Menu

quilt for daughter of boardie

swellmomma

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quilt update question: please bear with me; I'm new to quilting. :tongue_smilie: I am making a cross-stitch for my square, but it does not finish out to the right size. I think it is 7"X 5". I plan to frame it with fabric to equal the right size, thought I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. If I can't figure it out, I will go to the fabric store tomorrow and beg for help. Meanwhile, if someone knows of a link or whatever that would help me know how to do this, I'd appreciate that.

Also, I have a notion that the way we send this to Lisa is with the edges raw and measuring 9.5" square. Is that right? I'm assuming the raw edges become the seam allowance when she stitches them all together, right?

Quilt update question: please bear with me; I'm new to quilting. :tongue_smilie: I am making a cross-stitch for my square, but it does not finish out to the right size. I think it is 7"X 5". I plan to frame it with fabric to equal the right size, thought I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. If I can't figure it out, I will go to the fabric store tomorrow and beg for help. Meanwhile, if someone knows of a link or whatever that would help me know how to do this, I'd appreciate that.

Also, I have a notion that the way we send this to Lisa is with the edges raw and measuring 9.5" square. Is that right? I'm assuming the raw edges become the seam allowance when she stitches them all together, right?

I don't know how to attach it, but yes on the size/seam allowances. . The sqaures when sewn together will be 9".

My quilt block was mailed yesterday. There was a delay here when I went to finish the last seam and my sewing machine decided to seize up. I had to wait for a repair job to finish. But, my guess is it will be there tomorrow.

Faith

The last thing I ironed with my 8+ year old Rowenta was my quilt square. Blue sparks then came out of the iron base near the cord.

You missed my thread, Faith. What kind of iron do you use?

The last thing I ironed with my 8+ year old Rowenta was my quilt square. Blue sparks then came out of the iron base near the cord.

You missed my thread, Faith. What kind of iron do you use?

I iron with a Rowenta too. It has me concerned a bit because my mom and I purchased ours the same year - 2009 - and hers stopped working last week. Sigh....not.one.blessed.thing.is.made.to.last.

The sewing machine, An Elna Quilter's Dream, was fixable thank goodness. It probably doesn't owe me much. I've sewn on it for 13 years and it has seen SERIOUS sewing, tons and tons, without any previous maintenance.

Faith

I'm sorry I'm behind. I'm in, but I had a killer two weeks (should have looked at my schedule first). Anyway, mine's going to be pretty plain. I've never done this before and thought I just needed a simple square and bought a pretty patterned bit of cotton that could have a saying sewn in. Then I looked at the link from earlier and it looks pretty fancy. Sigh.

Mine is going in the mail today.

I've never done this before and thought I just needed a simple square and bought a pretty patterned bit of cotton that could have a saying sewn in.

This is exactly what I did. Really, it's the thought that counts!

For Lisa: I'm mailing my square today.

I have two squares ready to go (sorry late due to illness and the no-mail holiday),

BUT I cannot access the mailing address due to pm's being nonfunctional all day.

Lisa, I just want to let you know they're coming, I will send them out as soon as I can pull up the address.

BTW, anyone posting pics of their squares anywhere? Can I put it on my profile page like we could do with the old site?

I'm really hoping we can access a picture of the finished quilt. Pretty please? :) I wanted to put up a picture of my cross-stitch, but I'm too dense to figure out how to work photos now. I wasn't really good at it on the old board, even, but at least I knew a way. :tongue_smilie:

A picture of my square is in a blog post *which I removed the link to, since we were supposed to have this be a surprise, but I am obviously clueless about how any of this works, so sorry about that*

I think I was vague enough about the purpose of the square to protect privacy. I hope so.

Awesome square, Gail - I love that idea! When my babies were little I always used to lay them down for "tummy time" on a quilt with bright patterns. That really got their attention and kept them happily on their tum, strengthening their backs as they studies the squares. I can imagine our young friend going through the labyrinth you stitched, and coming out well in the end.

