Menu

Green/chemical-free cleaners -- recommendations? Just getting started!

profmom

Which ones do you recommend? Where do you buy them? I haven't tried them before because I've had the impression that they weren't effective. :-/ (Same impression I've had about natural toothpaste & deodorant -- feel free to recommend these too!)

Thanks!

Vinegar and water...simple, cheap and super effective. Seriously. Add a baking soda paste for scrubbing and your pretty covered for most everything.

I have a child with severe chemical sensitivities. Standard cleaners, even *green* ones don't work around her.

If you want to fancy it up, make and use herbal vinegars and/or essential oils (rosemary, lavender, sage, peppermint & thyme are herbs you can use that cover anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal & anti-parasetic) Easy to make just add herbs to jar with vinegar and let seep for several weeks. The longer the better.

When you clean with herbal vinegars the vinegar smell evaporates quickly and your left with a light herbal scent.

I use 50/50 vinegar & water with a few drops of lime essential oil in my kitchen, Strong herbal vinegar for cleaning bathrooms (more a 75vinegar/25water mix for toilets/tubs) and a standard herbal vinegar mix with 50/50 ratio for rest of the house including floors.

I do use biokleen cold water liquid laundry detergent (128 loads in my HE machine for $9 or less, This is cheaper than even the homemade laundry detergent I used to make from nag champa, borax and washing soda, esp since I able to wash all loads in cold water...I buy this from vitacost, luckyvitamin or drugstore depending on who is running the best price. And biokleen bac-out is the best stain treater I've ever found...it cleans up blood, grease and pet accidents like they were never there. I also use biokleen dishwashing liquid (sink) and powder for the dishwashing machine, as a backup I use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap diluted. I use vinegar as the rinse aid in my dishwasher. These are the only *green* cleaning products I use that I don't make myself.

One nitpicky point from a former chemistry teacher—there are no chemical-free cleaners. Everything in the world is made up of chemicals. Water, vinegar, soap, etc. are all chemical compounds. :)

I do get a lot of mileage using plain water for dusting and make my own window/glass cleaner (water, small amount of ammonia to cut grease, rubbing alcohol to help with drying and streaks). We tried the homemade liquid laundry detergent (washing soda, Fels Naptha soap, borax), but were not completely happy with cleanliness and smell with the tougher laundry.

Erica in OR

You can purchase 50lb bags of feed grade sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) from a feed store for a ridiculously low price compared even to grocery store bulk purchases.

One nitpicky point from a former chemistry teacher—there are no chemical-free cleaners. Everything in the world is made up of chemicals. Water, vinegar, soap, etc. are all chemical compounds. :)

My comment was going to be, "You mean like the CHEMICAL acetic acid in a dilute solution?"

BIoKleen for anything biological. It has enzymes that break down blood, vomit, urine...you get the picture. With kids and pets, I try not to go without it ever.

Ecover stain stick

Charlie's Soap for laundry

I buy eco friendly liquid dish soap for handwashing at costco; most work fine for me (7th generation, ecover, etc.)

vinegar

Bon Ami-cheap, works like Comet but no bleach. Great for scrubbing stuff baking soda isn't quite abrasive enough to get out.

baking soda

essential oils

shower squeegee, microfiber towels are both good tools to have on hand

the earth friendly version of Oxyclean for really stubborn clothing stains

I think the eco friendly options work great. I really rely the most on stuff like baking soda and vinegar day to day.

For toothpaste I like fluoride-free Spry. Xylitol definitely works well for killing off the bacteria that cause tooth decay in the first place. When switching to natural deodorant (assuming you aren't using an antiperspirant), wipe under your underarms a few times a day with a little witch hazel. That knocks down the bacteria numbers, so less stinkiness as you transition to a natural product. I like Nature's Gate lemongrass and clary sage. But when you transition, the best thing IME is to kill off the bacteria every few hours with a little underarm swipe of witch hazel (put it on a cosmetic round or a little cotton ball or whatever you have on hand to do a quick swipe, then reapply your deodorant).

My comment was going to be, "You mean like the CHEMICAL acetic acid in a dilute solution?"

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement as synthetic chemical compositions and fragrances, but I didn't realize I needed to clarify.

I understood the intent of the OP's question, even if the wording wasn't precise.

Of course I am aware that everything we eat, drink, use and own is chemical in nature in some way. But some chemicals are far more SAFE than others.

I wouldn't drink a bottle of lysol or bleach....

.......I can and do use the herbal cleaning vinegars I make as salad dressing (mixed with a little olive oil)...they are quite yummy!!

I am also adding my vote for vinegar and water for general cleaning...and Microfiber cloths.

You can add orange and lemon peels to the vinegar and water solution and it smells nicer.

