Menu

Enthusiastic Book Endorsement

Tina in Ouray mentioned a few books she would be using to teach writing. I'm not usually so impulsive, but I immediately went and bought The Writer's Workshop: Imitating Your Way to Better Writing by Gregory L. Roper.

http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Workshop-Imitating-Better-Writing/dp/1933859334

I am so glad that I bought it! I am going to use it with my high school writing/lit class. These students have studied writing with me for up to 5 years (some less than that-but the core group is 5 years). The book is exactly what I was looking for!

Strengths:

1. Clear instructions written for the students. However, it does not talk down to them either.

2. The challenges build throughout the book gradually.

3. Many of the assignments are multi-step, rather than throwing great chunks at the kids.

4. The authors imitated are GREAT authors and/or the selections are from great works: Dickens, Hemingway, the Bible, Thomas Aquinas, and Cicero and a speech of Sojourner Truth.

5. There are examples of how students actually accomplished the exercises.

6. The book can be used without conforming to a special system of writing with lots of specialized vocabulary and rules.

7. The book requires critical thinking and I believe students will be intrigued by the approach.

8. Practicing what has been learned is written into the book. It appears to be a reasonable amount of practice. There are approximately 45 assignments.

9. I do not plan on modifying the assignments at all. It is pick up and go! :party:

Since I modify EVERYTHING- this is a miracle to me!

Chapters:

1. Voices of the Senses: Learning How to Describe

2. Voices of Observation: Describing Actions, Making Meaning

3. Voices of Definition: Making Complex Distinctions

4. Voices of Authority: Making Rules

Reflection How You Can Build Beginnings Our of Nothing

5. Voices of Logic: Making Sense

6. Voices of Argument: Persuading Others

7. Voices of Negotiation: Shaping Your World

Reflection

How You Can Build Shape Out of a "Mess"

Setting Up Shop For Yourself

Leaving the Workshop and Becoming a Master

I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all might have.

Hope this is helpful.

Holly

I'm so glad you posted on this. I signed up ds for Cindy Marsch (of http://www.writingassessment.com) Marsch's beginning progymnasmata and when I clicked on her blog link wrasselings.blogspot.com

(shoot, I don't know how to link this) , she wrote a very enthusiastic review on this book. I almost bought this right offhand but decided to wait.

Thanks so much for the review. I'm excited to get a copy for myself. I have D'Angelo's book but so far, this progymnasmata thing hasn't clicked yet in the right places in my dense brain.

So glad you like it, Holly! Dr. Roper was one the first professors my daughter had for Literary Traditions (a core class) at University of Dallas. He was a gem!

I wish I lived in Dallas so I could take a class from him. I love his approach. Thanks again for recommending the book.

Holly

I'm so glad you posted on this. I signed up ds for Cindy Marsch (of http://www.writingassessment.com) Marsch's beginning progymnasmata and when I clicked on her blog link wrasselings.blogspot.com

(shoot, I don't know how to link this) , she wrote a very enthusiastic review on this book. I almost bought this right offhand but decided to wait.

Thanks so much for the review. I'm excited to get a copy for myself. I have D'Angelo's book but so far, this progymnasmata thing hasn't clicked yet in the right places in my dense brain.

Teacalm, if Cindy Marsch recommended it, it must be a good book! We've used her for three progymnasmata tutorials (1 at the beginning level, 2 at the Intermediate/Advanced levels---we just "delved" into the Advanced level a bit). She's fantastic! I think you'll really like her as a writing instructor!

Did anyone have experience with this curriculum and Classical Writing? Please give me some feedback. thanks.

I have not used CW. I've only looked at it online. IMHO CW is very comprehensive. It is an entire program. The levels build on each other. From what I've read, even high schoolers go back to the beginning of the program to acquire that foundation.

However, my students are in 9-12 grade and have studied writing using IEW. So, I don't want to back to the beginning of any program. WW is a book that essentially allows me to take a strong writer and teach them imitation at a high level.

