Menu

Tamiflu - worth taking?

SJ.

Tamiflu  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should DS1 (who is now sick), DS2, and I request Tamiflu?

• Yes, as soon as possible!
    • No, it doesn't really help
    • Other

DH has been sick for the last week with headache, fever, coughing, stuffiness, exhaustion, and just feeling horrible. Now DS1 has a fever of 104 and a cough. I wish DH had gone to the doctor and been tested for flu so we knew what we were dealing with.

Do you think it is worth it to take DS1 to the doctor today and ask for tamiflu for him, me, and ds2?

I opted out if it because 1. By the the time we got the Rx called in the pharmacy was closing so it would be the next day before we could get it. 2. By the next morning ds was feeling somewhat better. 3. The cost with insurance was $30, multiplied by 5 people was $150 to cut the duration by 24-36hrs. 4. The side effects seemed worse than what we had!

Now if I had a high risk child I would have probably given it as prophylaxis.

We did not give it to our kids because they were miserable enough without adding the possibility of nausea and vomiting and diarrhea! Plus, you have to start it within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. DS was one week in and DD was 3 days. There are also some more rare, but very scary side effects for kids. Read the website posted, it is very informative.

Common side effects of taking it are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I would not give it to my children.

Here's the company website side effects page, with another link to full prescribing information. Maybe those will help you decide. http://www.tamiflu.com/side-effects

We did not give it to our kids because they were miserable enough without adding the possibility of nausea and vomiting and diarrhea! Plus, you have to start it within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. DS was one week in and DD was 3 days. There are also some more rare, but very scary side effects for kids. Read the website posted, it is very informative.

That puts an entirely different spin on things. i looked at their site but I admit I just glanced at it. DS1 and I were sick with a stomach virus on Wed night and it was miserable, I'd hate to layer that on top of how he feels now. Poor guy. :(

Last year my son tested positive for flu and started Tamiflu at just over 24 hours from onset. My other son's doctors didn't want to start Tamiflu for him until he was symptomatic. He did get flu but we ended up not doing Tamiflu anyway in the sibling. Primarily, at the time, it was because we have to pay 100% out of pocket for prescriptions and the cost was extremely high. I didn't feel the relief my son got was worth the cost. He didn't have any side effects. But if his symptoms were a 6 pr 7 his twin's were an 8. I guess maybe it would have been worse for him without it but I wasn't impressed. I have a friend who had wonderful response in her kids (they were better the next day) so maybe it varies. I believe this year is a more severe flu over-all (not that what we had was a piece of cake) so maybe Tamiflu would be more worth it.

It is a $55 script for my insurance and one of my children gets the lovely stomach issues with it, so we no longer try it. I don't think the cost is worth the day or two difference in feeling better. Now if I had a child that didn't normally shake these things on their own, I might change my mind.

Dh has taken it twice. Both times, the flu symptoms subsided in both duration and severity very quickly. For maximum benefits, one needs to start it asap once signs of the flu are apparent. He did not have any negative side effects (in other words, nothing new on the illness symptoms once he started taking it). I asked if he had the rotten egg thing someone else mentioned and he said "no, neither time". Now, like the rest of the family, he gets the flu shot :)

We've done it, twice, with two different people, and I was very impressed with how much it seemed to help compared with previous bouts with flu. We started it ASAP, which I think helps.

We avoided the 2-3 weeks of lingering cough and lethargy which we'd had with previous bouts of flu, which was useful given the individuals' schedule/commitments at the time. We had absolutely none of the potential side effects.

That said, I think it's a very individual choice. The potential side effects can be serious. Look at your circumstances, read the info, and decide whether the pros outweigh the cons.

Since then, I've opted for the flu shot as a preventative measure for all of us, as the side effects are milder than Tamiflu's. So far, so good.

Only if you can take it within 48 hours of first symptoms, you are immune compromised or you must have regular contact with people who are elderly or immune compromised. That said, if you are in contact with someone who can get extremely sick from the flu, generally you have elected to have the flu vax for the year.

It's in short supply and is worthless if you don't have the flu so don't insist on a script without a confirmed case of the flu.

I'd take him to be tested as soon as possible. If it is early enough and IF your insurance covers it, then it can help reduce the duration and severity. BUT one of my dd's is allergic to it. My dd with asthma took it and had a less severe flu than the rest of us which made it worthwhile for her.

I've only taken it once and was sick longer than my dd who couldn't take it. We didn't know in time for her but I started it within 24 hours. These were confirmed by tests in the dr office with the nose swab. I was sick to my stomach after about 24 hours of taking it until about 24 hours after I stopped taking it. I've also not really been the same since but dd bounced back quick and she has asthma on top of it. I've had health problems since the flu and taking the Tamiflu. I won't take it again and won't give it to my dds.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I spoke to a nurse at our local hospital care line this morning and she said she thinks it sounds more like a respiratory infection than the flu. She did not think it would be worth it to wait at the ER for a flu test to get it prescribed but she said I could try tomorrow with our pediatrician. I hope my little guy feels better tomorrow. Perhaps DS2 and I will be fine.