Menu

Laundry question -- how often do you wash these items?

Cosmos

My question is about those items that need occasional washing. Not clothing, sheets, towels, and kitchen linens, which of course are washed quite frequently, but the other fabric items in the home.

How often do you wash the following items, if you have them and they are able to be laundered? If you have other fabric items that I've left out, feel free to add them in.

curtains

throw rug

bath mat

shower curtain

shower curtain liner

mattress pad

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation)

pillows

blanket on bed

throw blanket on sofa/chair

bedspread/quilt/comforter

* A pillow cover is like a mattress pad for your pillow. It is a zippered case that goes on under a regular pillowcase.

Do you have a system for washing these occasional items? Do you do them as part of a spring cleaning, for example, or spread through the year? Or do you simply wash them as needed?

Guest inoubliable

My question is about those items that need occasional washing. Not clothing, sheets, towels, and kitchen linens, which of course are washed quite frequently, but the other fabric items in the home.

How often do you wash the following items, if you have them and they are able to be laundered? If you have other fabric items that I've left out, feel free to add them in.

curtains - no curtains in this house, but we did have some nice, thick cotton curtains in other homes and we washed those three or four times a year. We didn't have pets and we didn't smoke in the house so we didn't have a need to wash them more frequently.

throw rug - no rugs here.

bath mats - weekly, along with towels

shower curtain - no shower curtain

shower curtain liner - ours is one of those *gasp* plastic liners, so it just gets sprayed down with a water/vinegar mixture once a month

mattress pad - once a month

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - once a month

pillows - never. DH is funny about pillows so we end up replacing them every six months to a year. Unless it's something like we just bought the pillow in the last month and a kid puked on it. *sigh* Which has happened. And then it's in the wash with hot water.

blanket on bed - twice a year? Not often.

throw blanket on sofa/chair - twice a year? They get stored in the spring, so I wash them before they're put away. And they get washed again when they come out in the fall before being put on the furniture.

bedspread/quilt/comforters - spot clean. Duvet covers get washed once a month.

* A pillow cover is like a mattress pad for your pillow. It is a zippered case that goes on under a regular pillowcase.

Do you have a system for washing these occasional items? Do you do them as part of a spring cleaning, for example, or spread through the year? Or do you simply wash them as needed?

curtains - never? When they look nasty?

throw rug - when I notice it looking grubby

bath mat - every week with the towels - our bath mats are white

shower curtain - when it looks grotty

shower curtain liner - when it looks grotty

mattress pad - every month or two

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - never?

pillows - never

blanket on bed - if it looks grubby

throw blanket on sofa/chair - if it looks grubby

bedspread - if it looks grubby

quilt/comforter - I have to admit that I never wash these - we use duvet covers

Laura

curtains Twice a year-spring and fall

throw rug Every other week

bath mat Every week (one of my pet peeves. I clean houses.)

shower curtain Twice a year with the other curtains

shower curtain liner N/A I use plastic ones.

mattress pad First laundry day after the first of even numbered months (Feb, Apr, June, etc)

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) Same as above

pillows Never wash. I throw them in the dryer every so often. We replace them once a year.

blanket on bed Every other week.

throw blanket on sofa/chair Every other week.

bedspread/quilt/comforter Mine gets washed every other month. I'd love to do more but we have a Cal. King and it doesn't do well in our washer. My boys' both get washed every other week. We will up that to every week (or more) as they hit the smelly teen phase.

I'm a touch OCD when it comes to laundry. This could explain why my dryer died this morning. :glare:

To answer my own question --

curtains -- I think these have only been washed twice in five years, though I do shake them well when I vacuum.

shower curtain and shower curtain liner -- These are two I don't really have a system for. I always forget about it until the liner is very dirty. Then I wash them both. Maybe 3 months or so?

mattress pad and pillow cover -- I do these monthly and at that time I rotate the mattresses and vacuum them and all around the bed frames

pillows, blanket on bed, bedspread/quilt/comforter -- I have to do these large items at the laundromat. I aim to go twice a year, but it's been more like once a year lately. I fill up my car with all the pillows, blankets, quilts, and sleeping bags in the house. It takes a few hours but I do like having everything clean and fresh. I do have two wool blankets that cannot be laundered, and I admit they have not been cleaned in years, though I do shake them out very well and hang them in the sun.

throw blanket on sofa/chair -- I probably do these once a month during the fall and winter when they are being used.

