Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week one

Robin M

Amazon says the print length is 54 pages, if that helps you decide whether to count it or not. I finished it last week and enjoyed it, and was jaw-dropped surprised at the twist. What did you think? I finished Custom of the Army last night, her newest Lord John novella. Print length is 82 pages according to Amazon, so it counts for me as far as I'm concerned.

It was okay. I didn't realize so many of the non-outlander books were novellas. I might start reading a few now that I know that. It's nice to have a nice short read once in a while.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved WH as a teenager. Most romantic book ever I thought. I read it again as plane reading on my honeymoo

n--we came to the UK. Loved it then to but read it again after we moved to the UK and it is dark not romatic. I miss thinking that it is "so romantic" to be honest. I hope dd, who is reading it shortly, loves it as much as I did then.

As for Jane Erye I see it slightly differently with each reading but still pretty romantic. IMO

I finished Pride and Prejudice. :001_wub: I'll make a library trip today to pick out my next book.

Regarding WH... I like reading the different opinions. I read it for the first time as an adult. I was expecting a love story, but I have to agree with Edward here. Still, I really liked it and I'm going to add it to my list for the year. I'm curious to see what I think of it now that I know what I am getting into.

Completed:

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. I think I'm halfway through the series now.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. Continuing where I ended last year. Anyone else read this way? Find a series you like, then read them one after another to the end?

I finished When We Were the Kennedys it was ok but not something I'll probably ever read again, glad I didn't pay full price for it. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next I think I have too many choices. I may run to the library today and see what I can find there.

Interesting. I loved it but I wondered if it's because of my age.Though my life was nothing like hers, I am around her age and could relate to life in general during that time. Also, I did go to Catholic school in the early 60's and could really relate to that.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. Continuing where I ended last year. Anyone else read this way? Find a series you like, then read them one after another to the end?

I do this all the time! And when I want to reread one of the books, I force myself to read all the ones preceding---even if I don't like them as much :lol:

I'm still plodding through my first book. I'm not going to be done with it this week. It's 750 pages though so it's not exactly light reading. I'm reading Far From The Tree, a book about parenting. This is one of those authors i respect and I'd probably enjoy having lunch with but my goodness, he can just plod along and beat a point of his to DEATH. I get it. You're gay. And you've spent a lot of your life depressed. And your parents still did a pretty decent jon raising you. Move on!

Yay, okay, first book finished: Lady Almina & the Real Downton Abbey http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Almina-Real-Downton-Abbey/dp/0770435629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357412532&sr=8-1&keywords=lady+almina+and+the+real+downton+abbey+the+lost+legacy+of+highclere+castle

Next up: My Dear Charlotte http://www.amazon.com/My-Dear-Charlotte-assistance-Austens/dp/1603810404/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357412670&sr=1-1&keywords=my+dear+charlotte

I am loving this challenge because it keeps me reading intentionally, instead of doing other things. Why clean the bathroom when I only have a matter of days to finish my book? :D

Yesterday I finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. I enjoyed reading more about Almina, the castle, and the early 20th century. Can't wait to get back to the show tomorrow!

Next up, The Great Gatsby, which I somehow have missed reading until now.

I finished my first book of 2013---His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman.

I have been so busy decluttering that an easy read is what I could do this week. I have a stack of tbr.

I have decided what my 5/5/5 challenge will be this year:

Dusty Books Challenge

Book Club through my library books

Books I read to my dc

The Continents Challenge

Non-fiction

I lurked for several years. Last year I was actually able to list my books. This year I hope to record them in either a notebook or blog. It made a difference to acknowledge what I am reading and how often. It made me aware that I lean towards a specific genre. I read many new titles last year because of the recommendations on this thread.

Yesterday I finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. I enjoyed reading more about Almina, the castle, and the early 20th century. Can't wait to get back to the show tomorrow

Thank you for this recommendation. Dh and I have been staying up much too late watching the series on dvd. Finished series 2 last night. Tonight is xmas special #1. Can't wait. Now I have this book to look forward to when we are done watching!

Completed: Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. I think I'm halfway through the series now. Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. Continuing where I ended last year. Anyone else read this way? Find a series you like, then read them one after another to the end?

That's me. I love series and once I discover one I like, I consume the rest of the books. I did this with Nora Roberts, Jennifer Estep, Devon Monk, and Laurell Hamilton. Seem to do it more so with paranormal series than anything else. Mysteries series not so much.

