merit badge counselor. Every participant in my sons' troop is blue collar and they are some of the kindest people I know.

My dh is hard of hearing too, always has been, and has been gradually losing his hearing over the years so that he is now quite deaf. He is seventy years old. Has your dh had his hearing checked lately? Like many hard of hearing people, he might have been losing hearing gradually. He might need hearing aids which will help him socially.

My mother is nearly deaf. For 10 years, she kept saying she couldn't hear because of her allergies, and I thought it would take an act of God to get her to buy hearing aids. Then two of my sons visited her for 6 weeks when they were 13 or 14. They had a great time saying things right in front of her to prove to themselves that she couldn't hear. When I told her about that, she got hearing aids. Of course, this was her idea, and had nothing to do with my boys. :) It is lovely not to have to shout at my mother every time I talk to her!

Having hearing aids has changed my mother's life! She didn't realize how much she missed when she could not hear. I bet her friends were glad, too.

A friend of mine is 62, and is the oldest member of a competitive ice hockey team. They have a lot of fun all winter long. They are in Atlanta, so living in a winter wonderland is not required. Before that, he spent a decade playing golf every chance he got. Before that, he spent a few decades sailing -- he belonged to a sailing club, and was on the water every chance he got. He also loves skiing. He has loads of friends that he made while doing these activities.

My brother is 50, and he has always spent his spare time hunting, fishing, and restoring old cars. He, too, has a lot of friends from pursuing these interests.

I have no idea how to help him. He is a bit hard of hearing, and somewhat uncouth, and while he "loves" people, he is not a charmer and people don't "love" him. (This is sad, to me, because I think of how superficially charming (and selfish and cold-hearted) my ex was, and how many people want to be his pal, and here is this man, far nicer, whom no one ever calls.)

We have almost nothing in common (upbringing, interests, education, method of expressing ourselves, etc), and while I think we have some laughs over the general ups and downs of life, I am busy in my work, and homeschooling, and my reading. He isn't interested in any of that. We are "just friends" and he has his own room and schedule. We share childcare. That isn't a conflict, and I think we are both happy with that. I don't think "my company" is what he craves. I think he grew up in a large family, in a large church, with potlucks and going in small groups to knock on doors and spreading The Word.

In the old days he went to church. He lost his faith and really doesn't seem motivated to go, anymore. He sees old friends when they are in town, but that is only a couple of times a year. He skypes with a couple of friends. He visits a cousin and watches sports and drinks beer once a week. He likes movies and talk radio. I think he plays chess online with someone in Australia. For a couple of years he went to bar where a lot of young Rangers went, on Sunday nights, and was fatherly to them. He nurses one drink at the bar, BTW and never comes home intoxicated, and is in by 11. That bar closed.

I was shocked to find out he's lonely. I'm never lonely. I have no idea what to help him with, because I've never, ever had to battle loneliness. What do people do when they are lonely?

In his situation, I'd be depressingly lonely too. I wouldn't be lonely with 'just' my husband or 'just' my friends, but it doesn't sound like your DH has either of those relationships to feed him. (My apologies if I misread and am out of line.) It's sad.

He needs some sort of class or event that meets regularly where he can count on seeing the same folks week after week. Is there any sort of classes or clubs in your area that interest him? Can he try a new pub? Maybe his rangers are at the next one over?

I would get him hearing aids. Being able to communicate will help his self confidence and his ability to communicate. Struggling to follow a conversation can make social situations very difficult. Hearing aids opened a whole new world for me.

I worked dozens of hours of overtime and got him the cream of the crop: he hates them. He has been HOH since age 6, and everything was painfully LOUD. And they made his canals sweat.

I am using specific signs for things like Where and Milk and Raining etc and this helps us.

I worked dozens of hours of overtime and got him the cream of the crop: he hates them. He has been HOH since age 6, and everything was painfully LOUD. And they made his canals sweat.

I am using specific signs for things like Where and Milk and Raining etc and this helps us.

I have a friend that got new hearing aids a few years ago. She'd been partially deaf her whole life and technology finally caught up to her needs. She was SO excited to wear them to a rehearsal one night. She got overwhelmed and visibly angry halfway through class. She had to turn them off. The music was too loud and, for some reason, she assumed the conversation she was seeing was the only one happening. It never occurred to her that we could have several conversations going on at once and jump in and out of them. It also didn't occur to her that we could possibly be talking WHILE dancing to the "too loud" music. She left class that day GLAD she couldn't hear well. It took her a year to get used to 'normal' volume levels.

Maybe he can join meetup.com. People list all kinds of local activites there from book clubs, philosophical clubs, local hiking or any other activity you can think of. It's worth a shot.

Meetup is a good idea. It is targeted to your area and many interest groups are represented, from bowling to cooking to zumba and anything in between.

I also read another poster suggesting a pet. This seems a good idea to me if he loves animals. I get a lot of company from my dog. He'd have to walk him and spend time with him.

I haven't read all the responses, so I don't know if this may have already been suggested. But I noticed that your dh is good with his hands and enjoys the outdoors. Habitat would be a really good fit for him I expect, but another idea might be to teach homeschoolers some woodshop or home maintenance tasks. Or he could do it on a Saturday for a broader range of kids. Another idea would be for him to organize some bushcraft classes for homeschoolers or on a Saturday or just take kids on outings in the woods. He could maybe meet some other dads with similar interests this way.

I married a very blue collar guy-guy. He doesn't need a lot of friends, but things he enjoys doing with others are:

Target shooting

4 wheeling

Boating

Volunteer fire department

Volunteer maintenance stuff at a local kids camp

It can be hard to meet people. Especially these type of guys, who appear to me to have a communication system of their own that just involves grunts and a few words here and there.