Menu

quilt for daughter of boardie

swellmomma

Going to my local quilt shop tomorrow to see I can get her to help me make a block. They have two Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs that come to work with them every day so they have a lot of dog prints. I'm a beginner quilter so I need a helper guide. 9 1/2" raw and the colors are purple, blue and aqua. Put me down for a square please.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to send a block for this brave and so very loved girl. Am I understanding that if I have problems I could cut the pattern for the block and send it without sewing it together? I'm really not familiar with sewing, let alone quilting, but my sister is a quilter and hopefully she can talk me through. Should a message, if included, be more secular or is something somewhat religious ok?

I would like to send a block for this brave and so very loved girl. Am I understanding that if I have problems I could cut the pattern for the block and send it without sewing it together? I'm really not familiar with sewing, let alone quilting, but my sister is a quilter and hopefully she can talk me through. Should a message, if included, be more secular or is something somewhat religious ok?

Yes you are understanding correctly. I will double check with the mom if there is a preference between secular or religious and get back to you..

Just back from the Dr. so I am coming in late to the party, but do you still need more blocks? I could make one if there is still a need. I read the thread and I would love to help.

Any and all blocks are welcome, it will just be a bigger quilt the more we get. No limits, so If you want to contriibute let me know and I will give you the address of where to send your square.

I would love to contribute, but I only crochet. I'm not sure how to do a backing for it. If I send a crocheted square, will it be useful? Otherwise, I can come up with something else to contribute.

So much love to this mother and daughter!

Well I shouldn't speak for Lisa, but I am sure if you sent in a crocheted square she would know how to back it to include it in the quilt. You may want to ask her directly though :)

I would love to contribute, but I only crochet. I'm not sure how to do a backing for it. If I send a crocheted square, will it be useful? Otherwise, I can come up with something else to contribute.

So much love to this mother and daughter!

There are a couple of crocheted squares in mine. I think you just tack it to a square....

You can do a lot of things with 9" squares even if you can't sew. The things you can do MOST to help with the actual fabric part is to make sure you cut it as "straight of grain" as possible--that is, so that the edges match the direction of the threads. That will keep the quilt from puckering.

You can dye, stain, draw on, paint on fabric. You can sew on buttons or ribbons. You can write in permanent ink. You can take it to a copy store and have a picture printed on it.

If you have a lot of scraps you can sew them together in rows and cut a 9.5" square out of that jumble. ("God writes straight with crooked lines." comes to mind here.)

There are some fabric stores that sell really amazing fabrics that you could cut the exact 9.5" square you want out of it, and that would be good as gold.

By the way, I'm in. Molly and I have the same exact favorite color set. I could make her a 9.5 ACRE square out of my stash of those colors. :)

You are practically my neighbor!

Sorry to bug, and Brandy, forgive me if you haven't heard back from the daughter's mama, but I was wondering if you had any additional information about a motif or favorite style.

We have fabrics that are boho, some that are geometric, some that are shabby chic. Not sure what to go with here.

It'll be fun to do this with dd (the quilter) tomorrow. I'm glad she's still home. Like the other poster, I'm hoping we'll have a good, although sobering, conversation as we do this.

With some of the baby-daddy threads from last month, I need to have a walk-and-talk with ds, as well.

Seriously, I don't think teens can envision the consequences, when I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how difficult their lives can be from circumstances that can come their way.

Sigh!

Oh, and one other thing...I'm so thankful for and proud to be a part of the Hive. Thanks to all of you and to SWB.

I want to contribute. I have enough solid purple fabric to make a square. It doesn't have to be pieced squares does it? I was thinking of painting some encouraging words on it. Would that work? Please send me the address of where it needs to go.

That would be perfect! I will pm you in a moment

Sorry to bug, and Brandy, forgive me if you haven't heard back from the daughter's mama, but I was wondering if you had any additional information about a motif or favorite style.

We have fabrics that are boho, some that are geometric, some that are shabby chic. Not sure what to go with here.

It'll be fun to do this with dd (the quilter) tomorrow. I'm glad she's still home. Like the other poster, I'm hoping we'll have a good, although sobering, conversation as we do this.

With some of the baby-daddy threads from last month, I need to have a walk-and-talk with ds, as well.

Seriously, I don't think teens can envision the consequences, when I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how difficult their lives can be from circumstances that can come their way.

Sigh!

Oh, and one other thing...I'm so thankful for and proud to be a part of the Hive. Thanks to all of you and to SWB.

