Menu

Help me, Dr. Hive!

AlmiraGulch

Something is wrong with me but I have no idea what it is. I'm finding it difficult to even describe it adequately, but I need to figure it out so I'll give it a try.

I felt perfectly fine and normal when I went to bed last night. At about 5:00 am, I was awakened from a sound sleep with the most horrible feeling in my stomach/upper abdomen area. It doesn't hurt, per se, but is extraordinarily uncomfortable. It isn't nausea, but I am borderline nauseous. It's almost like the feeling of a very, very strong, extremely intensified hunger pang that is concentrated in that area and won't dissipate. Or, that feeling you get in your stomach when you're about to go over a roller coaster. I thought maybe it was gas, so I took an Alka-Seltzer but that did nothing. I then took a Prilosec, but still nothing. Anything I try to swallow does make me a bit nauseous. It isn't anxiety, either. I have that and know what it feels like. This isn't it.

The discomfort then expanded to my back a bit. Like the upper middle section of my back. Again, it doesn't really hurt, but there was pressure there, kind of like when you swallow something and it goes down the wrong tube, except that hurts and this didn't really "hurt". Then I started to get worried that I was having a heart attack (because the internet is the devil) so I woke up my husband. After a little while of these being my only symptoms, we decided it wasn't a heart attack and I somehow fell back asleep.

Fast forward...it's now 9:30 and the strange feeling is still there and very strong. I have a ton of work to do and nothing is helping. No medicine, no food (I tried to eat a banana and could barely gag it down), no deep breathing relaxation exercises.

Any ideas? It's making it impossible to work and feels awful.

It could be gall stones.

You should call your doctor ASAP. If it's gall stones, it doesn't get better. The stones don't go away. The only "cure" is to remove the gall bladder.

Ask me how I know this [she says while waiting for someone to call and schedule gall bladder surgery].

I have two thoughts. One is esophogeal spasms. Prilosec takes about 12 hours to really work, so that wouldn't help. The other is a heart attack. You really really really need to go get checked out and make sure your cardiac enzymes are ok. So many women die of heart attacks or have permanent heart damage because the symptoms are weird in women. Please, go get checked out.