Menu

Anyone cloth diapering?

VeritasMama

Child number 7 is on the way and I'm thinking about diving in and switching to cloth. I have a potty training 2 year old and a 1 year old, so I would have time to get into the swing of things with them before the new baby comes.

Anyone here cloth diapering? My husband thinks I'm insane to add more to my plate right now, but the more I look into it the more I feel guilty for not using cloth with my other children. Of course, when I was working and my kids were in daycare it would have been a lot more difficult, but I wish I had looked into it when I decided to stay home.

Any advice or words of wisdom? I guess I would just like someone to reassure me that I'm not crazy :).

I guess I would ask why you want to cloth diaper...I love cloth diapers! However, the time to rinse, wash, rinse, wash, etc. is something to consider. I have a front load washing machine which is low water...which means the diapers don't get as clean. I would run 3 to 6 cycles to get them smelling clean...that's a lot of electricity and wear on my washing machine...

They are rather expensive to start...the more kids you can use them with, the cheaper they are. But, again I don't know your reasons for cloth diapers so maybe that isn't a factor.

There are so many good choices for cloth diapering online...let me know if you want more info.

As a side note, I don't think you're crazy - I would just really clarify why you want to do this and if it fits with what is on your plate.:)

I have been using cloth since my 3rd. My MIL thought we were crazy ~ she had cloth diapered all 6 of her kids, but that was in the day of pins and plastic pants. I find CD to be so easy, we just get into a routine of washing every other day. There are quite a few different options out there depending upon your preference and budget. We typically use prefolds, snappis and bummis wraps. Once in a while we will use a pocket diaper (like when my SIL babysits). Cotton Babies is a good place to look...it's where I buy mine ;) You can do it!

I cloth diaper and I love it. I only have one kiddo (now 5) and one on the way though, so my situation is a little different than yours.

I'd suggest looking at prefolds with snappies and covers (I like Thirsties, but everyone has their favorite) for your everyday needs--they're easy and economical. I also have a small stash of pocket diapers (mostly Bum Genius) that we used for overnight, while out and about, for caregivers, etc. I second the recommendation of Cotton Babies. We ordered a lot from them.

I have a front loader and it works great for my diapers. I never did any extra washes or pre-soaked. I did usually do one extra rinse. Every so often I'd do a strip, but that was it. My diapers were never funky, unless they had a buildup issue (hence the occasional strip). I did a load about every other day. I found it pretty easy, overall; of course, your mileage may vary!

I was attracted to it for health reasons, environmental and economic reasons. My youngest has had some pretty severe diaper rashes, she has very sensitive skin, she gets a rash whenever I use scented detergent, and I am sure part why her rashes are so much worse than her siblings is due to the chemicals in the disposables. I am also hoping I can do it cheaply, and save money in the long run. Also, the thought of all our diapers sitting in a landfill has been getting to me lately, though my husband couldn't care less.

I was looking at prefolds and pockets, I bought a few used bumgenius elemental organic pockets online for $8.00 to see what they were like. I also found some bamboo Kawaii pocket diapers on ebay for around $6.00 a piece. I also saw a video on converting old recieving blankets into prefolds, so I was thinking about doing that, and seeing how well they worked, since I have plenty of those. I was also contemplating making my own pocket diapers, but I think that the cost of the materials would be too high.

I have a front loader, that is one reason my husband is against it, he thinks that the water and electricity costs will make the costs about the same as dispoable, and the environmental impact won't be any less. That is why he doesn't think it is worth the hassle.

I had heard that you can put towels in with the diapers to make the load heavier, and then your front loader will use more water and the diapers will get cleaner. Has anyone tried this, and if so does it work?

I did while I had a top loader but after the switch to a front loader I couldn't figure out a wash routine that would work before I gave up trying with just too much else to worry about.

When we started we were doing so to really, really save money so we went with frugal options and it didn't cost much to start at all.

I used cloth with both boys, but that was a long time ago. I used a service.

Both my kids were out of diapers just before they turned 2. My friends all think it was the cloth diapers but I have no idea.

My MIL always says this, she used cloth and she seems to think that it makes a difference.

Did you use a special detergent? Do the cloth diaper detergents work well in a front loader?