Gail love the labyrinth! Does everyone have access to the address again? Once it is completed, after it has been received by the recipients we will post a picture on here, but I don't want it posted until they get it. That way the design remains secret until they get it :)

Gail love the labyrinth! Does everyone have access to the address again? Once it is completed, after it has been received by the recipients we will post a picture on here, but I don't want it posted until they get it. That way the design remains secret until they get it :)

Gotcha! I'll refrain from posting a picture of my contribution until you or Lisa or astrid posts a photo of the completed project. Looking forward to that!

Ooo fun .... I'm so excited to see it! I LOVE the labyrinth - that is amazing.

I truly hope it brings some comfort.

Ack -- should I edit my post to remove the link? I think I will.

Ack -- should I edit my post to remove the link? I think I will.

no no don't worry about that. Anyone who wants to show their individual squares may do so anywhere they wish. I am speaking only of the completed project when everything is put together and it is officially a quilt.

• 2 weeks later...

Squares are coming in and Lisa is trying hard to get things sewn together in a timely fashion. And here is unfortunately where are having a problem. I love that so many people offered to send squares, the outpouring has been beautiful, and the vast majority of the squares have been delightful, followed the instructions and were sent on time.

The rest however were not. I have been trying to find a way to say this tactfully, because I do appreciate that people gave their time and such to make a square and send it. BUT when you glue a couple things on to fabric rather than sewing or use a non-quilting fabric it is a waste of your time and the one that is sewing because it can not be used in the topper. When instructions are given for the size requirements and they are not met that creates a problem for the person assembling as now they need to make the square the correct size before using it. If you send your square out 1-2 weeks late it means she can not even attempt to start sewing it together until your peice arrives. So here we are Feb 1, and we wanted this quilt done and in this child's arms by Valentine's day. There is unusable squares, there are squares that need work before being usable and there are squares that have just been sent out this week. Lisa has generously offered to give up time with her family, tending to there needs in order to sew this quilt for us and this is preventing her from doing so.

I appreciate the love and outpouring that has been offered. I appreciate the hard work so many people did to get their square out, and they are looking so beautiful. But we are not working with "homeschool time" people, there were deadlines and expectations (a plain square jsut to the right measurements was more than enough, no one had to do anything fancy). In future if you are not sure what fabrics to use, ask. IF you are going to glue onto your square, don't, it is wrong. If there are size measurements, follow them. If there are deadlines, adhere to them. If you can not do those things, do not sign up. Your heart is in the right place, I can see that, but that does not make this project a success.

I want to thank everyone again for participating. It has been such an honor to be planning a project like this for someone we care about very much. Once the final pieces have arrived and Lisa can get it all sewn together and the recipient has received it we will post a picture of it completed.

I am trying very hard to not come across as a b**ch and don't know if I am succeeding, but felt the above needed to be said. I love you all but honestly I was dismayed by the lack of adherence to fairly simple guidelines.

You do not sounds like a b**ch and I appreciate your candor. :grouphug: Honestly, if I was someone who messed up I'd like to know - but that's just me. Of course, you don't want to start getting into back-forth pm's with people who want to argue with you that they did it right - or whatever. KWIM??

I really hate to see Lisa have to do even more work to fix someone else's mistakes. I agree with Starr.

All squares will be passed on to the recipient, they were done with the right intentions, they rightfully belong to her. But not all will make it into the quilt itself, they simply can't. I am not going to call out individuals because it is neither here nor there. The good intentions were there but lacked the follow through which was my point not to point fingers or make anyone think their square was not getting to the recipient. They all are.

All squares will be passed on to the recipient, they were done with the right intentions, they rightfully belong to her. But not all will make it into the quilt itself, they simply can't. I am not going to call out individuals because it is neither here nor there. The good intentions were there but lacked the follow through which was my point not to point fingers or make anyone think their square was not getting to the recipient. They all are.

oh dear, I certainly didn't say you should post that information here! :scared: That would be - yeah, well... no. sorry if you thought that's what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those waiting to hear more. Lisa the fabulous quilter had to put the quilt aside for a bit. She is still waiting on 2 squares arrive that were mailed quite late, and her family was hit with that horrible illness that has been making the rounds SO she is making plans to send teh kids to gramma's soon so she can get to work making it whether the 2 last squares ever show up or not.

