Menu

quilt for daughter of boardie

swellmomma

Update: We have overtaxed poor Lisa! Her generousity has gotten the best of her. For those that wish to contribute but do NOT know how to sew, you can still contribute in other ways, with a card, or a donation or other little gift of your choosing. If you CAN sew and want to make a square we can always make the quilt bigger to include your block. We would like everyone who wishes to contribute to find a way to do so without sending our seamstress into a midlife crisis. You ladies here on the hive are amazing and so many of you have rallied together to make this quilt be amazing for the daughter. If you can not sew and think you have to pay something, you do not, a letter or card to the daughter showing your support is very much welcomed. All of those things will be included in the package with the quilt so she gets a huge package of love from all of us at the hive. As before, if you need the mailing address or the paypal address pm myself or justLisa and we will get that information to you asap. Thank you

I know everyone is eager to start on the quilt for Julie but we need another one asap

I think we need to make one for a Boardie's daughter (names removed for privacy). That sweet girl needs to know there is a whole lot of ladies that care about her, support her and want her to feel secure. She has a lot of healing to do and I think we can help her take a step towards that knowing that she is believed and she is loved.

If anyone wants to participate message me here or via pm. I think it would be great if your square could include an inspirational word, or if you include a note supporting her with your square. Lisa has generously offered to collect teh squares and sew them together so we do not have to take it to a quilt shop and any included notes along with the finished quilt will be passed on to the boardie and her daughter

UPDATE: The girl's favorite colors are blue, purple and aqua. So if you want to make you quilt one of those colors great. Otherwise pick a color that would look nicely with those. Size 9.5" squares raw, so 9" finished

detailed directions for newbies coming up.

Ideas for some who perhaps have craft talents ourside of quilting. Cross stitch a design and cut the aida cloth to the size of square. Knit or crochet a granny square and then back with cotton fabric so it can be sewn into the quilt. How about draw with fabric paints on a square if drawing or painting is more your style.

Lisa has also said that if you have inspirational words to add but don't want to hand sew them on she has an embroidery machine that she will use. Just write the words on a peice of paper and pin to the square where you want them.

Once you have your square done and are ready to mail it pm me or justLisa for the address of where to send it. I am not going to put that sort of private info in this thread :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one time I wish I knew how to quilt.

If you don't know how to make a square, or simply can't right now, an inspirational note supporting her can still be passed on :)

Can you give us directions on how to make a square? I mean directions for those of us who don't own sewing machines and would have to go buy even a needle and thread??

I'd love, love, love to do this. I just need directions.

I am new to quilting too, but I will post directions in a short bit, have to write them up first :) Thank you for the interest.

I'm in- do you want the blocks sent to you as 9.5 inches or are you looking for 9.5 finished, meaning that they need to be 10 inches square?

If someone wants to participate but has no sewing skills, I'd also be willing to make some blocks for people to add their own words- I'll leave a white or off-white portion and you can use a thin sharpie or a fabric marker to add your words of encouragement.

I'm not online much so someone can message me, but I can contribute. I don't know if you meant having a quilt shop actually do the quilting? Depending on when I can help with that....er, do the quilting. With 9 inch finished blocks you need about 35-42 for a good sized throw. I have a large stash of those colors and enough yardage for a backing, and I buy Warm and White cotton batting by the bolt. I can do decorative quilting and put everything together with sashing/borders if necessary to tie in the colors. Unless someone else is already planning to do this.....I can still make blocks .

Thinking of you Astrid

Oh and I can do machine embroidery of text so if there is anything anyone wants to say and NOT hand stitch that is a possibility. Like a card on fabric or something.

I'm in. I just went through my fabric stash and know I have some blue and purple in there. I'll do my best to get it done so I can mail it off this weekend. I actually will have most of tomorrow free since it's a day off for us due to dentist appointments and my dh is still on leave.

Count me in. 9.5" block...color scheme. Was a color scheme or theme decided on? I've got a bit in my stash so I should be able to accomodate anything. PM me with the mailing address. I could get a block done this afternoon and have it in the mail tomorrow.

Seriously, whatever you want, organize it and let me know. I'll raid my stash, sew, or donate or all three. Whatever needs to be done. Just say the word. I also have warm and natural batting, and a fabric stash for quilting. So, say the word if you need me to send supplies.

Faith

Can someone post a picture of what they are doing? I can sew simple simple patterns but haven't done any quilting. I want to do a square though. I just need a better idea of what I'm supposed to do.

OH! OHMYWORD!!! I've only been refreshing that one thread--- never looked at the whole board and am only seeing this now.......

OH I am SO touched! I just....wow...... seriously?? I'm floored. We are so loved, blessed and supported. Gosh. I came here in 2002 looking for homeschooling resources when we decided to pull Molly out of second grade. What I have gained is a treasure beyond all imaginging.

I love you all.........and we can feel your support and love, and are forever grateful.

astrid and family

Can someone post a picture of what they are doing? I can sew simple simple patterns but haven't done any quilting. I want to do a square though. I just need a better idea of what I'm supposed to do.

It can be any quilt block (finished) at 9"

You can do something as simple as a 4 patch. Which would be (4) 5" blocks stitched together 2 on top 2 on bottom alternating colors. Keeping a 1/4" seam, that makes a block that is 9.5." The half inch is so when they are all sewn together the blocks are each 9" finished.

