Menu

Cream cheese unrefrigerated, unopened 2 days - is it good?

RoughCollie

I do this every time I make cheesecake. :001_huh: Not for two days, but sometimes for a full day.

It has to stay out at least a few hours to soften up enough. If I'm making it in the morning, I'll let it sit on the counter overnight. (I probably wouldn't do it if my house was really warm, but I think it's OK at a moderate room temp). If you don't see/smell any problem with it, I'd still use it.

Do people refrigerate carrot cake with cream cheese icing? I know I've eaten unrefrigerated cream cheese icing that's been out for several days.

Hmm...I always store cake with butter or cream cheese frosting in the fridge if it's going to be kept more than a day. For less than a day, see my answer above. :)

Hmm...I always store cake with butter or cream cheese frosting in the fridge if it's going to be kept more than a day. For less than a day, see my answer above. :)

I do that, too, if it's warm, but really only to keep the frosting from melting off the cake, not because it would go bad.

Depends on how warm your house is. Also if you are baking a cheesecake, I would just look out for any surface molds before using it. The baking temperature should kill any mold. If you are using a no-bake recipe, I would be more worried about mold.

Found this

"Cream Cheese (unopened) 35dF 3 months" (http://www.in.gov/bo...s/milkstore.pdf)

ETA:

Found this so maybe baking moldy cheese might still be risky

"

Though mold itself can't survive high temperature, there's a reason why the FDA doesn't recommend baking moldy cheese. According to "Cooks Illustrated," toxins produced by mold are far less sensitive to temperature changes than mold itself. When you pull your cheese out of the oven, the mold will be dead, but the poisons that can make you sick will still be there. However, there are other ways to save some moldy cheeses

"

Thank you for all of your advice. If I weren't afraid of giving food poisoning to my family, I'd have used the cheese. I decided to be better safe than sorry, and threw it out this morning after putting it back in the fridge last night. Next time, instead of dithering around and bugging you all, I'll just throw the food out. A bright line rule like that prevents me from dithering.

Thanks again,

RC