Menu

If your healthcare provider violated Hipaa laws what would you do?

Jen500

I have a good relationship otherwise, but this provider has accidentally emailed detailed personal medical info to all of the patients on their patient list. Three times in the last 6 months. The email is always followed by a 'sorry, we made a mistake and sent a personal email to everyone, please do not read it'.

What I would do would likely depend on what other options I had for medical care in the area. ie If it was the only medical provider in a reasonable driving distance I might take a lower road. At the very least I would make my concern known and request that my email address be forever removed from their records and a big NO EMAILS note listed on top of the records.

Otherwise I would also be out the door for sure--and possibly filing a complaint--knowing that my sensitive medical information might be the next email shared with all patients in the practice.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

IMO mailing sensitive personal info 3 times in 6 months is not simply a mistake - it's gross incompetence and would concern me quite a bit.

At a minimum, I'd be filing a complaint with the person in charge at the provider's office and do as Pippen suggested above - inform them that my info was NOT to be sent out via email. I'd file both the complaint and the "no emails" demand in writing and get someone at their office to sign it, keeping a copy of the signed forms in my possession.

If I had other options of where to get medical care, I'd switch providers and potentially file an official HIPAA complaint.