RE: What Alice Knew. It's not bad, it just didn't grab me. Like I said, it got raves from other bloggers which is the whole reason I picked it up. I got the .99 cent deal too, and then when I looked today Amazon had jacked the price back up to $ 9.99 :glare: Right now my attention is on Canada and getting serious about my TBR stack which honestly has enough books to last me until summer. I took the Double Dog Dare that some of you may remember: it's the one where you read only from your stacks til April 1. That doesn't mean I can't buy books, I just can't read them for a while. At least, that is how I am interpreting the rules ;)

That's actually written into theDouble Dog Dare rules that you can buy books but not read them until the ban period is over. For me that defeats the purpose and just adds more to my stacks, so I'm trying hard not buying any until April.

I've never read King because I always felt his books would creep me out too badly. But, last year, I thought I'd try 11/22/63 because the premise seemed pretty interesting. And, then, in the first hundred pages or so, he mentioned the guy coughing up blood. And mentioned it again. And again. And pointed out the maxi pad that he has to cough into because it's so bad. And again. Ad nauseum. I mean, really? I think I got it by the 15th mention or so. By the 95th mention, I was just done. Period. (No pun intended. ;) ) Beating the same (gross) point over & over is not my idea of a fun or an interesting book.

I felt that way about King until I read his writing book - On Writing - which made me want to check out his stories. I hate horror but have found a few really good psychological thrillers such as Duma Key and Under the Dome that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm now working my way through his Dark Tower series. The same goes with Dean Koontz. I just have to really read the synopsis and reviews to make sure there isn't the really gross blood and guts or creepy horror stuff before getting the books.

I finished my book! I seriously might look into Audible.com. That was awesome to be able to listen while doing other things. A great way to get mental stimulation for mommy!

Audible.com is great and since I started listening to more audiobooks found it well worth signing up for one of their membership plans.

I finished my first book on January 1. I finished book # 2 today.

1. Confessions of a Prairie B****- I have been wanting to read this book for a while but since my library didn't carry it, I kept putting it off. Dh gave me a nice iTunes card for Christmas and I wanted something light and funny to read, so I purchased this book through iBooks. While this was a hilarious read, it was also much sadder than I anticipated (well, certain parts were sad).

2. Mysterious Benedict Society - Ds listened to this book and is reading the second in the series. He asked if I would read these books with him so we can talk about the story-line as we read. I really liked this book and think it would be a fabulous read aloud. There were some very clever parts, which I enjoyed.

My next book will be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I have been reading this series for the first time and while I am enjoying it, I don't love it. I am excited to see how it all ends, but I am really looking forward to starting some other books on my to-read list ( for instance Gone Girl and 11/22/63).

After finishing my last actual book while we were out of town for the holiday, I was thankful to have my Kindle to download something to read. I went to the top free Kindle books and downloaded Worth the Weight by Mara Jacobs, started that on 1/1 and finished on 1/2. It was a quick read, but it made me blush. For real. :blush5:

Today I finished The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen, and I think this has been my favorite of hers thus far. Last year I read The Sugar Queen & The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

My next book is The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand, and I'd love to crawl in bed to start it right now, but the tree really needs to come down. Today.

I am a newbie in the book a week and trying to wrap my mind around the challenges for planning purposes. The 5 of 5 challenge -- we pick our topics like classics, Brit mysteries etc. The continental challenge has me a bit confused. I know we are starting with Canada but is the aim to read one book from each continent or five? Also just want to clarify the setting needs to be Canada but does the author need to be Canadian? I know I am making way to much out of this.

Just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I loved it. Next up is Murder Must Advertise by Dorthy Sayers.

Dang, I'm on a roll this year! I'm pretty sure I was this time last year too, lol. At least I am banking up a little cushion for those times when I don't read and for when I choose to read something chunky. :)

Last night I finished The Great Gatsby. I'm pretty sure I loved it, worthy of 5 stars, and I feel like i need a bit of time to digest it. It was definitely a huge improvement over This Side of Paradise.

This afternoon I started a new audiobook as I was scrubbing down the bathrooms. It is Patricia Cornwell's Cause of Death. So far it is interesting and easy to listen to but it didn't receive great reviews on goodreads.

The next three books I plan to read all center on ancient times unless I get bored and move on. First I plan to read Babylon Mesopotamia and The Birth of Civilization, followed by The Buried Book, and culminating in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Wish me luck!

3. The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald, Dusty *****

2. The Hard Way, Lee Childs (Audiobook) **

1. Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood, Continental - Canada ****

I posted earlier in the thread with what my current reading is but now that I have decided my mini challenges I thought I would add a post with that too.

So I am doing the continental (hence my 1st Canadian pick), WEM, Inspirational, C.S. Lewis and 5/5/5

For my 5/5/5 I have chosen the following categories

• 5 Dusty/chunky books
  • 5 dietary health
  • 5 parenting/education
  • 5 self-sufficiency
  • 5 YA paranormal (aka brain candy)

Need that brain candy set to balance out the rest of the titles I am reading.

