Menu

Future demand of Nursing careers?

Juniper

This was a career field I was interested in a few years ago and had done all my pre-reqs for. It may be a doable thing for me to return to, but I somewhat remember hearing something about the future of nursing in America not being as profitable field in the future. Thoughts?

The demand is there for nurses but from what I've seen the rate of salary growth has slowed down. Hospitals are cutting nurse's pay in subtle ways-for example I am at work right now. In the past we were paid holiday pay (time and a half) from 7am 12/31 through 7am 1/2. (So all of 12/31 and 1/1) Now holiday pay doesn't kick in until 3 pm 12/31 and ends 11 pm on 1/1. Sounds like a little thing, but it makes a difference.

Jennifer

The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook predicts that:

"Employment of registered nurses is expected to grow 26 percent from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations. Growth will occur primarily because of technological advancements; an increased emphasis on preventative care; and the large, aging baby-boomer population who will demand more healthcare services as they live longer and more active lives."

I have heard that Nurse Practitioners with advanced degrees are going to be particularly in demand because fewer and fewer MD's are going into primary care. Obamacare is going to increase the demand because more people will have insurance coverage.

DH's cousin was interested in becoming a pediatrician but decided to become a NP instead because the education and training was way shorter but the pay was not that much less.

The U.S. Department of Labor indicates that the demand for registered nurses will grow 26% by 2020, much faster than the national average. That's over 700,000 new jobs. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a great online resource.

I do recommend that you go for an RN as opposed to an LPN - there are many more career doors open that way.

I'm an RN, BSN and It is nearly impossible for me to find work here in CA. There is not a shortage of nurses. There is a shortage of hospitals willing to pay nurses and keep staffing levels safe. I've noticed here in So. Cal I see a huge number of overseas nurses hired over local nurses. I can only assume it's because the hospitals can pay less. I would like to get back to the bedside, but to be honest I don't know if I want that kind of overwhelming stress anymore.

RNs are always in demand. The pay is excellent, the hours are flexible, and your options are pretty wide open. The only problem I've seen is practices/clinics not wanting to spend money on an RN and instead hiring a whole bunch of med techs, and then expecting the RN to supervise them. Most people don't go into nursing to do hours of paperwork, so be sure to shop around when you're looking for employment. The more education and the more specialized your training, the better your prospects....and the less likely that a tech or an LPN will be able to do your job.

My best friend from Jr High and High school is a nursing manager at the medical center. It has allowed her to raise her son, and save for a nice retirement, but I get the idea it is very high stress.

Let me know if you want her contact info to ask any questions.

but I get the idea it is very high stress.

This is really up to the individual. Other people think it makes the shift go very fast, and without boredom. There is also a strong buddies-in-the-trenches-together feeling unless you work with a nasty person. Even a nasty person throws the rest of you together, because most nurses are great people trying to get a job done, and know that a nasty in the midst just slows you down.

My boss's wife is an RN at a major city hospital. The hospital has seriously cut staffing levels. They have done many things over the years that has made the job harder and harder. I understand this is a common trend with many hospitals.

I have a neighbor who had a difficult time securing a job as an RN when she first moved her 5 years ago. She's an RN, but also some kind of instructor. She's now part time with a local medical practice and part time teaching at a local university.

The newspaper had an article last year about the trend in hiring nurses from foreign countries.

I think there will always be jobs for RNs, but I think employers are making the job more difficult and more stressful. I think a lot of nurses are feeling stressed because there are demands they feel are compromising patient care.

My area is saturated and its difficult to find nursing jobs here, esp since there are three local programs (AARN, BSN, LVN) graduating nurses every semester. In addition, at least one of the three local hospitals is no longer hiring new grads and is hiring only BSNs from now on. However, I think there is more demand in other parts of the country.

I'm a nurse. Jobs are still in demand in the city I work in even though it has a BSN and an ADN program. Other areas are saturated though.

I would say it is a tough job, demanding and hard work, but like another poster said there is great camaraderie, the shift goes by quickly, you're rarely bored, and it pays fairly well. Still I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. You have to be fairly high energy, very willing to study a lot during school, handle stress well, and be willing to clean up a variety of body fluids. It is physically very hard work (inpatient hospital).