Menu

LEAH convention in NY

jessicamcc

Are you speaking about the one in Rochester?

I've gone to that and am not LEAH. Though I am a Christian, I didn't find it to be offensively "Christian" for non-Christians. I think the main thing they do push is proper dress in terms of nothing "sexy" and revealing.

It was a very nice convention full of all sorts of vendors (Moving Beyond the Page was there and they are secular, for example).

I plan to go. I went once when I was thirteen but my mom was never a LEAH fan so that was the only year we went. It was kind of amusing to watch some of the families in matching jumpers and polo shirts.

I hope to have lost twenty pounds so I can get back into my skinny jeans and tank tops by then. But I am kind of subversive that way.

Also, LEAH is the only conference in NY. The emphasis on "Christian parenting" really annoys me. I want to talk academics and homeschooling, not parenting methods that I already disagree with.

But it is what it is. LEAH has a monopoly in NYS and I don't see that changing.

Around my area LEAH is the ONLY homeschooling group. All activities, co ops and such are run through them. I don't know how it is in the rest of the state, but I do suspect it may be different in NYC and towards cities like Rochester and Syracuse. So here it would not be unusual for a school district to point someone towards LEAH, just because there is nothing else.

Irritating, to say the least.