I have not gotten as far as I hoped I would in any of the titles I started this week, going to be spending some serious reading time tonight I think. Can't get behind the first week going.

Jenn in Fl said, "After several years of following this thread in search of great reading material, this year I'm in! The Count of Monte Cristo is my clunky/chunky/dusty/musty volume of choice and I can assure you that it will not be completed in a week."

I'm working on the Count of Monte Cristo as well. I started it back in October so I definitely haven't finished it in a week, LOL. It is a great book though!

I decided to jump on board and participate (officially) this year.

Week one was a success - not only did the book (The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay) get read, but I enjoyed it and I blogged about it. (No spoilers... it may make for a very vague review but I can never, in good conscience, give a review of a book that gives away part of the story).

I am a newbie in the book a week and trying to wrap my mind around the challenges for planning purposes. The 5 of 5 challenge -- we pick our topics like classics, Brit mysteries etc. The continental challenge has me a bit confused. I know we are starting with Canada but is the aim to read one book from each continent or five? Also just want to clarify the setting needs to be Canada but does the author need to be Canadian? I know I am making way to much out of this.

Just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I loved it. Next up is Murder Must Advertise by Dorthy Sayers.

There are bunch of mini challenges and you can go in any direction you want with as many books as you want. It's all very casual. In regards to the continental challenge, the aim is to read one book from each continent. Now with the 5/5/5/ challenge if you decide you want to read 1 book from five of the continents or just 5 books from one continent you can do that. As far as Canada is concerned, you can read a book written by a canadian author set in Canada, or a book set in Canada or a book written by a Canadian author. The Oh Canada list is primarily made up of books of Canada authors with the setting in Canada. Clear as mud? :)

Just saw (again) the movie Cloud Atlas with a friend. She had recently read the book & I told her she needed to see the movie. Fortunately, it started at the local cheap theater this weekend.

If you're doing a book/movie challenge this year, I highly recommend Cloud Atlas. (The book is by David Mitchell.)

Incredible book. Incredible

Anyone wanting YA paranormal who hasn't read Garth Nix' Abhorsen trilogy really ought to!

I'll second Rosie's recommendation as the series is a favorite of my daughter. In fact, the whole family enjoyed listening to the first volume while we drove to and from a camping trip a few years ago.

Regards,

Kareni

I appreciate WH for showing that sometimes people don't change. They are too damaged for whatever reasons. Obsession can be frightening and destructive. I don't view WH as a love story. It's about unhealthy people and unhealthy relationships and how others involved are affected.

I read WH and Jane Eyre within a year of each other. Love Jane Eyre. Although she did irritate me with her lack of action and blindness. I guess that's why we learned how sheltered her childhood was because she turns out to not be the brightest.

I just finished Love Wins.

Here's my review: http://homeschoolfor...2-books-week-1/

I bought this for my Kindle, and it's on my list to read this month. Looking forward to reading your review and the book!!

Today I finished The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen, and I think this has been my favorite of hers thus far. Last year I read The Sugar Queen & The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

Love all SAA's books!! I agree that I think The Peach Keeper was her best. You'll have to read Garden Spells too!!

I've truly enjoyed reading all of your reviews and thoughts on Wuthering Heights - you've confirmed something I've felt since I was a teenager and first read it. I couldn't express it at the time but I felt there was something desperately wrong with Heathcliff and his relationship with Catherine. I never re-read the book because it bothered me so much, but maybe I will now, knowing that it isn't a love story, like I thought it was back then. I was so confused at 13! And now that I know the narrator was probably (and subtly) unreliable, I can approach it with a different lens.

Thank you!

It's a slow start for me.

I'm reading

• Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard (really good so far)
  • Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Isn't Good Enough (I've read their blog a few years ago while going through some rough times - it was a great help.)
  • Raising Financially Confident Kids

I really like the Goodreads app. Very handy!

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Vanity Fair. Thackeray does not make any of the characters fully likeable (if they're good, they're wimpy or just wrongheaded), in fact he often makes fun of the characters...and himself...in a light way. I enjoyed that. I usually don't but he had just the right balance to make you realize how human we all are. And like most pre-20th century novels there are going to be moments you roll your eyes with some of the sentimentality of the some of the characters.

I love Vanity Fair! :)

caution%5B5%5D.gif?imgmax=800

Love this! :lol:

I finished my first book- CS Lewis' The Weight of Glory. I very much enjoyed it, although I told dh it is apparent that I need to study logic more. It was a very encouraging spiritual read for me and I found his reasoning very interesting. Very conversational but also delved deeply as well.