I cloth-diapered with a top loader. I have a front-loader now; don't see why a front loader wouldn't work. o_0

I used Amway laundry products (for all clothing, not just the diapers). I presoaked the diapers overnight in the dry bleach; drained the water in the morning and washed with detergent, dry bleach, and fabric softener. I'd been using a diaper service and was spoiled by the white, white diapers; mine were just as white. :-)

I forget what I ended up using last go 'round, but I do know there was some trial and error to find a detergent that didn't cause build up. Your water type (hard, soft) can also play a part. I wonder if the folks who had issues with their front loaders just maybe didn't hit on the right detergent? There's a brand out that I don't remember from when I diapered last--Rockin' Green--that has detergents specific to water hardness. I think I'm gonna try this stuff with the new baby's diapers!

I cloth diaper and it has been wonderful. We are on the cusp of potty-training and I will admit that I am looking forward to no longer washing diapers! My favorites are prefolds w/thirsties or bummis covers. Right now we are using the kawaii pocket diapers. They are almost as easy as disposable(just have to stuff the inserts) but I do not care for the way they fit. They need a double gusset because they tend to gape open on ds2's legs and leak...I never had any leaking with the prefolds and covers. If you aren't sure if you want to commit there are trial packages available. I know nickisdiapers and cottonbabies both have them. They send you a few diapers for a small charge and you can try it out for either 2 weeks or a month and if you don't like them you just send the diapers back(washed of course ;).

Reading this thread is not helping my resolve to NOT do it. Sigh.

:( I know the initial investment is an issue, but do you have a family member willing to do part (or all) to get you started? Will you be having a shower/can you add them to your registry or wish list? A good stash of prefolds and some covers would take care of most, if not all, of your needs. There are some one-size covers out now, too, that look nice and are relatively cheap. I think the bum genius folks make them. They have snaps and adjust as baby grows, so you (theoretically) can use them for your baby's entire time in diapers.

ETA: the Econobum is the one-size cover I was talking about: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=2271 I haven't tried them, but I plan to! They definitely look like a good deal.

:( I know the initial investment is an issue, but do you have a family member willing to do part (or all) to get you started? Will you be having a shower/can you add them to your registry or wish list? A good stash of prefolds and some covers would take care of most, if not all, of your needs. There are some one-size covers out now, too, that look nice and are relatively cheap. I think the bum genius folks make them. They have snaps and adjust as baby grows, so you (theoretically) can use them for your baby's entire time in diapers.

I wish I did, but no.....to all of the above. Being baby #4, family is kind of over the whole helping thing....and no shower to register for :(

I used cloth with both boys, but that was a long time ago. I used a service.

Both my kids were out of diapers just before they turned 2. My friends all think it was the cloth diapers but I have no idea.

I think there may be some truth to this. I cloth diapered all 3 of my dc and they all trained pretty early with minimal encouragement. Ds#1 was 26 months, dd 22 months and ds#2 24 months. Day and night.

I also had a front loader with the last two and never had a problem. I would run a short cold water wash with no detergent first then a heavy duty wash with extra rinse.

We cloth diaper. I have a front loader and am happy with it--I used my sister's top loader for a while while visiting her and was not impressed with the way it worked on my diapers at all, so not all top loaders are cloth diaper nirvana.

I have bought virtually all my diapers used, so it's been pretty economical. With our little guy, we use Fuzzi Bunz one size, stuffed with prefolds (I don't like the microfiber inserts they come with). It has taken a bit of trial and error over the years to get our routine just right with our hard water, but we are happy with it. I've tried cloth diaper-specific detergents and not been happy with them, so right now we use Kirkland Signature free and clear and sometimes some Oxyclean.

My DD didn't potty train until she was 3.5 and she was in cloth. I had two in cloth for a year, so just having one in cloth seems very easy. I wash every other day--just toss the diapers in and start the machine (cold rinse with no detergent, hot wash with detergent, warm rinse).

Child number 7 is on the way and I'm thinking about diving in and switching to cloth. I have a potty training 2 year old and a 1 year old, so I would have time to get into the swing of things with them before the new baby comes.

