Menu

Parts to whole Latin programs

SewLittleTime

Does "parts-to-whole" for Latin mean that it teaches grammar explicitly and out of context? As opposed to a "reading" program where the student reads blocks of text and figure it out as they go, with some accompanying grammar to help (or not)?

If so, I would describe Latin For Children and Latin Alive as parts-to-whole also. Actually, I'd think most Latin programs are parts-to-whole. But I'm not expert!!

This comparison chart might be helpful (although it desperately needs to be updated).

It's been a while, but I have seen that chart before. Maybe back, a couple of years ago when I began researching Latin for my first one. Now, I'm thinking about my middle one. He is a different kind of learner. I think LFC might be too much for him. That's what brought this question up for me again. I'll print that chart out and have a good look at it again. Thanks.

I looked up that chart myself thinking it had the parts-to-whole, whole-to-parts description on there. Guess it doesn't. Although, maybe the "Traditional" is what means parts-to-whole? All the current parts-to-whole mentions are stated as "Traditional" on there under "Method of Teaching."

I looked up that chart myself thinking it had the parts-to-whole, whole-to-parts description on there. Guess it doesn't. Although, maybe the "Traditional" is what means parts-to-whole? All the current parts-to-whole mentions are stated as "Traditional" on there under "Method of Teaching."

That's what I assume, too, from what I know of the Latin programs labeled Traditional on that chart.

I would LOVE an updated chart like that, including:

- lots of the new programs

- more clear info on how things are taught

- how much reading is included (sentences/ paragraphs/readers/etc.?)

- whether the reading is "true" (ancient or eccl.) Latin, versus sentences made up just to demo grammar concepts and vocab)

- whether the vocab is geared to prepare the student for reading ancient Latin or ecclesiastical Latin (not talking about pronunciation, but the actual words that are taught)

Wouldn't that be swell? Maybe some kind soul will come along and do it for all of us :D

With the exception of Cambridge's "Minimus", which I'd classify as somewhat reading-based, and Rosetta Stone Latin, which I'd classify as useless, all of the Latin programs aimed at the younger crowd teach grammar explicitly. None of them go very far, so I don't know if it is fair to classify them as "parts to whole" -- they never get to the whole.