HTH,

Holly

What age do you think it would be suitable for Holly? I am kinda sorta following Brave Writer principles with J but I think we need something a little more structured.

Hi Sandra,

The class I'm going to use this book with are ages 14-17. (No seniors this year.) My dd is one of the 14 year olds and I feel comfortable using it. Just a little background so you know what these students have completed in the past. I generally assign a five paragraph essay/critique/report a week. Several of these students have also completed Traditional Logic I & II.

The book does not teach how to write an essay/report in a standard sense. It teaches skills like description and persuasion by imitating a great author or work. It instructs students to both look at the style of the author and the structure the author chooses to use. In some cases these are pretty traditional styles and structures. In other cases I'd consider them more classical.

The book does not demand students write 5 paragraphs a week. In fact, in many cases they are only writing a paragraph. However, there is a lot of thought that goes into each paragraph. This is a thinking exercise! IMO, the benefit is that stronger writers can complete this book in addition to other writing projects at the same time.

I think the book is good for a student who likes to read and write. I think it is helpful if the student is already comfortable with the basic conventions of writing: essay, report and critique. My idea is that you could take what you learn in WW and apply it to what you already know about writing. Some of you out there might be able to do WW and then teach essay, report and critique.....but that feels backwards to me. :D

I hope that helps,

Holly

I'm planning to use Lively Art of Writing this year to help my 9th grade ds practice essay writing (focused practice on this skill).

Your review of WW sounds great! It sounds like it would be a good book to use in 10th grade to further develop his writing style and logical construction.

He likes to write - we used R&S grades 4-8.

I'd be interested in your opinion, Holly.

Cindy

I'm planning to use Lively Art of Writing this year to help my 9th grade ds practice essay writing (focused practice on this skill).

Your review of WW sounds great! It sounds like it would be a good book to use in 10th grade to further develop his writing style and logical construction.

He likes to write - we used R&S grades 4-8.

I'd be interested in your opinion, Holly.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I bought LAofW to use with my class this year. I completely planned out the first 11 weeks of class with the intent to use it. I really, really like the book. The only drawback for my group of students is that there is not a great deal of new material. It was more of the same type of instruction, dressed up in a different way. So, I was a little concerned about the more advanced students in the class finding it tedious. That is why I am going to instead use WW. I will use LAofW with a class eventually. Just not these older students.

LAofW is another book that you can open and go. It is written with clear instructions. It takes you step-by-step through the essay writing process. At the end there is a section on research reports, but I cannot vouch for it as I did not intend to use it. I think the author makes good recommendations for structure and style.

I did intend to add a segment on writing timed essays into our practice of essay writing. LAofW doesn't cover that end of essay writing.

WW would be a good book to work through after LAofW. It will cover very different approaches to writing.

HTH,

Holly

Could you adapt this to an upper grammar level (5th-6th)?

Thanks

It would take a good deal of adapting. Of course, only you would be able to tell by looking at the book and assessing your abilities with adapting. Some people find it easier to adapt something than others. I think it would be a lot easier to do Imitations in Writing from Logos.

http://www.logosschool.com/materials/shop/category.asp?catid=19

Holly

So glad you like it, Holly! Dr. Roper was one the first professors my daughter had for Literary Traditions (a core class) at University of Dallas. He was a gem!

Okay I live in Dallas and got all giddy at the very thought of my dd taking a course from this guy. Then I go to UD website and see he's not teaching this coming semester. Then I go to the Amazon link for his book and read THIS:

About the Author

Gregory L. Roper, is based in Irving, Texas, (University of Dallas) and from July 1st 2007 will be working in Rome, Italy.

:( Boo hoo! Maybe I'll have to send her to Rome to take his class. I guess it's a lot cheaper to buy his book! :)

I received my Writer's Workshop today and have read through the first lesson. It is excellent and based on the first lesson is very usable. I can't wait to start. I'm so grateful for this board and all the networking it provides.

Woohoo! I was secretly getting a little worried about everyone taking my recommendation! What if they don't like it?:scared:

I am relieved that someone likes it! Thanks for posting Michelle.

Holly