Menu

Exploring Progressive Christianity?

Jenny in Florida

I keep seeing the Exploring Orthodox thread pop up and wishing there was something like that for me. Then I realized I should, perhaps, ask if there's interest in such a thing? It seems like there are at least several of us here who are on a journey toward something that might be called "liberal" or "progressive" Christianity. Maybe we could share thoughts or reviews of books we're reading, churches we visit?

I know I'm feeling kind of lonely on this exploration. Maybe others would like company, too?

I wish the Social Groups would get up and running again (it would be great for your -- and our! -- purposes). We used to use ours a ton. If you do decide to get something going, just start a new thread and put "SOCIAL GROUP: " at the beginning like we did with the Orthodox group. Makes it easier to see quickly. HTH!

I'm on a journey, not sure where yet. It's rooted in Christianity, but not defined by it. I've been exploring Buddhism and am currently reading (along with too many other books) Living Buddha, Living Christ. I don't know if that would be defined at progressive or liberal Christian or what. I do know that my current place is somewhere some would not define as christianity. Ds is on a similar journey with me, dh isn't. We are currently not in a church because I just can't for many other reasons.

I would like to discuss this with others of a similar vein. Not sure if that's what you're looking for in a group, but I'd love to "listen" in regardless.

I've watched "Saving Jesus Redux" dvds and am currently watching and reading "Living the Questions". I highly recommend them both (some overlap). The dvds are inter-loan library copies. I bought Living the Questions ebook from Amazon.

http://www.livingthe...d672e1c6da1ddc3

https://www.youtube....c.1.Ma6Eh798XFc

Two churches using "Living the Questions" that I know of are:

St John's Episcopal Cathedral, Denver, CO

St. John's Episcopal Church, Northampton, MA

I hope to study "Living the Questions" with my church community this fall.

One resource for Progressive Christians: http://progressivechristianity.org/

The Underground Churchby Robin Meyers is excellent! I recently finished reading it. The Power of Parable by John Dominic Crossan is sitting here waiting to be read.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "progressive Christianity?"

Just a term that is associated with non literal, figurative, metaphoric,understanding of Christian scriptures. A term that allows for less evangelism and more questioning - not answered by expected scripture and responses. A respect for Jesus as a man, leader, teacher, and even divine but not necessarily exclusive, exclusionary.

As a group, less likely to have things like courtship, literal interpretation, young earth creationism, "modest dress", "church discipline", submission, and more likely to comfortably welcome Tai Chi, the concept of karma, egalitarianism, other scripture and psychology. While not absolute, there will likely be a higher percentage of political democrats who embrace a progressive Christian spirituality.

Just a term that is associated with non literal, figurative, metaphoric,understanding of Christian scriptures. A term that allows for less evangelism and more questioning - not answered by expected scripture and responses. A respect for Jesus as a man, leader, teacher, and even divine but not necessarily exclusive, exclusionary.

As a group, less likely to have things like courtship, literal interpretation, young earth creationism, "modest dress", "church discipline", submission, and more likely to comfortably welcome Tai Chi, the concept of karma, egalitarianism, other scripture and psychology. While not absolute, there will likely be a higher percentage of political democrats who embrace a progressive Christian spirituality.

I'm not familiar with progressive Christianity but I can identify with this entire description.

Is Progressive Christianity Evangelical? I have a hard time with missions and the current attitude that Christians need to save people of other faiths or non faith. But if I think this way does that make me not a Christian? I have more questions than answers which is why I call my self mostly Agnostic. :)

Just sharing a link...I enjoy reading on Patheos.com quite a bit, including some Progressive Christian bloggers. (Mostly evangelical, though, because I'm not a PC. lol) I appreciate the diversity of the community there. :)

http://www.patheos.com/Progressive-Christian.html

Thanks for the link! I just read this post and I can't wait to read more. :)

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kimberlyknight/2012/12/gods-teachings-are-clear-that/

I'm not familiar with progressive Christianity but I can identify with this entire description.

Is Progressive Christianity Evangelical? I have a hard time with missions and the current attitude that Christians need to save people of other faiths or non faith. But if I think this way does that make me not a Christian? I have more questions than answers which is why I call my self mostly Agnostic. :)

I think it's kinda hard to pin down a concrete definition of progressive Christianity (though I think Joanne describes the idea quite well) because it certainly is going to mean different things to different people. But, in general, I think it's safe to say that folks who consider themselves progressive aren't going to be Evangelical.

I would follow these topics with interest. I do not consider myself Christian, necessarily, but that's another story. I do feel pretty comfortable in a Quaker (of the liberal stripe) meeting.

