Menu

My dd16 just drove away in our car by herself for the first time

Kalypso

When my daughter got her permit, I told her I was not looking forward to the day when she drove off without me. After driving with her for a year and a half, and continuing to drive/pick her up from all of her activities, I told her I was over that and would she please get her license already??? She's been driving herself for nearly six months now, and it's so nice to just stay while she goes! She doesn't go far, so I don't worry (too much!)

Is my teen the only one who doesn't care to drive? I got a weird one.

Ds1 and I were chatting about this last night. When he was 2yo he tried to drive the car. And all his life he talked about driving, couldn't wait until he could drive, blah, blah, blah. Then he turns 15. Does he nag us to take him to the dmv? Nope. He wasn't ready to go until he was nearly 16. I think it does help being more mature when you start; I was 22!

As to the OP, it was a weird feeling the first time ds drove by himself but it didn't last long. I knew he was a good driver. Here they have to have their permit for a year before they can take the driving test so I'd driven with ds a lot. A Lot. To and from school each day, 30 mins each way. It was actually a relief to be able to let him go somewhere by himself. And it's nice that he can jump in the car and run to the store or do other errands. Last night he took his brother for a haircut! I can already tell I'm going to miss that extra convenience when he goes off to college in the fall.

This is why I was happy in hindsight that I didn't know the first time dd, now 18, drove away by herself. I was either in the shower or at the store. But she asked dh and he said yes. She was off. So for me it was a non-event. I have 3 more months until the middle child needs to do the same thing.

No, you're not alone! My dd is very excited and is counting the days until she is 15.5 and can get her permit. She has that day circled in her calendar.

My ds has no interest. The thought scares him, and he has no plans to learn for a while yet. This is good thinking on his part. ;)

Nope, not the only one. My 18 year old stepdaughter, who is a freshman at college, HATES to drive. Seriously, she will avoid it as much as possible. She has her license, but does not care to use it, LOL.