Menu

Butternut Squash Ideas?

DaffodilDreams

Roast them whole. I am not kidding..don't bother cutting in half. They cut apart much easier when they are cooked.

Then dig out the seeds and take off the skin. Use in soup, or freeze.

We like it with salt, pepper, little bit of butter and little bit of brown sugar.

I have two butternut squash that I need to use up. Anyone have any quick and tasty ideas for using them up? How would you prepare them and what would you serve with them?

Thanks!

Make this soup. It's one of the best soups I've ever had. Make sure not to skip the gremolata.

Butternut Mac & Cheese

Butternut squash soup: Saute an onion, add cubed and peeled butternut squash with chicken broth to cover. Simmer until squash cubes are tender (15-20 minutes). Puree, either with a stick blender or by pureeing in small batches in a regular blender. Add some cream, s&p, nutmeg. Serve.

Cube and toss in olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 425 for 20 minutes until tender. Serve as a side.

Make "pumpkin" pie.

Cat

Cream of Butternut Squash Soup, Butternut Chili, & Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup are both personal favorites! Total comfort food. (I halve the cream cheese for the chipotle soup and go very heavy with the veggies.) Another HUGE non-soup favorite is this Paleo Lasagna recipe. I use a jarred tomato/roasted pepper sauce that I buy at the store (in place of pizza sauce and roasted peppers). It has such a sophisticated and rich flavor combination. Feels like a total splurge!!

Roast them whole. I am not kidding..don't bother cutting in half. They cut apart much easier when they are cooked.

Then dig out the seeds and take off the skin. Use in soup, or freeze.

We like it with salt, pepper, little bit of butter and little bit of brown sugar.

When roasting whole, how long and what temp? I might make a soup with one of them and would try this method in that case.

Butternut Mac & Cheese

Butternut squash soup: Saute an onion, add cubed and peeled butternut squash with chicken broth to cover. Simmer until squash cubes are tender (15-20 minutes). Puree, either with a stick blender or by pureeing in small batches in a regular blender. Add some cream, s&p, nutmeg. Serve.

Cube and toss in olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 425 for 20 minutes until tender. Serve as a side.

Make "pumpkin" pie.

Cat

I despise regular mac and cheese, but this I would be willing to try! Thanks for the link!

Cream of Butternut Squash Soup, Butternut Chili, & Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup are both personal favorites! Total comfort food. (I halve the cream cheese for the chipotle soup and go very heavy with the veggies.) Another HUGE non-soup favorite is this Paleo Lasagna recipe. I use a jarred tomato/roasted pepper sauce that I buy at the store (in place of pizza sauce and roasted peppers). It has such a sophisticated and rich flavor combination. Feels like a total splurge!!

The paleo lasagne recipe is timely for me. I haven't been reacting well to pasta lately, so I might give this a try. I just told dh the other night that I might have to switch to spaghetti squash as noodles for myself whenever the family wants pasta. Thanks for the idea!

When roasting whole, how long and what temp? I might make a soup with one of them and would try this method in that case.

I put them on a cookie sheet with the oven set at 350 degrees. How long depends on the size. Larger ones will take an hour. I just check them after 45 mins. If a fork goes into them easily, they are done.

Let them cool before trying to cut them open so you don't burn yourself.

I have two butternut squash that I need to use up. Anyone have any quick and tasty ideas for using them up? How would you prepare them and what would you serve with them?

Thanks!

Incredibly easy.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

Squash

olive oil, salt and pepper for squash

4-6 strips of streaky bacon, diced

small onion, diced

nutmeg

chicken broth

sour cream

fresh chopped parsley

Peel and cut squash into large chunks. Toss with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 350°F until soft and starting to carmelize a bit. While squash is cooking, in a large saucepan, cook up 4-6 strips of streaky bacon that you have diced into small pieces. Remove the bacon and set aside. In the saucepan, add a small diced onion and cook until onion is soft and beginning to carmelize. When squash is roasted, dump it into the saucepan. Add enough chicken broth to cover the squash well. Add a generous pinch of nutmeg and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. It should be somewhat thick. Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream in the middle, the bacon sprinkled over top and fresh chopped parsley if you have it.

I usually serve this with a salad first and fruit for dessert.

When my daughter was about 5, we were in the grocery store. Using a cajoling tone of voice, usually reserved for things like candy, she begged "please, mommy, can't we have some squash?!" I'm pretty sure at least one of the incredulous shoppers who turned and stared at us, might have dropped what they were holding!

Roasted or mashed with sugar and butter is good, and butternut soup is delicious! I make a kind of pasta sauce with onions, tomato, cubed butternut, thyme and cream - whatever quantities work. Tomorrow I'm roasting butternut and other vegetables to go in a quiche.

Thanks again for all of the help. I roasted both tonight - one peeled and cubed for a side and the other whole to purée and freeze for a soup later on. For the side I took inspiration from kewb's roasting and mixing with garlic spinach idea as well as the Pioneer Woman's kale combo. I roasted the cubed squash with olive oil and garlic and then stirred in kale once the squash was soft. I cooked the dish just a bit longer, until the kale crisped. We all loved it! Soooooo good and the texture combo was perfect!

This item will remain on my grocery list as long as the stores still have it because I want to try as many of your recipes as possible! : )