Anyone here cloth diapering? My husband thinks I'm insane to add more to my plate right now, but the more I look into it the more I feel guilty for not using cloth with my other children. Of course, when I was working and my kids were in daycare it would have been a lot more difficult, but I wish I had looked into it when I decided to stay home.

Any advice or words of wisdom? I guess I would just like someone to reassure me that I'm not crazy :).

I'm on my 3rd child, and started cloth diapering 13 years ago so I've seen the trends come and go. For your situation I'd keep it easy but also easy to wash. Personally I'd do Mother Ease Sandy diapers. They come in two sizes, both of which fit a BROAD range. So you could get the large size now, to start with the big kids, and then if all goes well you can buy smalls for the baby and will have the larges ready when she/he grows into them. The bamboo ones are much softer, fyi. Add some some covers (the thirsties duo also are two size), personally I LOVE wool, which stretches so you don't need a lot of sizes there as well. The wool is breathable and yet water resistant/proof and easy care. But if you want PUL covers the Thirsties Duo''s would be a good start.

I have a front loader, that is one reason my husband is against it, he thinks that the water and electricity costs will make the costs about the same as dispoable, and the environmental impact won't be any less. That is why he doesn't think it is worth the hassle.

By that logic you should use all paper plates, disposable forks, and disposable clothes.

Cloth diapering works well for us, and we've never had an issue with a front-load washer.

I recommend getting 1-2 each of a few different brand/style diapers so you know which work best for you. It isn't just personal preference, it depends on what brand fits your child best.

I love flats (from Green Mountain Diapers) and Flips covers (by CottonBabies). Both are one-size, fitting new to toddler. I love them.

Flats are really easy to wash and dry, especially for a front-loader, because they are a single layer of fabric. They are easy to use too. You can pad-fold them and just lay inside the cover.

ETA: Two dozen flats cost around $50 and five Flips covers cost around $70, so this is a pretty affordable way to diaper. I would not buy 5 covers without knowing you like the fit and feel of the covers. I think Nicki's Diapers ships covers for free so you can try out one before buying a stash of covers.

I started using cloth when my oldest was 15 months old and used it with the other three from the start. My youngest didn't wear anything at all except cloth the whole first year, period. I enjoyed it. It was work, but I didn't have to worry about running out of diapers because I could wash them. I loved all the different types and prints. I had some fun WAHM diapers and found out I love wool covers and therefore learned to knit. I loved it, it was a hobby. I started because my oldest have horrible blow outs and I began having them with my second after we switched back to sposies because he outgrew his nb/small diapers and I had to sell to buy the next size up. He was ruining outfits and I knew I'd rather wash a diaper than his nice clothing all the time. It worked, no more blowouts!!

I didn't like all in ones because they are bulky and take a long long time to dry. I love pockets, prefolds with wool, and fitteds with wool.

By that logic you should use all paper plates, disposable forks, and disposable clothes.

My husband is actually an engineer for a large paper company, so we do use a lot of paper products, lol! Most of them he gets for free from work.

And he is constantly reminding about some study that showed that using disposable coffee cups is actually better for the environment than washing your coffee mug every day. I just roll my eyes and move on.

I cloth diapered DD from birth to potty training (at age 25 months) and the twins from birth to about 18months when they outgrew the (medium and one-sized) dipes I had and I wasn't wiling to buy a twin-sized stash of very large diapers for what I hoped was a short time (my twins are off-the-charts huge, the diapers I had would fit 90% of babies until potty training, I'd think). They are now 25 months and one twin is currently being potty trained (very successfully so far) and I think the other isn't far behind. I have several friends who use cloth and all but one have their kids trained by right around the 2nd birthday, so I think there's something to that, though the boys are training at about the same age and are in disposables at the moment, so I don't know.