Or you can cut a 9.5 inch square and embroider something.....basically anything that is 9.5." Quilt blocks are kind of standard sizes but if you google quilt blocks 9 inch you get tons of pictures and patterns

Sorry to vanish with so many questions, had to get the kids set up on their next assignment

Okay to clarify the squares will be 9.5" raw so 9" finished

The colors will be blue, purple and aqua, which are Molly's favorite colors. OR a square that will coordinate with those if you can't find any of those in your stash :).

Thank you Lisa for your awesome talent, I will definitely be taking you up on it. For those that want to contribute but can't sew that is an option you can take up too. Cut your square, write what words you want on a peice of paper and pin to the fabric where you want it, Lisa can then use her embroidery machine to stitch those words on and viola instant square, and no sewing experience needed :)

OH! OHMYWORD!!! I've only been refreshing that one thread--- never looked at the whole board and am only seeing this now.......

OH I am SO touched! I just....wow...... seriously?? I'm floored. We are so loved, blessed and supported. Gosh. I came here in 2002 looking for homeschooling resources when we decided to pull Molly out of second grade. What I have gained is a treasure beyond all imaginging.

I love you all.........and we can feel your support and love, and are forever grateful.

astrid and family

I know right. Just how I felt when they put one together for me. (((Astrid)))

Sorry to vanish with so many questions, had to get the kids set up on their next assignment

Okay to clarify the squares will be 9.5" raw so 9" finished

The colors will be blue, purple and aqua, which are Molly's favorite colors. OR a square that will coordinate with those if you can't find any of those in your stash :).

Thank you Lisa for your awesome talent, I will definitely be taking you up on it. For those that want to contribute but can't sew that is an option you can take up too. Cut your square, write what words you want on a peice of paper and pin to the fabric where you want it, Lisa can then use her embroidery machine to stitch those words on and viola instant square, and no sewing experience needed :)

THAT is a great idea.

Or another thing, use a 6ish inch square and then I"ll embroider and add sashing to the square to help tie in with the color scheme.

Thanks Brandy, this is a wonderful idea.

((Astrid))

Is there a due date for this project?

I would love to have all squares enroute by the 20th of this month. So that there is enough time for them all to get to Lisa and be put together. I would love for daughter to get the completed quilt sooner rather than later

Okay, so I've got a block made of two batiks, and one paisley-ish print. Purples, lavenders, aquas and a smidge of blue. Finished size 9.5" Where do I send it and do you need more?

GailV, whatever block you make, you want the finished size to be 9.5" this means that when joined together, 1/4" of an inch (the seam allowance for standard quilting) on each size is used up in the seam and so the blocks, if measured after they are each set together, will be 9".

I can make more if necessary...I've got enough of these prints to make three more if we don't have enough quilters on board. I just need instructions.

When this is done, I need to know what we are all doing for Julie's quilt so I can get that done and mailed too!

Faith

I want to do this, but I have never made a quilt before (though I do sew). When I sew the quilt square, it's just the top correct? Not anything else-that all (the batting and the rest) gets done when the whole top of the quilt is assembled?

And could I get a pm of the address to send it?

I want to do this, but I have never made a quilt before (though I do sew). When I sew the quilt square, it's just the top correct? Not anything else-that all (the batting and the rest) gets done when the whole top of the quilt is assembled?

And could I get a pm of the address to send it?

I'll send you the address. And yes, JUST a (finished at 9") 9.5 inch block :)

I wish I had time to make a block, but my month is ridiculous. If I wanted to send something else to include in the package (I'm thinking a bracelet with affirmative words like "love", "joy", "dream", etc. or even those "worry rocks" with similar positive expressions on them that you can hold in your hand when you feel a little anxious), is that acceptable? If it is, let me know to whom I should send it, and I'll PM them for the address. Thanks!!

I wish I had time to make a block, but my month is ridiculous. If I wanted to send something else to include in the package (I'm thinking a bracelet with affirmative words like "love", "joy", "dream", etc. or even those "worry rocks" with similar positive expressions on them that you can hold in your hand when you feel a little anxious), is that acceptable? If it is, let me know to whom I should send it, and I'll PM them for the address. Thanks!!

This will cost to ship to her, let me know who I should paypal and I'll donate $20 to ship it. OK.

I will make a couple of squares for the boardies brave, sweet daughter.

I'd love to help, please pm me the address to send it to.Thanks

Absolutely! What a great idea.

I will be pming everyone quoted here with the address of where to mail to in a moment :)

I would love to contribute as well. I've never made a quilt square before, but I think I will enlist Honeybee's help. I'm actually thinking that if I could discuss this situation with her just a bit, and if she helps me with the square, she will be better prepared to be like this brave girl and come tell me if anything horrendous happens in her life.

Add me, swellmama!

I saw colors, but did not see a theme?

I have not been reading the boards for a while, if there's anything I should/need to know, please somebody post a link to the informative thread. [ETA - saw it was deleted, I got it, just need to know if there's a theme to avoid, kwim?] Something makes me think it might be for @$trid's sweet dogloving dd? If so, I can guess a theme for her.

Anyway, count me in!

Add me, swellmama!

I saw colors, but did not see a theme?

I have not been reading the boards for a while, if there's anything I should/need to know, please somebody post a link to the informative thread. [ETA - saw it was deleted, I got it, just need to know if there's a theme to avoid, kwim?] Something makes me think it might be for @$trid's sweet dogloving dd? If so, I can guess a theme for her.

Anyway, count me in!

I'll PM you.