The progressive Christian groups that I have been a part of did not approve of missions which attempt to save or convert people, especially those where people were forced to listen to such proselytizing in order to get fundamental needs met such as access to food assistance. Missions were conducted in order to help and serve and be Christ's example in the world. Those serving would set an example through their actions; they would be open to discussions but would not force them onto others. Other faiths were regarded as legitimate paths to God, and not something from which people had to be saved. Even at worship services, people of all faiths were welcomed to question and explore together, and it was not at all unusual to have Jewish and Buddhist people attend services.

I'm on a journey, not sure where yet. It's rooted in Christianity, but not defined by it. I've been exploring Buddhism and am currently reading (along with too many other books) Living Buddha, Living Christ. I don't know if that would be defined at progressive or liberal Christian or what. I do know that my current place is somewhere some would not define as christianity. Ds is on a similar journey with me, dh isn't. We are currently not in a church because I just can't for many other reasons.

I would like to discuss this with others of a similar vein. Not sure if that's what you're looking for in a group, but I'd love to "listen" in regardless.

This is a very good description of myself as well. Some would not be willing to call me a Christian. I vascillate on whether I want to use that term for myself or not. I don't fit in perfectly anywhere and have many conflicting and ambiguous thoughts. If that makes me welcome, I"m interested.

I don't know how much I'd have to contribute, but I'd definitely be interested seeing what others have to say. I have been on an unsatisfying spiritual journey through nearly all of my adult life. I really don't know if I even care about that aspect of my psyche anymore, but there is still a part of me that longs to belong to something bigger. I can't figure out if it's because I was raised with Christianity or if it's because there's really something there.

I have read some on the progressive channel of patheos. I like Peter Enns blog. From what I saw, the progressive Christian channel seems to be everything Christian except very conservative. If you had three groups of Christians, conservative, liberal, and a middle spot, I would be middle. I thought that was progressive, but I guess not.

I got three Marcus Borg books for Christmas, but haven't had time to read them yet.

I have read some on the progressive channel of patheos. I like Peter Enns blog. From what I saw, the progressive Christian channel seems to be everything Christian except very conservative. If you had three groups of Christians, conservative, liberal, and a middle spot, I would be middle. I thought that was progressive, but I guess not.

I got three Marcus Borg books for Christmas, but haven't had time to read them yet.

Ooh! Ooh! I just read Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. I LoVED it! I didn't know there were Christians out there who believed what he believes. It was life changing for my husband and I, former Mormons. It was so refreshing not to have to look at religion as so black and white.

I'd like a group like this. I belong to a UCC/UUA church that has been a good place to explore these kinds of topics, but I always enjoy discussions like this. Heck, I like reading and learning from the Orthodox and Reformed and Mormon and Muslim threads even though my personal beliefs don't line up with any of them - so I just read and don't participate in those. It would be fun to have a place to discuss theology/spirituality where I'd be able to not just read but maybe contribute from time to time. :)

Ooh! Ooh! I just read Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. I LoVED it! I didn't know there were Christians out there who believed what he believes. It was life changing for my husband and I, former Mormons. It was so refreshing not to have to look at religion as so black and white.

That is one of them. It was mentioned in a thread here!. The others are Reading the Bible Again for the First Time and The Heart of Christianity. I liked the previews in Amazon and they were grouped together, so I got all of them.

Is it okay that this line (below the 8 Points chart posted above) made me -- apparently a very non-progressive Christian, because the "points" of my creed haven't changed since 325 A.D. -- giggle just a little bit?

"Click here for past versions of the 8 Points."

:D

Progressive by definition, no?

P.S. I do hope you know that was all typed with silliness behind it, and not pettiness.

Is it okay that this line (below the 8 Points chart posted above) made me -- apparently a very non-progressive Christian, because the "points" of my creed haven't changed since 325 A.D. -- giggle just a little bit?

"Click here for past versions of the 8 Points."

:D

Progressive by definition, no?

P.S. I do hope you know that was all typed with silliness behind it, and not pettiness.

Lol! Yes, goes with the territory of being on the fringes I suppose!

PLEASE PLEASE!!!! I so often feel completely out of synch with homeschoolers simply because of my personal theology. It might be a way for me to find friends here on the forums, because I yearn to discuss homeschooling and simple life issues with others who understand where I am coming from. Homeschooling is such a huge part of our life, and I never in a million years imagined it would be so isolating because of religious perspectives.

I am a UCCer who swings more UU. I have gone through our denomination's lay ministry program which was a two year intensive course of study. I came to progressive Christianity after fundamental Baptist years which left me feeling more disconnected from the God I knew that I can ever explain. I knew what would never work for me, but I had no idea there were other Christians who were non-literal or were more open to science/thinking. When I found the UCC, I came home, and things all began to make sense.

I have yet to find a homeschooling UCC'er, and in fact because of where we live, there are few kids attending any of the UCC churches within a 100 mile radius.

Thanks to Jenny for bringing this up!