I didn't find it that much harder. Switching to disposables was a little bit easier, but not much, really, and that was with two in diapers. I have a very basic top loader washer and just drypail. I use flushable liners to catch the poop so I don't swish or scrape or do anything else. For newborns or pee diapers I just dump the diaper in the pail, then straight to the washer every other day. For big kid poops I dump the liner and poop in the toilet then throw the diaper in the wash. To wash I do rinse-wash/extra rinse. It's another load of laundry, but it's a REALLY EASY load because I don't have to fold it or sort it. I just keep a basket of clean diapers near where I change them and grab one when I need it. Often when I couldn't find the energy to do a regular load I'd do a diaper load because I knew I wouldn't have to deal with the folding and sorting and putting away deal. My 4yo can easily do all the diaper laundry except moving the clean diapers to the dryer (she can't reach into the drum).

I love pockets, though they are expensive. However one-size pockets can get you all the way through (often multiple children) so may be worth the investment. I also used prefolds and covers a LOT and find them very managable. Blueberry covers are my favorite, and Indian prefolds. For pockets I like FuzziBunz sized (but I found their one-size very small). I also like Sunbaby one-size if you are looking for a bargain and don't mind made in China. You have to order them on ebay and they take approximately forever to arrive but they're great diapers for the price and I really liked them for the boys. Keep in mind that the shape of the baby can make a big difference in which brands people prefer. My kids are big and fast-growing, and the boys are quite thick around the middle - some brands didn't fit their bodies but might work fine on a thinner child.

Did you use a special detergent? Do the cloth diaper detergents work well in a front loader?

I use about 1T. Of either Tide, the Costco version of Tide or Ecos---I alternate between the three. Very little detergent is actually needed. I wash on the normal cycle on hot and every once in a whilr use the sanitary cycle.

I've been using cloth for a decade, and I love it, but there are some considerations. You're not crazy. I have very basic prefolds -- 2-3 dozen newborn ones (at about $18 a dozen from jardinediapers.com) and about 2 dozen larger prefolds (about $22 a dozen). I use wool covers that I knit myself (anywhere from $6-$12 worth of yarn, but there's a time factor involved), but I've also used PUL covers (about $5-$6 a cover, and you need about 6 that fit the baby at any one time -- different brands will fit differently at different times) and have liked them too. I've also used made-by-me fitted diapers and prefolds with snappi clips under Bummis pull-up pants, and that was a really good setup.

I have well water, so I'm not paying extra for that, but even when I had city water, I still don't think it was anywhere near the cost of disposables. Hard to tell -- kids just mean extra laundry anyway, so who knows about the diapers alone?

Cloth takes me a couple of extra minutes a few times a week, and maybe seconds more at changes. (And a few minutes now and then to relanolize the covers.) However, it does tie up my machine for a few hours, and when I don't hang the diapers, they take a while in my dryer. (I don't like them line-dried, winter or summer, though I do it in the summer sometimes; I don't like them stiff.) What works best is if I do the cold prewash (no detergent) at night, then set up a hot wash (with detergent and vinegar) to soak overnight, and then I leave a note for my DH (who leaves for work at the crack of dawn) to start the wash (which is also set to do an automatic second rinse) when he leaves. That way, they're done and ready to dry when I get up (or are close to it), and I can do the other laundry.

DH doesn't change many diapers, so he doesn't care what I do. I'm better at the cloth, but mainly because there are subtle adjustments I make on the fly, so I know what will leak and what won't, and DH isn't used to all of that. If I want him to do a diaper and want to make sure it doesn't leak, I do have a couple of fitted diapers that work for nighttime, and they're easy for DH to use. DH does like that we're not paying for disposable diapers. :)

ETA: Powdered detergent doesn't work here, as we have crazy hard well water. I use the cheapest free and clear detergent I can find at the store. It's usually the store brand, sometimes Purex or All. Sometimes I throw in some baking soda too.

I cloth diapered both my kids. For my first I preferred prefolds and PUL covers. For my second I had prefolds and also bought some one-sized pocket diapers. Definitely try single covers and pocket diapers before buying a bunch because a single brand won't fit every child.