I meant also to include other mats besides a bathmat. I have one in my kitchen and one in my laundry room that are both washable. I never think to wash them until they seem quite grubby.

curtains Maybe once a year

throw rug About once a month

bath mat Once a week

shower curtain Hardly ever....I need to do it now

shower curtain line Same as the showere curtain

mattress pad Twice a year

pillows 3 or 4 times a year

blanket on bed every week

throw blanket on sofa/chair once or twice a month

bedspread/quilt/comforter every week

curtains - quarterly

throw rug - don't have one

bath mat - twice a week, when I do towels because it's a thick towel material

shower curtain - quarterly

shower curtain liner - replace often

mattress pad - 1-2 times a month

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - 1-2 times a month

pillows - never, I'm really bad about cleaning and replacing pillows!

blanket on bed - monthly

throw blanket on sofa/chair - twice a month

bedspread/quilt/comforter - monthly

The short answer to your question (for me) is no I don't have any type of schedule for many of those items, though I probably should. I tend to go by how they look.

curtains never wash, just vaccuum. I have full length drapes in three room that would cost $$$$ to dryclean

throw rug door mats? I just shake out and vaccuum

bath mat once a week

shower curtain when it starts to look bad (maybe twice a year)

shower curtain liner I replace probably 3 or 4 times a year (when it looks bad)

mattress pad Once a month (I time it with my cycle)

pillows

blanket on bed N/a

throw blanket on sofa/chair n/a

bedspread/quilt/comforter once a year

curtains - I don't have any

throw rug - when it looks like it needs it

bath mat - when it looks like it needs it

shower curtain - about every three months

shower curtain liner - about every three months

mattress pad - maybe once per year

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - maybe once per year

pillows - I don't

blanket on bed - once each month

throw blanket on sofa/chair - when it needs it

bedspread/quilt/comforter - about every three months, but should do this more frequently

Do you have a system for washing these occasional items? No

Do you do them as part of a spring cleaning, for example, or spread through the year? Throughout the year

Or do you simply wash them as needed? This is usually what I do

curtains

Not often. There are some here in my office that are eight years old and have never been washed. They probably need to be dusted, though!

throw rug

bath mat

When I see that they need to be washed; maybe once every couple of months

shower curtain

shower curtain liner

Ditto. They are rarely washed.

mattress pad

Not often at all.

pillows

Almost never.

blanket on bed

Mine are washable (as opposed to having, say, wool blankets, which mostly are not); I might wash them once a year.

As needed, depending on how many cats and dogs have been sleeping on them, lol.

Depends. A couple of my comforters must be taken to the cleaners to be washed because they are so big, and it costs about $40 to do that, so I try to avoid it. Two others can be machine washed; because they are in guest rooms and so not used very often, I only wash them a couple of times a year.

No system, as needed.

curtains - twice a year (fall / spring)

throw rug - vacuumed weekly, spot cleaning when dirty

bath mat - weekly

shower curtain - twice a year, or when it looks dirty

shower curtain liner - replaced once a year

mattress pad - 3 to 4 times a year

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - don't use

pillows - never, bed pillows are generally replaced every two years

blanket on bed - monthly when used for sleeping, 3 to 4 times a year if just for decoration

throw blanket on sofa/chair - 3 to 4 times a year

bedspread/quilt/comforter - monthly

Every spring and fall I do a "thorough" cleaning of the house. All the curtains get cleaned, windows are cleaned, every piece of furniture is moved to clean behind/underneath it, closests get cleaned out, basement is cleaned, hardwood floors get polished, etc. I learned this routine from my mother.

curtain--once a year-dry clean or wash

throw rug-every 3 months unless dirt

bath math--every month

shower curtain--once every 3 months

shower curtain liner-I just buy a new one every couple of months and change it.

mattress pads-every 3 months

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation)--when I do sheets every week.

