Menu

A medical WWYD

Parrothead

Take the iodine?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take the iodine?

• Yes
    • No

I have a lot of things wrong with me. At the moment most of them are under control and don't bother me much. Here is the list if anyone is interested:

Grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism)

Grave's Eye Disease (relate but separate)

Osteoarthritis

GERD

Restless Leg Syndrome

Sleep Onset Insomnia

Cold Urticaria

Every once in a while I'll get on the internet and see if anything new has been found to treat any of the 7. Lately I've been feeling like I need to look at the Grave's again. Specifically in relation to iodine deficiency. It has been almost a constant nagging feeling.

There is a bit of biology and my personal history one needs to know to make an informed decision about my WWYD. Bromide and Iodine are almost identical. Bromide is often referred to as a poison. Some say the body needs some. Other will point out that it is the gas used by exterminators when they tent you house for termites. The body receptors will take bromide in place of iodine if no iodine is available. That is the biology. The history is from the age of 15 to the age of 42 I drank Mt. Dew like most people drink water. Mt Dew contains brominated veggie oil. I finally stopped drinking it because we found dd is allergic to bromide. The other bit of personal history is I avoided salt like it was the plague. Salt was evil. Salt caused death. This meant I had no, none, nada, iodine intake unless I had shrimp. So you can pretty much figure out my iodine receptors were/are full of bromide.

At 39 I developed Grave's disease, GERD and Grave's eye disease. One right after the other. Boom. Boom. Boom. Within a period of 9 months.

So I'm online today looking into the iodine/hyperthyroid connection. Well. lo and behold, there is a connection between iodine deficiency and GERD. And in some people iodine will help with hyperthyroid.

Okay, cool, just start taking some iodine every day. Here's the rub. Iodine can cause the thyroid gland to over produce thyroid hormone. Which could if left unchecked send a person into a thyroid storm. A thyroid storm can lead to death. Rather quickly.

If I leave things alone I'm not going to die anytime soon. All my problems will lessen my life expectancy, I'm sure. But I won't die next week. Unless I'm hit by a bus.

Here's the WWYD. Start with a low dose iodine and work my way up to clear any remaining iodine receptors of any bromide and hope for the best or stay with the status quo?

One other thing to add to the mix. A lack of iodine may lead to reproductive cancers. I've been so afraid of a thyroid storm that I've not had iodine at all. I've probably not had any iodine enter my body in 2 years. And I know from my reading over the years that I've been deficient since I was a teen and stopped using salt.

I would definitely take the iodine. Can you work with your doctor to have your thyroid monitored, so you can ease your mind about the possible adverse thyroid effects?

I don't take iodine myself, but have researched it a bit. IIRC correctly I read somewhere that there are some other supplements you can take together with the iodine to keep the adverse iodine effects in check - don't remember what they are, but might be something to look into.

I would definitely take the iodine. Can you work with your doctor to have your thyroid monitored, so you can ease your mind about the possible adverse thyroid effects?

I don't take iodine myself, but have researched it a bit. IIRC correctly I read somewhere that there are some other supplements you can take together with the iodine to keep the adverse iodine effects in check - don't remember what they are, but might be something to look into.

I'm not currently under the care of an endocrinologist. There are two in this state that work with patients other than diabetics. One wanted a huge battery of tests that no other doctor had indicated were needed. (by this point I'd had this disease 4.5 years and been to several doctors). When I complained about the expense the reply was "Well, you have insurance, don't you?" The other point blank told me that I should have my thyroid surgically removed. It would cause more eye damage, but that was just too bad.

If I go to an endo I'm going to have to find one in Boston. Hence my being leary of doctors in this state in general, and my looking into all of this on my own.

If I go to an endo I'm going to have to find one in Boston. Hence my being leary of doctors in this state in general, and my looking into all of this on my own.

Gotcha.

Here's what I found on nutrients you should take when supplementing with iodine:

1. Supporting Nutrients for taking Iodine.

These are required to support the body while supplementing with iodine:

• Vitamin C – 2,000 – 5,000 mgs / day – supports the symporters and assists as

an antioxidant to detoxing.

• Selenium – 200 – 400 mcg / day – needed for detoxification and thyroid

hormone creation.

• Unrefined salt (Celtic) – 1â„2 tsp / day – supports adrenals, binds to bromide and

assists in removal, supports symporters (sodium iodine symporters or NIS)

• Magnesium – 400 mgs / day – critical for over 300 enzyme reactions in the

body.

• Optional – ATP CoFactors -1 tablet 2x / day – when individuals continue to feel

fatigued or have autoimmune thyroid disease this product can assist in increasing ATP (energy) within the cells. Riboflavin and no-flush niacin.