Washing is the tricky part. It sometimes takes a while to find a good routine. Detergent leaves residue in everything you wash. In most clothes this doesn't matter at all, but diapers get washed frequently (so get more build-up) and build-up can cause them not to absorb as well as they should. Plus some detergents have enzymes or additives that can be irritating to skin when wet--again this won't matter in regular clothes, but is a problem in diapers. Tide definitely got my diapers the cleanest, but also gave my kids rashes so I couldn't use it as my regular diaper detergent. Another problem people have when washing diapers is not getting the bacteria all out. The diapers will seem fine when they first come out of the dryer, but once they are wet, they will smell terrible. This is from bacteria and anything else trapped in the layers that didn't get all the way clean. Many cloth diaper people don't like bleach because it isn't natural and can degrade certain fabrics and elastics. But honestly, for me, it really kept my diapers bacteria (and smell!) free and I never had any problem with it ruining diapers. So my routine looked like this: every other day (or every third day) prewash with cold water, then regular wash a free and clear detergent plus 1/4 cup bleach and an extra rinse. Then the first two loads (to make sure I got all the diapers) of each month I would do a special deep clean/strip wash. For this I did a cold prewash, then a regular wash with tide and bleach, and a single rinse. Then another regular wash with RLR which is a laundry additive that dissolves minerals and build-up. Just this monthly maintenance kept my diapers super clean. Doing it the first two loads of each month kept it easy for me to remember.

We CD'd our youngest. I found it so much easier than disposable. No leaks, no rashes, and washing wasn't difficult. I have a top loader and just ran an extra rinse with vinegar. I used mostly Chinese prefolds and fitteds the first 8-10 months, then switched to all pockets.

If you decide to try it, don't invest a lot in any one kind. Try a few and see what you like. And I found a diaper sprayer that hooks to the toilet to be worth it's weight in gold. ;)

I used cloth with mine, I prefer cloth to disposable for many reasons. Fabric softener can cause fabric (including towels and diapers) to be less absorbent. I use a special detergent I buy online, but really the important thing is to use something without all the added functions and scents. I liked using prefolds with PUL covers most, I would wash all together but dry the diapers in the dryer while putting the covers on the line. I think they lasted longer that way.

I cloth diapered all 3 of mine, with a front loader. No problems. I've tried nearly all forms of cloth and my favorite system is pocket diapers- namely Bum Genius (which I finally got with my last child). They fit from about 10 lbs til potty training and are still in EC to use for future children, should I miraculously have any more. Tri- folding prefolds into a good gusseted cover (Bummis) is also a great cheap way to go, so long as you have a few covers- I just hand washed mine and hung to dry and they were good to go within a few hours. I also used cloth wipes as my changing station was set up on the main floor beside the sink. I definitely saved tons of $ and never had a problem with the diapers not getting clean.

Re: buildup. I do have to strip my diapers every so often, a couple of times a year, maybe. That just means a lot of hot washes with no detergent, and I want to say that I added lemon juice or extra vinegar too, to break down mineral deposits. I think the last time I did it, I also added some Calgon water softener or something (which I wouldn't use every time, because I've read that it can make the diapers less absorbent). I'll occasionally bleach them too. We were noticing that a wet diaper would really smell a lot, but stripping them took care of that problem.

I've cd'd all of mine, on #4 now. I definitely have seen a cost savings and I don't find it that difficult either. I use a dry pail so especially now for the pre-solids stage all I do is dump them in the pail and a couple of times a week throw them in the washer and then the dryer(when the weather is a bit nicer I hang to dry). I use pre-folds and cannot see any reason to use anything else personally. They are about the cheapest option (expect flats) and have great absorbancy and since they are natural don't have so much the issue with build-up. There are all kinds of info out there but really it doesn't have to be all that complicated and if you stick with prefolds you can get started for less than $100.

I wish I did, but no.....to all of the above. Being baby #4, family is kind of over the whole helping thing....and no shower to register for :(

Well, if you wanted to get your feet wet you could use either thrift store recieving blankets or flour sack towels from walmart as flat diapers, and then either buy some Econobum covers or get some wool covers made from recycled sweaters..those are pretty cheap on etsy. Or if you sew, and live somewhere where you can find cheap wool sweaters at Goodwill you can make the wool covers very very cheaply, often only a few dollars each and they are quick and easy to make.