pillows--every 3 months

blanket on bed--once a month

throw blanket on sofa/chair--every 2 weeks

bedspread/quilt/comforter--every 3 months

My washer is always busy.

curtains - quarterly

throw rug - weekly

bath mat - weekly or more often if needed

shower curtain - monthly

shower curtain liner - replaced often.

mattress pad - every 2 weeks

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - every 2 weeks

pillows - monthly

blanket on bed - every 1-2 weeks

throw blanket on sofa/chair - weekly

bedspread/quilt/comforter - the one on my bed is washed twice a week. The one on the childrens beds are washed weekly. We have 6 cats.

curtains - cotton curtains maybe once or twice a year. If I can see dust along the top edge, I start thinking about it. Silk curtains in dining room - I've only cleaned this maybe 2ice in 10 years. I vacuum blinds probably 2-4 times a year.

throw rug None

bath mat There's only one in boy's bath; I wash it about every 2 months when I get around to it.

shower curtain Only one in boy's bath; maybe once a year.

shower curtain liner Plastic. Never wash this.

mattress pad Hardly ever unless there was some type of accident.

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) Once or twice a year unless there was an accident.

pillows I never wash pillows.

blanket on bed A few times a year unless it gets dirty. I wash these if someone had a bad illness.

throw blanket on sofa/chair A little more frequently than bed blankets. I always wash these if someone was sick because they are in constant use.

bedspread/quilt/comforter A few times a year.

I don't have a system really. I just wash them once in a while if I'm doing a lot of substantial cleaning or if I notice it looks especially shabby.

curtains- spring cleaning

throw rug- when I notice they are really dirty

bath mat- We use cloth ones like hand towels, so they get changed every couple of days

shower curtain- n/a

shower curtain liner- n/a

mattress pad- every other time of washing the sheets

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation)- same as mattress pad

pillows- spring cleaning or when needed for spill or something

blanket on bed- same as mattress pad

throw blanket on sofa/chair- when I notice it needs it

bedspread/quilt/comforter- 2-3 times per year, or when needed for spill or something

curtains once a year

throw rug don't have one

bath mat every few days

shower curtain every 2 months

shower curtain liner what is that? they must not exist in Australia

mattress pad Do you mean the old wool blanket that is under the bottom sheet? every 6 months

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) Don't have one

pillows never

blanket on bed in spring and autumn

throw blanket on sofa/chair every few months

bedspread/quilt/comforter once a year

curtains- 1-2 a year. Spring Cleaning and possibly Fall Cleaning too.

throw rug- N/A

bath mat- N/A we don't have one- we use a towel.

shower curtain- whenever someone vomits on it. Otherwise, it doesn't really get dirty.

shower curtain liner- I spray and wipe this off as part of my weekly deep bathroom clean.

mattress pad- every couple of months

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation)- same as mattress pad.

pillows- um, never. They are in sealed covers and then a pillow case. Never saw the need.

blanket on bed- usually every other week. Except for kids- their blankets don't get funky from sweat. So my younger son if he pees in bed and my older son maybe every couple of months.

throw blanket on sofa/chair- N/A I don't have them.

bedspread/quilt/comforter- monthly, more or less.

Some of you have mentioned washing bed blankets, bedspreads, quilts, and/or comforters on a weekly or semi-weekly basis. Goodness, that tires me just thinking about it. Are we all talking about the same things, I wonder? My bed is a queen mattress and I make it up with a fitted sheet and then a flat sheet, then several blankets and/or quilts. The top layer is our prettiest quilt or whatever I feel like displaying. I think right now we have one wool blanket and two quilts. My ds's bed is made similarly, but with more layers (he likes it that way). In the summer we use fewer layers -- usually just one quilt over the sheet. Our bodies go between the sheets, which are washed weekly. The quilts and blankets, though, only get washed a couple of times a year. Most of them are too big to wash in my washing machine, so I make a special trip to the laundromat. If I were able to wash them at home that would be at least 6 loads just for bedding. (And that's for a small family with just one child!) Is that what some folks are doing every week?

