Menu

Which kindle version of Les Mis do you own? I need to download one.

FaithManor

I am embarassed to say that I read Les Mis in high school, I think I was 14 at the time, and some 30 years later my memories of the book are so vague that I feel I should read it again before seeing the movie.

Since my book shelves are getting very full and the chances of assigning this reading to my sons is quite low with everything else we have on our literary plate, I want to purchase it for my kindle.

Suggestions?

I was leaning towards the Denny translation, but dh wanted me to opt for one of the free or 99 cent ones. However, some of those get pretty bad reviews for text that jumps around, lack of table of contents, and translation issues.

Thanks,

Faith

I looked at a lot of those reviews, too. The version that seemed to get the best reviews isn't available on kindle, and I was going for cheap! I ended up choosing the free version. It does have a working table of contents. If I lost my place without that I would be in trouble! The text itself is in line with other cheap/free kindle books I have read. I am about a third of the way through and only noticed one error in the text so far, "be" that should have been "he." I am sure there have probably been others but nothing that has distracted me from the story. I really am enjoying it! Happy reading with whatever you choose!

I am about a third of the way through and only noticed one error in the text so far, "be" that should have been "he." I am sure there have probably been others but nothing that has distracted me from the story.

I saw that one, too. :-)

I agree with this post though. The free version has been fine so far.

ETA: DH and I head off for our 25th anniversary celebration this week. We've been debating whether or not we should see the movie. I'm enjoying the book so much that I'm not sure I could bear the movie. I'm afraid it wouldn't measure up to what I picture in my mind.