Menu

Calling all Disney boardies!!

DianeW88

Have you seen this: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/business/media/at-disney-parks-a-bracelet-meant-to-build-loyalty-and-sales.xml It should be interesting. Quite frankly, I don't want other park goers "planning their trips more efficiently". It ruins it for those of us who are already Park Commandos. :smilielol5: Also wondering how some kiddos will feel about having to wear an RFID bracelet all day long. I've heard they may not be removable and must be worn for the length of your trip. That is a disboard rumor however, and you know how they can be. :rofl:

I follow Kevin Yee's articles at MiceAge and MiceChat and think Disney should put the money towards 1. maintenance and 2. Star Wars Land. Universal is expanding Potter...and getting LOTR.

Nuts to micromanaging folks to glean the most money from them (how easy to spontaneously buy stuff when it only takes a flick of a wrist...) - Disney needs to work on other areas!

I hate wrist bands and the thought of it being on the entire vacation (sleeping, pool, etc) no way. Also we always get my son's room key WITHOUT charging access. So he could not have the wrist band if it included credit card access. We do let my dd have charging access on her room key but she rarely uses it.

I was reading about this a few days ago. It has its pros and cons. My main con is that it doesn't look like I can hand all tickets to my husband and have him run across the park to get us all a fastpass. Wonder how that will work?

Yes, and that is exactly the sort of thing that will mess up my perfectly laid plans! I did hear something about making fast pass "reservations" if you stay on site. Hmmmm.....

For years my husband has wanted something sort of like this. Not so detailed, but he wants the ability to put in what we want to ride and our dinner reservations and have an itinerary/reservations for us each morning. I am for this. I mean if you are staying on property and charging to you KTTW card they know what you are buying, what fast passes you are getting what parks you are going to etc. This would make it more efficient and avoid the long lines for a stupid Mickey Bar. ;-) I don't think inexperienced visitors will be more efficient, because there is just so much you don't even know about. You can't be more efficient/do more if you don't know it exists.

I follow Kevin Yee's articles at MiceAge and MiceChat and think Disney should put the money towards 1. maintenance and 2. Star Wars Land. Universal is expanding Potter...and getting LOTR.

Nuts to micromanaging folks to glean the most money from them (how easy to spontaneously buy stuff when it only takes a flick of a wrist...) - Disney needs to work on other areas!

No kidding! I'm hoping they do have big plans for Star Wars, but that they're waiting until all the new Fantasyland hoopla is out of the way. There are parts of it still not opened. Also hoping they dump "Avatar Land" like yesterday's trash. What a stupid idea that is!!!

I hate wrist bands and the thought of it being on the entire vacation (sleeping, pool, etc) no way. Also we always get my son's room key WITHOUT charging access. So he could not have the wrist band if it included credit card access. We do let my dd have charging access on her room key but she rarely uses it.

The problem is, kids would be required to wear it the entire time they're in the park. I think you could get them without charging privileges just like the current KTTW cards. I don't let my kids have that...and some of them are adults. LOL

Yes, totally hoping that Avatarland is just a rumor! I don't even like that movie! As for Hollywood Studios, I'd love to see Carsland come to Florida (cause I'm never going to travel to CA) or see them expand on their new Star Wars acquisition. A whole Star Wars land would rock. Or even just expand on the Pixar Palace portion. Have a Monsters Inc ride.....or something like that.

the way fast passes are now, my dd and I are able to get double fast passes for both her and me. My son only goes to the parks 2 days out of the 9 days we are there (he spends almost all his time at the pool) and my dh will not go on Soarin or Test Track ( I believe that is what it is called) or other fun rides so dd and I just take their room keys and each of us gets 2 fast pass tickets for each ride and get to go on them twice in a row. So don't know how these wrist bands would work for fast passes.

Yet another link for you: http://www.chipandco.com/2013/01/disney-guest-experience-level-adding-magic/ Apparently the bracelets are your room key, park ticket, Fast Pass +, Photo Pass card, and optional credit card. Also, if you are going to engage the entire system, you will need to use your Smart Phone (my dh always has his on him, so no problem there). The Magic+ app will buzz you when it's time to use your fastpass or start heading to a restaurant for your reservations. Apparently the feedback they're getting is good. We'll see, I suppose.

Well, I just don't know. It really takes any spontaneity out of things, doesn't it? Then again, Disney is probably the least spontaneous vacation we take every year, so what's a little more lost, right? Our trip is already planned on s spreadsheet, lol.

I would abhor wearing a bracelet. I can barely tolerate that during the Christmas party, and I have one DC with SPD that just absolutely wouldn't be able to.

Cars Land and Monsters, Inc. are both fabulous in Cal. and would be great in Florida. I'd love to see Star Wars expanded. We actually stopped going to Star Wars Weekends a few years ago because they just weren't nearly as great as they used to be. I'd love to see that whole area improved and the Weekends returned to their former glory!

I wonder if they will allow the bracelets to be attached to a lanyard for those who do not like to wear a bracelet.

I see both positives and negatives. I like the idea of being able to secure FPs before heading for the park, but I don't like the idea of not being able to send one person to another side of a park for FPs for everyone while the little ones keep riding rides, then eat a meal, then ride the ride using the FPs.

I have also read that securing the FPs online will be limited to those staying onsite, and we do not always stay onsite.

We rode the Under the Sea ride, which was great. The theming throughout was amazing. They have little crabs you can interact with that run back and forth collecting treasure. That was a lot of fun. I can see how much fun it would be for a child having a birthday to have Scuttle speak directly to them, but I do wonder how that will affect the experience for little ones who want to be spoken to and are not.

Disney does so many things so well. I imagine that the positives will outweigh the negatives.

I do not like the idea of collecting information on my children, but I am hoping they allow us to opt out of the "special treatment" in the parks if we do not want our children addressed personally.