Some of you have mentioned washing bed blankets, bedspreads, quilts, and/or comforters on a weekly or semi-weekly basis. Goodness, that tires me just thinking about it. Are we all talking about the same things, I wonder? My bed is a queen mattress and I make it up with a fitted sheet and then a flat sheet, then several blankets and/or quilts. The top layer is our prettiest quilt or whatever I feel like displaying. I think right now we have one wool blanket and two quilts. My ds's bed is made similarly, but with more layers (he likes it that way). In the summer we use fewer layers -- usually just one quilt over the sheet. Our bodies go between the sheets, which are washed weekly. The quilts and blankets, though, only get washed a couple of times a year. Most of them are too big to wash in my washing machine, so I make a special trip to the laundromat. If I were able to wash them at home that would be at least 6 loads just for bedding. (And that's for a small family with just one child!) Is that what some folks are doing every week?

I agree. I demand an explanation for why blankets and bedspreads/comforters/quilts are getting laundered weekly. Also, I demand it be a BAD explanation because I do not want to add to my workload. I mean, come on, those things don't even touch you very much.

I feel another bath mat/bath rug discussion coming on.

Oh, goody. Have I hit on a controversy? :hurray:

We actually don't have a bath mat. I just put a folded towel on the floor outside the shower and change it every few days. When I was writing my list, I think I was thinking of the mats I have in front of the kitchen sink and the back door. They are washable, rubber-backed mats the same size as a bath mat. But what are they called? Kitchen mats? Kitchen rugs? Welcome mats? My brain froze and I wrote bath mat.

I agree. I demand an explanation for why blankets and bedspreads/comforters/quilts are getting laundered weekly. Also, I demand it be a BAD explanation because I do not want to add to my workload. I mean, come on, those things don't even touch you very much.

Yes, why did I start a thread whose only potential was to make me feel even WORSE as a housekeeper? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb. :lol:

I wish someone would start a thread asking how often we clean our hand soap dispensers, because I really rock at that. I EXCEL at it.

curtains - we have asthma so no curtains. When I did have the twice a year.

throw rug - we don't currently have any but when I did would wash as needed.

bath mat - weekly with towels.

shower curtain - never but i will wipe it down

shower curtain liner - don't have one.

mattress pad - don't have one.

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - every other week.

pillows - I spray them with a vinegar and tea tree solution and leave them out in sun weekly.

blanket on bed - wash when needed or spray like pillows weekly.

throw blanket on sofa/chair - as needed but usually monthly or more because of pets, kids, and asthma.

bedspread/quilt/comforter - same treatment as pillows weekly. I will wash at least once per season or when needed.

"Bad" explanation coming for the sake of Panda. :)

I would wash my comforter (huge, cordoroy cali king) every other week if I could. It can't take it. And I love it and don't want to replace it. So it gets washed twice a winter. I have a different, light bedspread for spring, summer, fall. We live in the desert. We only need heavy bed things for 4 months or so. Our bed is the only one to use a top sheet.

My boys..... I have boys. Boys smell. They bathe daily. They still smell sometimes. They are active in sports and shower at night. Their stuff still has what I have come to call "the funk". Now, not my little one so much...yet. But, I had a brother growing up. A smelly brother. I get one small whiff of that smell and I freak. The boys don't have a top sheet because they just kick them down to the bottom of the bed or completely off the bed. So, I did away with them years ago. Both boys have a thick twin comforter on their beds and various throws. The comforters get washed every other week. The throws at least once a month or whenever I get a "whiff". (Have I mentioned that I have an over-active sense of smell? I do. I realize that no one else would probably smell what I do. My family must live with this. Poor Them.)

So that's my bad explanation. Oh. This is translates into 2 loads of laundry one week. Four loads of laundry the following week. It coordinates with my work schedule so that my light week cleaning other people's houses has more laundry. Yes. I am OCD. My family must live with that, too. But, at least they are super sparkly clean while dealing with me!

I make up my beds the same as you.

