Menu

Looking for chemistry....

naturally

For my boys, 4th and 1st (and a toddler under foot). Would prefer Christian, easy to implement, good text - don't want to *have* to supplement books to get meat, no weird supplies needed, easy to do 2 days a week, budget friendly

Need some direction, suggestions, anything.

Using just the library is not an option. Tried that and nothing gets done.

Elemental Science Chemistry. Love their science, it is one that will get done. Takes 15 mins tops a day. Includes notebooking and one lab a week (easy to to but has actual value and uses everyday things). If you want more experiments add in RSO. We did this combination for life science and it was a wonderful year. The ES Chemisty RSO combination is what I am going to do next year.

It's neutral rather than Christian, but we are planning to use Mr. Q chemistry next year. We have really enjoyed Mr. Q's biology and earth science books these past 2 years. It will be 50% off if you purchase it between Jan 13th-20th.

:iagree: We are using this, and the kids really enjoy it.

I am using Mr. Q's elementary chemistry for my 4th and 6th graders. I do not require my 2nd and ker to participate. My 6th grader is doing it mostly independently and I am reading and explaining it to my 4th grader. I am supplementing with The Elements by McHenry. I think McHenry's text is a lot better than Mr. Q's, but Mr. Q's is set up better and has vocab review workshets for my oldest to become more familiar with the vocabulary.

I think it is too much for a 2nd grader--at least, my second grader.

My dd is going to be in 5th grade next year, and she wants to do Chemistry as well. So, I've spent a considerable amount of time researching curriculum for her. We had been using the Christian Kids Explore series and I really liked it, but I'm finding I have to supplement a lot because I don't feel it digs deeply enough.

With that in mind, I narrowed in on two curriculums:

022079.jpg

Elements: The Ingredients of the Universe Introduction to Chemistry Curriculum with CD as well as it's companion:

032392.jpg

Carbon Chemistry: Organic Chem and Biochem I was thinking of doing both of these in one year. These are offered at www.rainbowresource.com.

However, I, like you, wish to use a Christian Curriculum. I was fortunate to find the following:

God's Design for Chemistry & Ecology: Properties of Matter Teacher & Student Pack

God's Design for Chemistry & Ecology: Properties of Atoms & Molecules Teacher & Student Pack

These are offered through CBD only as a 3-Pack (includes Ecology) for $78.99 or you could purchase each individual title for $26.99 each. Each individual set comes with a Teacher & Student manual as well as a CD. I would not do the Ecology so I would purchase the other two separately.

Although I really like the sound of Elements & Carbon Chemistry, I really want that Christian element. Plus, after reviewing what I can online at CBD, I've discovered that the God's Design Chemistry series also uses Kitchen Chemistry. That's what appealed to me in the other set.

I hope this helps.