Menu

Twitching while sleeping??

Hi,

My dd 5 (as of this Monday!) was diagnosed with adhd/pdd low spectrum of autism. I have noticed for a very long time that she seems to "twitch" while she sleeps. Also, I started giving her melatonin a few weeks ago, (2mg now) and she still wakes up..she also doesn't sleep calmly(before using and since using melatonin)...could be the "twitching".?? In your opinion, do you think this is something to be concerned about?

Given her other special needs, I would see about a sleep study. Twitching could be slight seizures. It also doesn't sound like she is a good sleeper and sleep issues can lead to ADHD symptoms, learning delays, etc.

I don't know much about seizures, but I do know that sleeping problems can cause ADHD symptoms and LD's. I'd check into a sleeping study as well.

I don't know if kids get this but my dh has periodic movement of limb disorder. Here is a link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2157089_treat-periodic-limb-movement-disorder.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

He takes mirapex every night or has to sleep in the spare bed...it is that bad! Again, I don't know if kids are subject to this...

My 2.5 yo son has ASD, and he twitches awake at night... all night. Nighttime seizures are not unusual in kids on the autism spectrum. (I think the statistic is something like 20%.)

He also has severe anxiety and insomnia. Our neurologist recently scheduled him for a 24 hour EEG and put him on an anti-seizure medication that is also used to treat anxiety, in the hopes of giving him some relief.

So I would definitely bring it up with your doctor. It could just be how she sleeps (maybe she has active dreams!), but it's worth ruling out nighttime seizures.

via epsom salts baths? My ds used to have a lot of twitching at night which is somewhat reduced by magnesium (lacking in a lot of the kids on the spectrum).

Try 2 cups of epsom salts with a little hot water to dissolve, add cool water to warm temperature and soak feet or add about 3-4 cups to bath water. It's worth a try before anything more drastic.

HTH,

Sandra

I just read an article about kids and sleeping problems which said that a defieciency in Omega-3 fatty acids can affect sleep. My dd who is 11 years old had difficulty sleeping and staying asleep. She now takes fish oil twice a day and we have seen great improvement not only in her sleeping, but also in her ability to concentrate and stay focused on school work. I don't know if fish oil will help twitching, but it might be a good thing to try.

Blessings,

Darlene