My top covers are home made patchwork quilts. I don't think they would stand up to being washed every week, or even every month. Each one took a year to make.

curtains - ours are cotton and can be machined wash so when we feel like it. we have plenty of spare curtains too

shower curtain - scrubbed when yucky, its the mildew resistant plasticky kind

mattress pad - when dirty

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - when dirty

pillows - never

blanket on bed - when dirty

curtains have only in 1 room, 1x/year

throw rug never--I shampoo them 2-4x/year

bath mat1x/wk--we have towel-like kind, not fluffy kind

shower curta spray with shower cleaner--ours is the clear kind

shower curtain linern/a

mattress pad6-12 xs per year

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) we have anti-dust mite covers. 2x/yr

pillows never

blanket on bed 1x/month

throw blanket on sofa/chairwhen it gets dirty!

bedspread/quilt/comforter 1x/month

curtains - Never :svengo:

throw rug - About once a month, or when it looks visibly dirty

bath mat - Every time I wash the towels, which is once a week

shower curtain - We don't have one

shower curtain liner - same as above

mattress pad - Every other sheet washing, so every other week

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - Every couple months

pillows - Never

blanket on bed - Every other week

throw blanket on sofa/chair - Never

bedspread/quilt/comforter - Bedspreads/quilts and comforters are different in my mind...I will wash a bedspread/quilt once a month or so, but I don't like to wash comforters b/c I don't like how they get lumpy.

My boys..... I have boys. Boys smell. They bathe daily. They still smell sometimes. They are active in sports and shower at night. Their stuff still has what I have come to call "the funk". Now, not my little one so much...yet. But, I had a brother growing up. A smelly brother. I get one small whiff of that smell and I freak. The boys don't have a top sheet because they just kick them down to the bottom of the bed or completely off the bed. So, I did away with them years ago. Both boys have a thick twin comforter on their beds and various throws. The comforters get washed every other week.

Have you considered using a duvet cover? Basically it's a sheet made into a big pocket that covers the comforter and gets washed with the sheets.

Laura

How about, we don't use top sheets and we also have dust mite allergies? :) Not bad, but prolly not applicable to you!

I should wash comforters weekly. I don't. If I had DECORATIVE bedspreads, they would get washed maybe quarterly. When I had my handmade antique crocheted lace coverlet on a bed (PRE KIDS), I never, ever washed it at all. :o

curtains: don't have them, I don't think I ever washed them when I did, just left them there when we moved and bought new ones

throw rug: don't really have any; runners, etc. with rubber backing are just vacuumed

bath mat: every 3-4 weeks, when they look dirty

shower curtain: (plastic), wiped down occasionally

shower curtain liner: (plastic), never, I replace it when it's yucky

mattress pad: rarely, once every few years

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation): don't have them

pillows: never, they get too lumpy if washed

blanket on bed: once a year

throw blanket on sofa/chair: don't use at the moment, maybe 2x/year

bedspread/quilt/comforter: once every year or two

Obviously these things are not on my radar, and are only attended to when necessary. I do have a plan for bedspreads: I intend to drag them all to the laundromat and wash them all in the jumbo utility washers before I put them away in the spring, or when I take them out in the fall. In reality, this has only happened twice in 6 years! Oh well.

curtains - I don't think I ever have. We have curtains in the bedrooms only.

throw rug - I have a throw rug right in front of my washer/dryer. I wash that one every other week or when it gets wet/dripped with laundry detergent.

bath mat - every other week or when needed (if it gets excessively wet or something spills)

shower curtain - as needed

shower curtain liner - never but we replace it often

mattress pad - don't have one

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) - don't have one

pillows - as needed. Not often.

blanket on bed - don't have one

throw blanket on sofa/chair - We have a bunch of these because we all sit with blankets on. They get washed as needed - which means whenever one of them looks like it's picked up too much fuzz, or someone spills something on it. Probably each one gets washed at least once a month.

bedspread/quilt/comforter - ours needs to go to the dry cleaners and that is $$ so probably only once a year unless something happens and it really really needs it.

Yes, why did I start a thread whose only potential was to make me feel even WORSE as a housekeeper? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb. :lol:

I wish someone would start a thread asking how often we clean our hand soap dispensers, because I really rock at that. I EXCEL at it.

You can't wash that! If it gets gunky enough it can only become soap. What could be cleaner than soap???