As for washing, if you are using natural fiber diapers I think it is easier than many make it out to be. Back when my first was in cloth there wasn't all this drama bout what detergent to use, how much to use, etc. 13 years ago no one "stripped" their diapers. You just washed them. I use whatever I use on my clothes, not these fancy boutique detergents that don't have any real soap in them. I use some oxyclean or bleach sometimes. Now and then I add a packet of RLR because we have super hard water and it makes them fluffier to get rid of the mineral deposits, but I diapered two kids before RLR and had no real problems, i just like that the RLR gets them softer/fluffier. I use it on my towels and clothes every now and then too. But regular detergent won't ruin your diapers. Heck, I even use some plant based (7th generation) fabric softener!

I'm interested in cloth at home when/if we should have a second child. Dh can't stand the thought of poopy diapers in the washer (we have a top loader). I'm thinking a hybrid type diaper, ones with a throw away liner (no poopy washer?). We would still use disposable while out and about or dh is going to be a lone with the kiddies. Dd was disposable, she was completely potty trained at 28 months and probably would have been sooner if we hadn't moved :)

Well, if you wanted to get your feet wet you could use either thrift store recieving blankets or flour sack towels from walmart as flat diapers, and then either buy some Econobum covers or get some wool covers made from recycled sweaters..those are pretty cheap on etsy. Or if you sew, and live somewhere where you can find cheap wool sweaters at Goodwill you can make the wool covers very very cheaply, often only a few dollars each and they are quick and easy to make.

:iagree: It would be fairly easy to try them to see what you think. We switched to cloth for our 5th and I was surprised to find that I prefer them to disposables. We bought the Flip diaper covers from Cotton Babies and for the inserts I use tri-folded microfiber towels from Sam's Club. The towels wash up very easily and dry very quickly, and they're easy to replace if they get too soiled or worn. I have 8 Flip covers and that is more than enough to get us through from wash to wash. I wash diapers Mon., Wed., and Fri.

I cloth diapered all three of mine. I started my twins from birth. It's actually really easy, lots of people are scared by the laundry aspect, but I didn't mind it at all.

I recommend trifold img prefolds and thirsties covers, and for out of the house, bum genius pockets or elemental all in ones.

We cloth diaper using pockets. I've tried all of the different kinds of cloth and pockets work best for me. Pockets with snaps, I must add. The velcro wears out and I have absolutely no time to figure out how to change the velcro on a diaper! I use bumgenius, which fits from about 1 month until potty training.

My wash cycle: store in a pail liner in a trash can. Wash every 3 days. Front loader with regular He Tide. Warm rinse to rinse off all the waste. Super wash on hot. rinse on cold. Using enough detergent is important. They always say to use much less, but I was having stink issues and having to bleach every few months. I contacted the awesome folks at abbyslane.com and they reccommended adding more detergent. Wouldnt you know, it did the trick. No more bleaching! I dry the inserts in the dryer and throw the shells over my long banister to dry. They dry within 12 hours. I wash them first thing in the morning and when I go to bed I gather them, put the inserts in and put them away. Not too big a deal.

All in ones took too long to dry. Prefolds were a pain in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

We cloth diaper using pockets. I've tried all of the different kinds of cloth and pockets work best for me. Pockets with snaps, I must add. The velcro wears out and I have absolutely no time to figure out how to change the velcro on a diaper! I use bumgenius, which fits from about 1 month until potty training.

My wash cycle: store in a pail liner in a trash can. Wash every 3 days. Front loader with regular He Tide. Warm rinse to rinse off all the waste. Super wash on hot. rinse on cold. Using enough detergent is important. They always say to use much less, but I was having stink issues and having to bleach every few months. I contacted the awesome folks at abbyslane.com and they reccommended adding more detergent. Wouldnt you know, it did the trick. No more bleaching! I dry the inserts in the dryer and throw the shells over my long banister to dry. They dry within 12 hours. I wash them first thing in the morning and when I go to bed I gather them, put the inserts in and put them away. Not too big a deal.

All in ones took too long to dry. Prefolds were a pain in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

I'd like to second SNAPS. I did not like velcro covers. YOu have to fasten them to something when you wash and I don't like any extra handling of a poopy diaper, plus even with that they get all tangled up pretty regularly in the wash (the velcro sticks to everything) and the velcro wears out after awhile. Plus all of mine could undo the velcro by age 1 or so, so we had to go with snaps to keep the diaper ON.