I have not heard back about a favorite motif. The family is circling the wagons so to speak tonight so I have asked them but won't bother them. Go with your gut. I think the shabby chic would look great but if one of your fabrics jumps out at you use that one, it wants to be part of the giant hug this quilt represents.

I want to contribute. I have enough solid purple fabric to make a square. It doesn't have to be pieced squares does it? I was thinking of painting some encouraging words on it. Would that work? Please send me the address of where it needs to go.

Me too! I can't sew, but would love to send a square with something written/painted on it. I have fabric paint.

I have been trying to keep up with pming people with the mailing address. If you have signed up and I have not pm'd you with it yet please pop me a message so I can get it to you. I won't be on the forum much longer tonight, need to spend some time talking with my daughter and getting ready for tomorrow. If anyone else wants to join in please don't hesitate. There is never too many participants.

When I thought of doing the quilt I thought of it as a giant hug from us all when the daughter wraps it around her. The inspirational/empowering words written on it will be like us telling her those things while we hug her. So if you want to be part of that hug, whether with a block, a note, a card, a donation, or any other way you can think of please do. There is no wrong way to show love and support to this girl and tell her we care, we believe her, we support her.

For those of us without sewing/crafting/creative abilities, would our children be able to draw on a square with fabric markers?

Also, can someone clue me on who this is for. I must have missed a post or two about Astrid's dd because I have no clue what's going on. If something happened today, I haven't had a chance to read the forum yet. If it's been ongoing, that I'm out it totally.

The original thread had been deleted for the protection of the minor involved.

I'm tring to keep up with messaging but I have been on an internet break except for this, however I DO get notification when I get a PM.

If anyone wants to send a hug, a note, anything but don't sew, absolutely do that! I plan to get everything together and make one big package. A few have stated they do not sew but will be writing a card, or something else. If you write, draw, paint, etc anything will be so loved.

I also need the address. Are we planning to send this off before next week?

ETA: I only just read the update in the OP. If Lisa would rather me not make a square, that is fine. I can send a card or poem or something along with the package. I have not quilted before, though I am creative and I can sew and cross-stitch. I will not be in any way offended if another square is not necessary; just let me know what you wish for me to do. I really just want to do anything to show this young lady and her family love.

I also need the address. Are we planning to send this off before next week?

ETA: I only just read the update in the OP. If Lisa would rather me not make a square, that is fine. I can send a card or poem or something along with the package. I have not quilted before, though I am creative and I can sew and cross-stitch. I will not be in any way offended if another square is not necessary; just let me know what you wish for me to do. I really just want to do anything to show this young lady and her family love.

Pm'd you but thought i would share this bit here too.

The hope is to have everyone have their block in the mail to Lisa by the 20th, so that there is a good 7-10 days for everything to arrive then she can start laying it out and peicing together and have it in the mail to the recipient by Valentine's day.

If you can make a square feel free to, if you can not than a donation, card, letter, poem or whatever is better at this time. Lisa has commited herself to making many squares on behalf of others, and she will finish the ones she committed to, we are just not committing to anymore like that at this time :)

I finished mine today....can someone tell me the best way to mail it? How do you protect it in the mail?

When I send mine I will be using one of those white, waterproof padded envelopes. It should protect it from any moisture, ripping etc. and the adhesive on the flap is extremely sticky so it shouldn't be able to release and the square fall out or anything.

I participate in block exchanges every month- putting it in a ziploc bag and a regular envelope has always worked well. If you don't normally use ziplocs, it's probably cheaper to just buy a padded envelope. Folding it is ok- it's easy to iron out any creases- but usually after I take a block out, the creases work themselves out since they aren't heat set.

It's so heartwarming to see so many folks joining in!

SOrry thatI haven't been checking here. I just wanted to say a quick tip for mailing if you don't have any special envelopes. Just fold it up in a ziplock and put it in a regular envelope. I"ll press everything fresh before sewing :) If sending one block you sould be ok with just one stamp, maybe one first class and one secondary.

Thank you everyone for everything you have given, time and fund wise for this special project. You are all some awesome ladies :D

SOrry thatI haven't been checking here. I just wanted to say a quick tip for mailing if you don't have any special envelopes. Just fold it up in a ziplock and put it in a regular envelope. I"ll press everything fresh before sewing :) If sending one block you sould be ok with just one stamp, maybe one first class and one secondary.

Thank you everyone for everything you have given, time and fund wise for this special project. You are all some awesome ladies :D

Even though I'm not online much lately I still get email notification when I get a message so feel free to PM me anytime