"Bad" explanation coming for the sake of Panda. :)

I would wash my comforter (huge, cordoroy cali king) every other week if I could. It can't take it. And I love it and don't want to replace it. So it gets washed twice a winter. I have a different, light bedspread for spring, summer, fall. We live in the desert. We only need heavy bed things for 4 months or so. Our bed is the only one to use a top sheet.

My boys..... I have boys. Boys smell. They bathe daily. They still smell sometimes. They are active in sports and shower at night. Their stuff still has what I have come to call "the funk". Now, not my little one so much...yet. But, I had a brother growing up. A smelly brother. I get one small whiff of that smell and I freak. The boys don't have a top sheet because they just kick them down to the bottom of the bed or completely off the bed. So, I did away with them years ago. Both boys have a thick twin comforter on their beds and various throws. The comforters get washed every other week. The throws at least once a month or whenever I get a "whiff". (Have I mentioned that I have an over-active sense of smell? I do. I realize that no one else would probably smell what I do. My family must live with this. Poor Them.)

So that's my bad explanation. Oh. This is translates into 2 loads of laundry one week. Four loads of laundry the following week. It coordinates with my work schedule so that my light week cleaning other people's houses has more laundry. Yes. I am OCD. My family must live with that, too. But, at least they are super sparkly clean while dealing with me!

I GET the Super Nose thing. I have an over active sniffer, but I've been blessed with kids who don't smell. the room actually smells better after my 15-year-old walks through it, but she's OCD about personal hygiene. (I'll knock on wood here because my son is 12 and funk could hit any minute.) In your case, wouldn't duvet covers make life easier?

Oh! seems like a lot of extra work. Mine are some sort of nylon that doesn't leak, Oh and I have a plastic one.

thanks for explaining.

We don't use a liner if we have a plastic shower curtain, but if you want to hang a cloth one (because they're pretty and match the adjacent bedroom), you have to line it to keep the cloth clean and the water in the tub.

curtains

throw rug

bath mat

shower curtain

shower curtain liner

mattress pad

pillows

blanket on bed

I am going to answer despite the fact you all may think I am a disgusting pig and block me forever. Here is the ugly truth....

Curtains...We have custom made draperies in every room. They get dusted and vacuumed, but never washed.

Throw rugs...are just pieces of cut carpet so they are shaken when we vacuum.

Bath mats....Kids use a folded up, labeled towel. Each child has their own. These get washed at minimum once a week and as often as several times a week to daily for my health conscience teens. Dh and I have a thick, padded, vinyl kitchen type mat in our bath. It gets wiped when I mop the bath, every week or two.

Shower curtain...seasonally.

Shower liners....ummm...we just replace when gross.

Mattress pads...monthly to seasonally, unless someone wets the bed.

Pillows...never. We fluff couch pillows in the dryer, and replace bed pillows several times a year. I am a bit of a bedding snob and have to sleep on fluffy pillows. Lol!

Blanket on bed...kids often, mine and oldest teen....way less frequently. They require being sent out and are ridiculously expensive.

Throw blankets...when needed.

I GET the Super Nose thing. I have an over active sniffer, but I've been blessed with kids who don't smell. the room actually smells better after my 15-year-old walks through it, but she's OCD about personal hygiene. (I'll knock on wood here because my son is 12 and funk could hit any minute.) In your case, wouldn't duvet covers make life easier?

I've never tried a duvet cover. I would think it would be frustrating for me to take the cover off and put it back on. I mean, it works like a giant pillow case with a closure, right? It's easy for me to throw their comforters in the wash. A duvet would definitely cut down on the loads I wash, but I think the hassle of removing and replacing it would outweigh the load reduction. Of course, I don't terribly mind doing laundry. Duvet users, how is the removal/replacing process for you?

My boys are very clean, just cause I feel the need to clarify. I just know when hormones kick in, they sometimes can't do anything about it (like my brother). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one sensitive to smells. Sometimes I feel crazy when no one else can smell the things I do!

Oh! seems like a lot of extra work. Mine are some sort of nylon that doesn't leak, Oh and I have a plastic one.

thanks for explaining.

Re: shower curtain liners. Many are plastic, but mine is made out of nylon or something like that and is washable in the machine. Then I have a cotton shower curtain that goes outside of the nylon one. I guess it's so the inside one keeps the water in and the outside one looks pretty. Anyway, our inside one gets dirtier much faster than the outside one.

