Menu

4 weeks of just Science and History? WDYT?

So, I sat down to schedule our next few weeks out, and started looking at things a bit more and realized that we are 'behind' about 10 weeks in science and 8-10 in history. (You go, Mama! :bored: )

I continued looking at things and realized that at the current pace, both girls will finish 2 of their workbooks in early May. So I think I'm going to do a January Block. I think for the next 3-4 weeks we are doing 2 science and 2 history lessons each day, and we will drop the 2 workbooks the girls are ahead in. Just for those weeks.

Our science and history are both just reading and discussion. I read (or at least I'm suppose to!) and then we discuss. We do a lapbook type of thing with science-they color some pictures and write down a few things while I read. We do not do any hands on science right now (MAJOR sensory issues with the oldest, and the younger is just 2nd grade).

What do you all think? IF I do it, do you think it would be ok? Cramming?

When I say behind, I mean that I mapped history and science out for my oldest, so that we would be ready for 8th/9th grade and the more intensive subjects. I have tried several different curriculums, and have come to realize that the problem is me, not the books. So I'm now kicking it trying to get her ready. It's my fault we're like this.

I also thought that maybe, just maybe, if I have to do 2 a day for a couple of weeks, then when we go back down to one of each a day I'll feel like it's nothing, and be thrilled!

If you want my honest opinion: I would not bother. Before high school, it would not matter to me one little bit whether I finish a piece of curriculum, text, workbook - or not. I do not see cramming as a particularly valuable thing; sure, you'd cover a lot of things quickly - but you might also just take the time and cover a few things carefully.

ANY piece of curriculum constitutes a selection of possible material, and nothing is ever complete. We tend to think that, because it is a textbook/workbook/course, completing it means getting complete coverage, but that is an illusion - because this author has also omitted topics and focused on what he considered important.

There is certainly nothing wrong with focusing on science and history - but I would not stress about "being behind". I would rather carefully consider what my goal for science and history education for my students at these ages are. Mine are general broad exposure, a foundation on which I can build a more systematic study in high school. Yours may be different.

Well... I don't think you should do it for the sake of finishing the curriculum, especially not in science or history. That basically is just cramming.

On the other hand, if you're all caught up on math and language arts and you want to correct the imbalance by having a fun January term of content subjects, then I think that could enjoyable and useful. But I wouldn't just run through the lessons, whatever that means. I would take the time to do projects, read books, watch documentaries and take field trips. I would probably break it up and do two weeks of history and two of science and have something to focus on that would be enjoyable to study. And maybe have a fun culminating project or a researched project or paper, depending.

But I have a feeling I've just conceptualized this completely differently from you.

Farrar, I would LOVE to do something like that. I have dreams of teaching like that. But I have ADD and my oldest had a plethora of behavioral and emotional issues, including ADD. They are mild, but they are there. I might try to plan a couple of field trips, but I know that much more than that would be overload for her. Science is completely academic, but maybe I can get them to the aquarium when we finish the section on aquatics.

I think my post above does sound more rush rush cram cram than I meant it too. It is more of a get things balanced and then carry on as I should have in the beginning. Thanks for the imput. It's helping me gain some perspective on the Big Picture.

I have to say that I agree with the above post abput not worrying about being "behind" in science or history prior to high school. Not sure which programs you are using but I agree that if I were going to do a block for each I would probably spend two weeks on one and then two weeks on the other so you could really dig deep in each if you wanted. You could also look at the topics you want to cover and do more of a specific study.

When I read your thread title, I thought, "Oh, how wonderful! 4 weeks of just science and history - that would be like being on vacation!!" But I do have to agree with pps who said you can't sweat it too much about being "behind" in these subjects in the elementary years. You will get how far you get. you will skip some stuff. Even if you cover "everything" your kids will forget some stuff . . .

What about continuing on now with everything as is, and then when they finish their other workbooks, double up on science and history then? I definitely have things we'll finish early, and I might not want to start the next thing till August, so I would look at that time in my schedule as time I could add or double up on things that have gotten behind/neglected. May & June tend to be more of a hodge-podge/less structured around here. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with doing it now and being more structured later. Do what feels best to you.

I have occasionally done a unit study for a month that is heavy on science or history. Those are really a fun break. I do keep doing math and LA during those times though. I find that to be a really fun diversion every once in awhile. I am not sure I would do what you are talking about though. Can't you just do the programs over 1.5 years instead of 1 year? I am doing that with my NOEO Bio right now. I think sometimes we get a little too worried about the 4 year rotations. We sometimes just need to slow down some of the rotations so that it is enjoyable and works for us. So, if you want a month of science and history with less of the other subjects, that sounds great. However, if you are only doing it to "catch up", I would say not to sweat it!