Did you know it will take her at least 8 hours to baste and quilt. That is amazing that she is doing that, but it does take preplanning and having squares that were promised not there yet doesn't help. I am so thankful her children are no longer ill and she can take the time to put all her duties at home aside to sew this for us.

I hope to have another update in a couple weeks. THank you to everyone who participated.

I did not submit a quilt square~I am NOT crafty~ but was wondering if there had been any updates on the original poster and her daughter? I have been wondering how they are doing and if they decided to press charges...anyone care to pm me? Thanks~

I will not post details due to the sensitive nature of the issue. But the girl and boardie are taking things day by day with some days being easier than others. Girl has a long way to go in her healing, and has been going through some serious struggles with it, but at the same time continues to amaze everyone with her sheer strength and character. Boardie is doing what any amazing mom would do, she is loving her daughter through this all and remaining her rock. Both boardie and girl are simply amazing with how well they are working through this. Continued prayers are always a good thing when it comes to healing from something like this. But I have to say I know without a doubt this girl will be one of the ones that comes out stronger from her experience, she is not cowering as a victim.

I will not post details due to the sensitive nature of the issue. But the girl and boardie are taking things day by day with some days being easier than others. Girl has a long way to go in her healing, and has been going through some serious struggles with it, but at the same time continues to amaze everyone with her sheer strength and character. Boardie is doing what any amazing mom would do, she is loving her daughter through this all and remaining her rock. Both boardie and girl are simply amazing with how well they are working through this. Continued prayers are always a good thing when it comes to healing from something like this. But I have to say I know without a doubt this girl will be one of the ones that comes out stronger from her experience, she is not cowering as a victim.

Just wanted to add that Boardie's husband and father of the girl is also doing an amazing job supporting her through this. Just wanted to give some props to the Dad, many times in these kind of situations the men just don't know what to do or how to act and this one has been doing an awesome job.

Thanks for updating us...

Update for those waiting to hear more. Lisa the fabulous quilter had to put the quilt aside for a bit. She is still waiting on 2 squares arrive that were mailed quite late, and her family was hit with that horrible illness that has been making the rounds SO she is making plans to send teh kids to gramma's soon so she can get to work making it whether the 2 last squares ever show up or not.

Did you know it will take her at least 8 hours to baste and quilt. That is amazing that she is doing that, but it does take preplanning and having squares that were promised not there yet doesn't help. I am so thankful her children are no longer ill and she can take the time to put all her duties at home aside to sew this for us.

I hope to have another update in a couple weeks. THank you to everyone who participated.

Just wanted to add that Boardie's husband and father of the girl is also doing an amazing job supporting her through this. Just wanted to give some props to the Dad, many times in these kind of situations the men just don't know what to do or how to act and this one has been doing an awesome job.

Absolutely! I wasn't meaning to dismiss dad's important role in all this.

• 1 month later...

There are A LOT of pages to this topic... if someone can message me or quote me so that it notifies me I would be appreciative... what exactly are these quilt squares for... a girl... I get that but what is the cause? I'm just curious... I have some material and I would love to make one but I would like to know what I am donating to. Thanks Ladies!

There are A LOT of pages to this topic... if someone can message me or quote me so that it notifies me I would be appreciative... what exactly are these quilt squares for... a girl... I get that but what is the cause? I'm just curious... I have some material and I would love to make one but I would like to know what I am donating to. Thanks Ladies!

I think it may be too late by now, as the squares were due to be mailed some time ago. It was to comfort someone in an unfortunate situation. The situation has now been deleted for privacy.

I am curious how the project is coming along though.

• 10 months later...