Go on interest. There are a ton of ideas and recipes for natural living and such...

I also mainly use vinegar and baking soda. Ideally, I do quick maintenance cleans with either vinegar or baking soda and once in a while do a deep clean with stronger stuff. With young children, though, I like cleaning with vinegar, water, and baking soda because I can do it when they're underfoot. But if I get lax and go too long between maintenance cleanings, I'm not happy with the state of things until I do a deeper cleaning.

• 5 weeks later...
When switching to natural deodorant (assuming you aren't using an antiperspirant), wipe under your underarms a few times a day with a little witch hazel. That knocks down the bacteria numbers, so less stinkiness as you transition to a natural product. I like Nature's Gate lemongrass and clary sage. But when you transition, the best thing IME is to kill off the bacteria every few hours with a little underarm swipe of witch hazel (put it on a cosmetic round or a little cotton ball or whatever you have on hand to do a quick swipe, then reapply your deodorant).

You only have to use the witch hazel when you first switch and not forever? I'm nervous about natural deoderants because or our hot Texas summers!

I feel a little funny recommending Zote bar soap as my top-ranked product for removing stains, but I'll do it. I believe it qualifies as "all natural" . . . provided one accepts as "natural" the ingredient "porcine adipose". The first time I read that euphemism for "pig fat", I cracked up laughing! This soap may be impossible to obtain in many parts of the country, but it is worth looking for.

I was really worried about using my hoomemade deodorant when we were in Florida last year in August! But, it WORKED!!! I did NOT stink. I mix coconut oil and baking powder in a cup and apply it in the morning! EASY. And, none of the dangerous chemicals!

I make all of my own cleaning products with vinegar and water. Maybe a little tea tree oil and baking soda.

I've not had a problem with my homemade laundry detergent. At all. I do buy OxiClean to help out with stains, however. And, I use a little bleach occasionally. As long as I wash in warm water, the clothes come out clean. (We tried cold water washing and everyone complained!)

Another shout out for vinegar and baking soda. For store bought we use mostly 7th Generation. My DH still insists on using bleach products to clean the toilet and since he is the one who cleans the toilets, so be it!

We use Tom's toothpaste, but the kiddos use either Tom's or Nature's Gate. My DH uses Tom's deodorant, but I sweat so I have to stick to an antiperspirant. (ETA: I switched to Tom's deodorant/non-antiperspirant shortly after this post and I actually sweat less now, so... :confused1: and :hurray: )

We buy mostly from Sprout's and Target.

We use mostly water and microfiber for cleaning but use vinegar and baking soda when we need more help.

I do the coconut oil/baking soda deodorant thing.

I make my own tooth powder using this recipe (she has a ton of natural recipes for cleaning and beauty products) and we LOVE it. We could never go back to tooth paste. It's seriously awesome. I leave out the xylitol and peppermint.

Which ones do you recommend? Where do you buy them? I haven't tried them before because I've had the impression that they weren't effective. :-/ (Same impression I've had about natural toothpaste & deodorant -- feel free to recommend these too!)

Thanks!

Well, if I give info you have already gotten please forgive me. I don't have the time to read them all.

Cleaning, I mainly use Bio Kleen products, white vinegar, H2O2, and baking soda. For laundry I use Country Save for the detergent, adding in 1/2 cup Baking soda and granulated H2O2 by Bio Kleen.

Deodorant I mix organic coconut oil with non aluminum baking soda, and I use H2O2 for mouthwash and brushing my teeth.

When you start it really is a chance of way of thinking. I haven't had bleach or any other harsh cleaner in my home now for well over 10 yrs. You can do it and it is much less expensive.

I make a spray deoderant from everclear, grape seed extract and essential oils. I also make a stain stick that is 100% coconut oil soap with turpintine and essential oils. I used that stain stick for everything, so last week I decided to try making it in a liquid form. I'm completely in love with it for every single cleaning job.

Here is what I did.

Melted coconut oil in a crockpot and kept it hot. I used a lye calculator to figure out how much KOH and water to use for zero superfatted soap. In a separate stainless steel double boiler, I discover the KOH in liquid gylicerine substituted for water. When it was completely dissolved, I added the lye solution to the coconut oil, and hit it with a stick blender. When it thickend. I turned off the crock pot and left it covered. In an hour or so, it cooled to a completely clear soap paste.

I dissolved some in boiling distilled water, and got a beautiful liquid cleaner when it cooled again, I added preservative and essential oils.

I love it for washing dishes and clothes, scrubbing toilets, mopping floors, everything. Hopefully. This week, I will be able to test using it to shampoo the carpets. I'm having way too much fun taking before and after pictures of everything I clean.