Menu

reading list Ancients

Hi, school year starts in January here. We are about to start the Ancients logic stage.

I would love peoples recommendations .

this is what I have so far;

Gilgamesh

Herodotus and the Road to History

Tales of Ancient Egypt

the Golden Goblet

Hittite Warrior

Beyond the Desert Gate

Victory on the Walls

The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who lived before Achilles

The Children's Homer

In Search of a Homeland

Aesop's Fables

The Bronze Bow

thanks

For Mesopotamia, we enjoyed The Golden Bull. Some others on my list:

Pyramid & City both by David Macaulay

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

The Trojan War by Coolidge

Black Ships Before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Theras and his Town

Augustus Caesars World

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Ides of April

Eagle of the Ninth

This is our list

Gilgamesh

The Golden Goblet

Black Ships before Troy

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Adara

God King

In Search of a Homeland

The Bronze Bow

The Eagle of the Ninth trilogy

I also have The Golden Fleece and Tales from Ancient Egypt, but we are not reading these in their entirety.

I'm keeping our nice and short since the kids also have certain historical interests that they are focusing on. I'm using the following as part of our book basket ust to enrich Human Odyssey readings (just up through ancient Rome this year), and maybe get the kids intrigued a little more...

The Golden Bull

Tales from Ancient Egypt

Tales from China

Tales from India

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Black Ships before Troy

The Eagle of the Ninth trilogy

Additonally, ds and I are reading The Story of Greece (MacGregor), and dd and I are going through the American Girl books (the hist. fiction ones).

This CD audiobook of The Odyssey was a success with my son. He has played it half a dozen times already now:

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-From-Odyssey-CD-Collection/dp/0061254576/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357431133&sr=1-6&keywords=%22the+odyssey%22+audiobook

It's 8 hours and sticks to the storyline, minus graphic violence and sex. It will save your voice, if you read the books aloud.

This CD audiobook of The Odyssey was a success with my son. He has played it half a dozen times already now:

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-From-Odyssey-CD-Collection/dp/0061254576/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357431133&sr=1-6&keywords=%22the+odyssey%22+audiobook

It's 8 hours and sticks to the storyline, minus graphic violence and sex. It will save your voice, if you read the books aloud.

About activity books, I like History Pockets (Rome & Greece) and the Ancient Civilizations series by Frank Schaffer Publications (Egypt, Israel, Mesopotamia...). The questions in the Ancient Civ. series make kids think and make connections. There are some activity pages & projects in them as well. This link shows the whole set: http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Civilization-Series-Middle-Volumes/dp/B008ZGXQQQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357432287&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Ancient+Civilizations+by+Frank+Shcaffer

http://www.amazon.co...ssey" audiobook

That looks great. I have put it into my wish list.