Obviously these things are not on my radar, and are only attended to when necessary. I do have a plan for bedspreads: I intend to drag them all to the laundromat and wash them all in the jumbo utility washers before I put them away in the spring, or when I take them out in the fall. In reality, this has only happened twice in 6 years! Oh well.

I hear you! It would be nice to find a friend who does the same and make an outing out of it. I never see people at the laundromat doing bedspreads, though. They're always just doing regular laundry. I used to do ALL my laundry at the laundromat, and I rarely saw people bring in big loads of bedding even then.

I don't know how so many people are able to wash theirs at home. I don't think my washer is particularly small, but it would only hold the smallest and thinnest of my ds' bedding (3/4 bed size) and certainly can't hold any of our queen size bedding.

I hear you! It would be nice to find a friend who does the same and make an outing out of it. I never see people at the laundromat doing bedspreads, though. They're always just doing regular laundry. I used to do ALL my laundry at the laundromat, and I rarely saw people bring in big loads of bedding even then.

I don't know how so many people are able to wash theirs at home. I don't think my washer is particularly small, but it would only hold the smallest and thinnest of my ds' bedding (3/4 bed size) and certainly can't hold any of our queen size bedding.

We wash all of our bedding weekly (due to dust mite allergies and asthma) but our largest bed is only a full. All the beds have quilts and they fit in our machines just fine.

We wash all of our bedding weekly (due to dust mite allergies and asthma) but our largest bed is only a full. All the beds have quilts and they fit in our machines just fine.

I'm going to thank my lucky stars that ours don't fit, so I have an excuse to continue my slothful ways. :smilielol5:

Okay, so I might not be very diligent about my laundry, but apparently I am diligent about laundry STATISTICS, because I'm making a chart of all the responses in the thread. And I've spent more time in the last 24 hours thinking about laundry than actually doing any.

I've never tried a duvet cover. I would think it would be frustrating for me to take the cover off and put it back on. I mean, it works like a giant pillow case with a closure, right? It's easy for me to throw their comforters in the wash. A duvet would definitely cut down on the loads I wash, but I think the hassle of removing and replacing it would outweigh the load reduction. Of course, I don't terribly mind doing laundry. Duvet users, how is the removal/replacing process for you?

Once you've done it a few times, you get used to it. The way I do it: insert two quilt corners into the far duvet cover corners. Grab from the outside then shake the cover over the quilt. Then do up the snaps.

Laura

Why wash blankets and bedspreads regularly? When you have dust allergies, sensitive skin or are kinda sweaty. We are all three here. I don't wash weekly but if it were a seasonal or annual thing, they would be totally filthy. Also all sorts of stuff gets on beds from time to time. If your bed doesn't get stinky or dirty, more power to you but here with two adults, my bed needs regularly washed blankets and spreads. My main spread is a homemade quilt. It washes just fine monthly. The kids are both prepubescent and their beds don't seem to need more than the sheets washed often.

curtains -- Every couple of years? We only have curtains on two windows

throw rug -- Every couple of months, or sooner if they need it

bath mat -- Twice a week. Ours are the heavy towel kind, so they go in with the rest of the towels

shower curtain -- Never

shower curtain liner -- As needed. Probably about every three months.

mattress pad -- Three or four times a year

pillow cover* (not a pillowcase, see below for explanation) N/A

pillows -- Spring and fall

blanket on bed -- Every two or three months

throw blanket on sofa/chair -- Once a month or more (pets lay on them)

bedspread/quilt/comforter -- Every couple of months

We have a medium-sized front loader and it can easily handle queen-sized bedspreads and blankets.

I'm one of the people who washes my blankets/quilts very often. It's because I have three black cats! Between the shedding and the occasional hair balls, the blankets really need it, and they're very sturdy and fit in my washer and dryer easily. Also...I've been known to drool in my sleep, and I usually sleep with the blankets touching my face...so...yeah. :closedeyes:

I keep our nice handmade wedding ring quilt from DH's grandma on a quilt rack in our bedroom. I'd feel bad about drool and hairballs getting on that!