This is from an online guide called "The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine". I haven't read it - just came across it when googling for the info on supplements (it bugged me that I couldn't remember the specifics of what I had read previously ;) ). So I can't vouch for the contents of this guide but based on a quick review it looks quite comprehensive and helpful. It also has info on bromide toxicity, so I thought you might find it interesting:

http://home.comcast....with Iodine.pdf

Have you done an iodine patch test? http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniquesiodine-patch-test.htm

Not sure if it's widely accepted or not, but it's interesting to try, anyway. When my doc put the iodine on my arm, it took days (almost a week?) to go away which supposedly means my body wasn't taking it in so I shouldn't supplement. The result makes sense for me since I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis that can be worsened by iodine. There is also information on a loading test here.http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/iodine12345/

I'm the single 'no' vote so far. I don't necessarily think a small amount of iodine will hurt you, but my experience is that thyroid disease is tricky and best managed by a competent endocrinologist. (Yes, I know that can be very hard to find.) I've had Hashimoto's for over 20 years and finally found an endo that specializes in thyroid, and it has made a huge difference in how I feel. I travel over 50 miles to see him.

I'm the single 'no' vote so far. I don't necessarily think a small amount of iodine will hurt you, but my experience is that thyroid disease is tricky and best managed by a competent endocrinologist. (Yes, I know that can be very hard to find.) I've had Hashimoto's for over 20 years and finally found an endo that specializes in thyroid, and it has made a huge difference in how I feel. I travel over 50 miles to see him.

I'd have to go to Boston or into CT or NYC to find a good one. Boston is 6 hours one way. I'm pretty much on my own here in the back woods of ME.

arent most of those issues also associate with gluten intolerance or undiagnosed celiac? have you tried going gluten free for a month to see if your symptoms lessen?

I don't think they are. Other than the GERD I don't have GI problems. That is one area I'm healthy.

I can fine one of those closer, but it is still a 4 hour round trip.

*sigh*.

A four hour trip would be worth it, if you have a qualified, quality doctor. If you have complications due to the iodine, you could cost yourself Wayyyy more that 4 hours of inconvienience.

A four hour trip would be worth it, if you have a qualified, quality doctor. If you have complications due to the iodine, you could cost yourself Wayyyy more that 4 hours of inconvienience.

Maybe I'll make an appointment in the spring when the roads aren't so dangerous and I have a bit do money. I know insurance wont cover it.

In the meantime I think I'm going to try a low dose.

Maybe I'll make an appointment in the spring when the roads aren't so dangerous and I have a bit do money. I know insurance wont cover it.

In the meantime I think I'm going to try a low dose.

I would consider calling an NP first and ask if you need labs done before you start the iodine. If you need baseline labs, you will need them before you start the iodine to be most accurate.

I agree it is worth at least considering traveling for a good doctor. My endo is in Wa. state and has patients that come from Alaska, Nevada, and California to see him. I only have to see him once a year. He gives me an order slip to have my labwork done locally a few times a year or whenever I feel my thyroid is 'off', then he consults over the phone.

I'm in remission from Grave's. My TSH stays low, but all of my thyroid levels are normal at the moment. I do have mild eye disease. I can't guarantee no storm, but I did start taking a mineral supplement with iodine. After a few days my heart was racing like the good old days. Stopped the supplement and things went relatively back to normal. Same thing happens with shrimp.

BTW, I've been told unlike radiation treatment, surgical removal should not worsen the eye disease. I have been encouraged to do so while I'm "younger," but haven't made that step. If you decide to, find the best surgeon in Boston. It's a pretty delicate surgery.

And to comment on a PP, I do have celiac also. They often run co-morbid. I never had the classic symptoms, just the malabsorption. A gluten-free trial may be worth it if you are looking for things to improve your health. Actually absorbing nutrients from your food and supplements is helpful.

Iodine is definitely a necessary supplement for your body and does have a connection to your thyroid and other things. However, your body requires such a small amount of it, that you probably would get what you need by just adding a pinch of salt to your diet. (Again, only a very small amount is necessary.)

I have RLS, and what helps me with that is magnesium and iron. I take an iron supplement, and sometimes take epsom salt baths with magnesium.

Thanks everyone. I think I'd pretty much made up my mind to try it.

I've tried everything else. I thing I might be one of the few that develop a hyperthyroid because of a deficiency. This is just one more classic contrary to nature thing for me. I'm sure of it.

I'm getting good magnesium and starting on a very low dose of iodoral. I'm back on the selenium and picking up a good vit C.

As for the doctor thing, yes a good one is a fantastic thing. I've had nothing but duds since being in ME. the one guy I know is an excellent doc is not in private practice.

Going further than Bangor pretty much requires an overnight stay which then includes kenneling the dog, missed days of school, and dh taking off work. Then there is timing so we dont end up driving either direction in a snow storm. At least in the winter. Traveling to civilization is the biggest PITA about living this far out.

I suppose there is the niggling doubt of actually finding someone who will work with ne right off the bat.

Thanks for listening.