Menu

Does anyone else on here donate plasma?

Luanne

I do. I started doing it at the beginning of December because they had a HUGE promo running at our plasma center. I've always been creeped out by the idea, but we were at a point with our finances that we had nothing for Christmas, and if I were to donate plasma, we would at least have something. The center is less than half a mile from my kids dance school, so that made it even more appealing to me. Usually I take them to dance and sit and read for several hours while they dance. Now I drop them off twice a week, go to the plasma center and read there while I donate- and then I get compensated for my time.

That little bit of money every week is a huge blessing to my family right now. I'm no longer creeped out by it, and quite honestly, it's an easy way to make a few dollars. In addition, I actually think it's also helping me be more considerate about eating healthy and staying hydrated. I'm more mindful about making sure I'm eating good proteins, low fats and drinking plenty of water. It's kind of a win-win.

My daughter and I both donate twice a week. It is the only income (besides food stamps) that we have right now. We've met a lot of nice people there, both workers and people donating.

How often do you (or the people in your family that do donate) get bruised from it? I don't very often, but yesterday they had to do a restick and now both of my arms are bruised. :(

My daughter and I both donate twice a week. It is the only income (besides food stamps) that we have right now. We've met a lot of nice people there, both workers and people donating.

How often do you (or the people in your family that do donate) get bruised from it? I don't very often, but yesterday they had to do a restick and now both of my arms are bruised. :(

I got bruises the first time I donated. I used my left arm, and they had trouble finding the vein. So then when I went in for the second donation, I had to have a nurse check the bruising.

Since then, I have had troubles with the left arm. I have a faint mole that looks like it's the spot where they last put the needle in, and they always seem to try and stick there first. Even though you look at my arm and it's obvious the vein is in a different spot. They usually stick where the mole is and angle the needle to get in the vein. I've had the bruising get pretty dark on my left arm, but since that first time it goes away between visits, so I haven't had to have it checked since.

I wish I could just use my right arm for both weekly donations, but it doesn't seem to heal up quite enough inbetween visits, so I alternate.

If your arms still show bruises when you next go in, they'll want to have the nurse check them out, and they'll make the determination as to whether or not you can donate that day.

I sold plasma when I was in college. . .until one time I passed out afterwards. They didn't want me back after that. :bored:

I still remember trying to get back to my dorm room several blocks away, feeling dizzy and sick. I kept having to stop and sit on the ground.

I've not heard of separate plasma donation in the UK, but it may happen. Blood donation is a charitable act here - you get a cup of tea and a biscuit in payment. I can't give blood any longer as I have supraventricular tachycardia, which is on the banned list.

Laura

I've not heard of separate plasma donation in the UK, but it may happen. Blood donation is a charitable act here - you get a cup of tea and a biscuit in payment.

Laura

It is a charitable act here as well.

Blood can only be given every 12 weeks, and plasma every 2-3 weeks http://www.donateblo...en-can-i-donate

Peole who have lived in America are banned from giving blood because of Mad Cow

It is a charitable act here as well.

Blood can only be given every 12 weeks, and plasma every 2-3 weeks http://www.donateblo...en-can-i-donate

Peole who have lived in America are banned from giving blood because of Mad Cow

Blood is still considered a charitable donation here in the states, but plasma is different. They've worked out a way to call it a "compensation for your time" and offer a financial incentive to people for the plasma donation. We can do plasma here twice a week- it only takes your body 24 hours to replace the plasma taken in a donation. My center requires two days between donations, but other than that, as long as you're healthy you can keep going in twice a week. You make more the more you go in. The second donation of the week pays more than the first.

Im sure this varies by area, but how much can you make doing this and how long does each session take?

Yes, the payment varies by center and area. It was about $20 per visit many years ago when I was doing it. The local centers now advertise between $250-$300 per month maximum which would be donating twice a week. Returning visits take about 90 minutes but plan on around 3 hours for your first visit. There is paperwork and a physical exam to be sure that you are healthy. You have to be over 18 and there is a minimum weight limit. I think it was 110 pounds when I was donating because I was barely over the limit. Those were the days. :laugh:

It takes longer than a blood donation because the process removes your blood, puts it through a centrifuge to separate the plasma, and then pumps the blood cells back into you. I thought it was pretty neat but it is not for the squeamish. It doesn't hurt any more than blood donation but it feels cold when the blood cells are being returned.

Im sure this varies by area, but how much can you make doing this and how long does each session take?

My center right now is $20 the first visit of the week, $30 the second visit. This month they're also running a promo that after the 5th donation of the month you get an extra $10, and after the 7th you get an extra $20. If you are considering trying it out, watch for a coupon or promo- that's what got me started. I made $220 in just four donations with a coupon.

The first appointment was close to 3 hours because you have to do a very non-invasive physical, and then they walk through the whole process with you. At the end they have you hang around an extra 15 minutes to make sure you're okay. I've got it down to where a full appointment now for me is one hour, almost precisely. There are other things that factor in though, like how busy they are, if they're having computer glitches, etc. Your weight determines how much plasma you can donate- I've noticed that many of the bigger guys there take longer to donate, so that will factor in to how much time per donation.