Vacation Opinions

AlmiraGulch

Vacation in.....?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go?

• Norway and Amsterdam
    • Key West

I have two choices.

1. Norway, with a day or two in Amsterdam. My stepson lives in Norway and the flight goes through Amsterdam anyway. I've never been either place and think it would be beautiful, but it would be quite expensive and cold, even in the summer. I HATE cold. Hate.

2. Key West. I love Key West. I plan to retire there. I'm never happier or calmer than when I'm there, except when sitting on my balcony on a cruise ship. It would also be pretty expensive, but I could drop the kids off at their dad's in Miami and drive down. But I've been there many times, and it will be really hot (July or August). I can generally tolerate hot better than cold, but July/August in South Florida is like going to another planet.

So...what would you do, and why?

Well, I do NOT do hot so I would pick Norway. I can always add more layers :-)

Are you close to your step son? How often do you see him? That would factor in as well.

I've met him twice. He just went home after spending a week with us and it was a great visit.

I like hot. I hate cold. But I love beauty of any kind, so maybe Norway/Amsterdam is the right choice this time. It's considerably more expensive, though.....

I love cold and hate heat, so I might be biased. I also spent two days in Amsterdam last April and am currently planning a trip to Denmark and Sweden for this spring.

Still, I would go for the adventure. Five years from now, which will you regret more--not going to Key West one more time, or missing out on seeing two new countries? Which trip will give you more memorable moments?

Norway is not cold in July/August. It is beautiful - swimming in the ocean or lakes is very common in the summer. Don't let the northern location fool you. The gulf stream keeps the temperatures very pleasant both summer and winter (for a 4 season climate). The scenery is breath-taking, there is lots to see and do culturally/historically.

Amsterdam is also a wonderful city to visit. Also not cold at all in the summer.

I've been to Norway and Amsterdam and would go again in a heartbeat. Go, you'll be glad you did--the scenery is stunning.

We went in August--the weather was pleasant. The higher into the mountains you go, the colder it gets, naturally. Take lots of layers.

You can do Key West next year.

I forgot to mention that my husband used to live in Norway. He hated it and has no desire to return, except to see his son.

I tend to think it's because he didn't do anything but LIVE there. He didn't do anything "vacation-y" while he lived there. He really isn't excited about the prospect, but I could probably change his mind.

Been to Sweden and Key West--is Norway similar to Sweden? It was lovely--we stayed on one of the islands in the Baltic and took the ferry to Stockholm.

Key West is icky to me (no offense meant), so I would never recommend seeing it more than once--but that's just me!

One thing to remember is the long summer days in those Northern Countries; when we went in July, the sun set around midnight and was up again around 3 or so. It's really interesting.

I really do want to go to Norway. An average temp of 60 F in July is cold to me. I still think it would be beautiful.

That said, plane tickets alone will be about $3,500 for two of us, plus hotel, spending, and on and on.

I can go to KW and stay in my absolute favorite place, eating at my absolute favorite restaurants, and not spend that much. And I love Key West.

Oh, but the call of northern Europe is strong.........

I curious when people say "not cold" what do they mean temperature wise? I love the warmer weather, and froze in Minn even in July when everyone else was in shorts and t-shirts.

We were there in August and carried jackets with us everywhere. In Oslo, we didn't wear them. On the train through the mountains and on the boats, we were glad to have them.

I consider northern European summers to be a lot like a Texas winter. :0)

I hate cold too. Despise it with a passion. I would still do Norway and Amsterdam, especially since you've been to Key West. I would buy some nice souvenirs, ones you could display at your retirement home in Key West while you sit around in your bare feet.

:iagree: I despise cold, but I would deal with it for a trip like that - I love to visit new places and have adventures more than I hate being cold.

I think it depends on what you need for yourself right now. We try to take two vacations a year: a relaxing beach vacation and a go-go-go tourist vacation. But when we can't do both in a year, we base our choice on our mood. Do we need time to just hang out and reconnect? Or are we craving new experiences, culture, and interesting food?

I voted for Norway today, because after the past week of Christmas visiting and tradition, I'm tired of hanging out and would love to shake things up. Also, where you have a cruise planned for April already, you may get the beach cravings out of your system and be ready for a more adventurous trip come summer.

Good points made by all.

I really do want to go to Norway. Husband really does not, but would since his son is there. I'm thinking maybe Norway will have to wait one more year since we already have a vacation planned for April. The cruise itself is paid for, but the on board expenditures and excursions are not. Combined with the fact that my ex is moving to Miami in a few days, the girls will want to see him, and Miami is a natural stopping off point on the way to Key West, I'm thinking KW will probably win.

And now I'm disappointed about it. I swear, sometimes I get on my own nerves.