Menu

Is it too late to fill in gaps?

Yolanda in Mass

My son is a biology major in college (sophomore) who is struggling mightily with chemistry and any other courses that have more than a minimal math component (i.e., genetics). He's a smart kid, works very hard, and even went for chem tutoring, which he says didn't help, but is convinced that: (a) he does not have the math and science foundation needed to succeed, and he's just "dumb" at math. I would agree that we did not provide him with a strong enough math foundation (beating myself up on that one), but totally disagree on his other conclusions.

As a result of his struggles he is planning on changing his major as he doesn't believe he can do the work. He is very interested in genetics and other areas in biology, but is resigned to believing he doesn't have what it takes. Do you think there comes a time when you have to accept that it's too late to fill in these types of gaps? Any suggestions, experiences anybody could share? Thanks!

I'm not sure what to suggest, but I do wonder since he's convinced himself if it is possible to overcome it or not. The pre-set brain can be a hard thing to change if it's sure it can't.

The only thing I can possibly think of would be to talk to someone in the field so he could see if he really needs the in-depth math when on the job he wants or only needs it for the classes. If mainly for the classes, then he might be willing to dog through the math in class.

I think that he could try to take math courses/tutoring during the summer and winter break - even during the week long breaks. One- on- one tutoring with a good tutor that knows what type of math your son would need to work on - would help level out his skills. I'd even try immediately to hire a college math tutor to work 3 hours a week or so with your son - no homework assignments but just remediation on the particular math he needs for his current courses. And if that tutor is not working out - try a different one until you get a good fit. Ask the professors for advice on continuing in his major and also get names of tutors. See if that helps.

Myra

My son is a biology major in college (sophomore) who is struggling mightily with chemistry and any other courses that have more than a minimal math component (i.e., genetics). He's a smart kid, works very hard, and even went for chem tutoring, which he says didn't help, but is convinced that: (a) he does not have the math and science foundation needed to succeed, and he's just "dumb" at math. I would agree that we did not provide him with a strong enough math foundation (beating myself up on that one), but totally disagree on his other conclusions.

As a result of his struggles he is planning on changing his major as he doesn't believe he can do the work. He is very interested in genetics and other areas in biology, but is resigned to believing he doesn't have what it takes. Do you think there comes a time when you have to accept that it's too late to fill in these types of gaps? Any suggestions, experiences anybody could share? Thanks!

I don't think it's ever too late, but your son's attitude is key. He has to believe that he can do it, and he must also be willing to do some hard work. I would suggest that he look for tutoring in the math department, if at all possible, because if his problem is a few specific gaps in basic algebra skills someone in the math department could probably find and work through the problem area(s) quickly. If there's something else going on such as an ability for mastering paradigms well enough to fulfill prerequisites without really understanding the big picture, he will probably get the best help (long-term) in the math department--possibly by taking a college algebra course over the summer.

From what I've seen, college algebra courses take some time for review of high school concepts and don't move as quickly into pre-calculus topics. My son took college algebra and pre-calculus even though "on paper" he could have begun with Calc. I. The section of your post I bolded sounds a lot like our experience.

It is not too late, especially if a summer session or extra semester will be possible. Chemistry and biology do not need advanced math abilities but students should be solid on their skills through college algebra. He should not give up on tutoring. It can make all the difference. If he isn't finding a tutoring center helpful, he should try a private tutor. Has he taken any math courses at college? How did he do? I would start there and put off additional science courses until he has the math skills. This is why a summer session or extra semester may be necessary.

Finally, he should consider asking a fellow classmate who is doing well for a study session or two. I had a dramatic turnaround in one of my own college classes by doing this. I was borderline failing and couldn't follow the professor's lectures. In a single study session, by having the student work through the same material with me, it was like a light switch went on in my head and it suddenly all made sense.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. In particular, I like the idea of finding a tutor for him in the math department. I'm also wondering about his ability for mastering paradigms well enough to fulfill prerequisites without really understanding the big picture that Tullia mentions. He has said that it's not the chemistry that's confusing, but when the math and chem come together, oy vey, that's when it starts falling apart for him.

I have pretty much let him handle everything at school, but I may place a call to the math department and see how they can help. I would love to be able to talk to someone in the chem or bio department regarding his struggles to see what they suggest but I know that would be inappropriate for me to do.

If I thought his obstacles were insurmountable, then I wouldn't be so troubled by his decision to switch. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Chemistry and biology do not need advanced math abilities but students should be solid on their skills through college algebra.

My degree in Chemistry required Calculus; I believe this was true for Biology majors as well.

I do agree with the idea that your son should get a tutor now.

Regards,

Kareni