I'm still working on picking out a book for next week as I didn't make it to the library it will be dusty and/or chunky.

I finished my first two books this week. Here's the list so far.

The Deathly Hallows- J.K Rowling

The Friday Society- Adrienne Kress

Leviathan- Scott Westerfeld

The Chrysalids- John Wyndham

The Eyre Affair-Jasper Fforde

The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

The Tar-Aiym Krang- Dean Alan Foster

The Woman Who Died A Lot- Jasper Fforde

Changeless-Gail Carriger

I was not really feeling The Friday Society in the beginning when I thought it was just a steampunk detective type novel. It's hard to describe but the speech was too modern and I felt like the author had a feminist checklist she was trying to fill which made some of it feel a bit cliche. At some point it became apparent that this was actually a superhero origin story. Once I realized that, it became much more enjoyable. I look forward to reading more from this series.

I think I'm going to go with The Handmaid's Tale next. I may put in a rule for myself where I alternate fluff with more serious stuff. Maybe.

It's a slow start for me.

I'm reading

• Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard (really good so far)

• Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Isn't Good Enough (I've read their blog a few years ago while going through some rough times - it was a great help.)

• Raising Financially Confident Kids

Oooh. That sounds good. I added it to my "to read" list.

Book 1 was Shanghai Girls. Having never studied much about Chinese history I was very interested in the culture. Sisters Pearl and May (Mei) start out as wealthy, carefree girls in Shangai and end up becoming Chinese brides in America during a time when America did not encourage Chinese immigration.

I loved Shanghai Girls. You must read the follow up novel, Dreams of Joy. I did not want either of these books to end. I found the historical parts of both books very interesting and am looking forward to reading Snowflower and the Secret Fan by the same author, sometime this year.

I'm still reading Wolf Hall. I am truly enjoying it but, got sidetracked by watching The Tudors on Netflix when doing "research" on the book :lol: I think I'm going to read Island of the Blue Dolphins next as it's a book that I remember starting to read as a child and never finishing. I bought the book for my dd9 last year and she is now reading it for school this year. I'm going to give it a try once I finish Wolf Hall.

I'm still reading Wolf Hall. I am truly enjoying it but, got sidetracked by watching The Tudors on Netflix when doing "research" on the book :lol: I think I'm going to read Island of the Blue Dolphins next as it's a book that I remember starting to read as a child and never finishing. I bought the book for my dd9 last year and she is now reading it for school this year. I'm going to give it a try once I finish Wolf Hall.

I first read Island of the Blue Dolphins as a child and I've read it many times since. It's a keeper.

Last week I read Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan and loved it. We were at the beach and it was the perfect light hearted book for vacation. This week I'm reading Why Does the World Exist? by Jim Holt and, although it can be difficult to understand all the philosophical and scientific arguments, it's very interesting. I'm half way through and I've learned a lot already and I'm sure I'll learn more. I may even go back and read the books of the philosophers he interviewed. I'm also reading People Who Eat Darkness. It camed billed as a page turner, and it certainly is that. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, I didn't really expect to want to read about a young woman's disappearance, but I find the details of life in Tokyo really fascinating. I read 1Q84 last year and this is a good go-along for that book (which I'd highly recommend too).

I usually try to read at least some of the NY Times Top 10 and 100 Notable books in December and January each year. This year I really liked most of them, especially Yellow Birds (it's about the Iraq war and is not a light read, but it's a book that makes you think quite a bit). I loved Hologram for a King because dh is a consultant and we know quite a few people like the main character and a few clients like the one in the book.

I'm also slowing reading through A Dance with Dragons. I love the Game of Thrones series and I read the first four very quickly. Now I'm trying to draw this one out because it will probably be years before there's a new book.

I'm really excited to participate this year!! My New Year's Resolution is to read some really good, classic 20th Century Lit. I read a lot of 19th Century and Modern Sci/Fi, so this is going to be a stretch for me.

My first book this year is "All The King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren which was recommended to me by Itlmrs. in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/446298-20th-century-classics-i-should-read/

This book is not something I would have picked up and chosen for myself. The political subject matter is just not something that interests me one bit. At first glance, the people are wretched and corrupt and unpleasant. However, I'm actually enjoying this book. The conniving, political bits are not my thing, but the way the author writes easily makes up for it. His descriptions and flashbacks really fill out the characters and make them feel like real people. I started out forcing myself to read this and have grown to really look forward to picking it up in the evening. I'm especially interested to see how Annie turns out.

I've got a bit more to go with this book before I finish, I'll probably be done tomorrow night.