Menu

Grandma died, what flowers to send? I can't make it to funeral.

Sukale

My 92 year old grandmother passed away yesterday. She held on until the last of her 5 children could all be their. After my aunt made it there she died 30 minutes later. I am 8 hours away and just will not be able to make it back home. I would like to send something to the funeral that my mom could keep afterwards. I was thinking of some kind of plant that she could keep and a crystal angel. Any other ideas or know where I could order from. It needs to be in WV by Thursday.

I'd send some kind of low-maintainence, but pretty plant. When my Grandma died, my mom got several nice potted plants and it's nice to see them and remember Grandma. Another idea (probably not for your situation but maybe for another time) is a tree. My one girlfriend had a couple of miscarriages and for each they planted a nice tree or shrub in their yard in honor of the baby. But a memorial tree for any person's death, I think is a neat thing.

I'm sorry for your loss. What a blessing to your mom and her siblings that they were all there for her at the end.

As for how to send the plant/flowers, call the funeral home and ask for the number of the florist doing the family's flowers for the funeral. Ask the florist for a plant that would coordinate well with the family's flowers (via the same type of bow, same pattern/color foil on the pot, etc.). If you decide to send flowers instead, ask them to coordinate with the family's flowers, too.

:grouphug: I'm sorry for your loss.

I have no suggestions on flowers or other plants. When my grandmother died I sent my mom money to help pay for the expenses. She told me that helped a lot. She tends to be practical, not a sentimental type, so I think she appreciated that more than flowers.