Menu

Just heard Sect. Of State Clinton is in hospital for blood clot

unsinkable

Admitting my ignorance here - I don't understand how a blood-clot results from the flu. Anyone have a good link explaining it? When I googled I came up with a lot of crazy political talk, but no medical information.

My mom is extremely ill with the flu right now (she was in the hospital last night) so I'm really curious.

Praying Sec. Clinton feels better soon.

Admitting my ignorance here - I don't understand how a blood-clot results from the flu. Anyone have a good link explaining it? When I googled I came up with a lot of crazy political talk, but no medical information.

My mom is extremely ill with the flu right now (she was in the hospital last night) so I'm really curious.

Praying Sec. Clinton feels better soon.

Not the flu. Sec. Clinton fell as a result of being dehydrated from the flu.

Not the flu. Sec. Clinton fell as a result of being dehydrated from the flu.

Oh, okay, so the blood clot is related to the concussion, not the flu itself. Is that right?

Flu - dehydrated - faint - fall - concussion - blood clot

Sheesh, that's a lot of bad stuff to happen all in a row.

There are a lot of risk factors for blood clots, including as someone pointed out, immobility, "estrogenic states" like taking the Pill, pregnancy, estrogen supplementation; but there are worse ones too, like occult cancers. Hopefully that is not the case here. I did not realize that she had a clot in the past. That is reassuring in a way, because it probably means she has some genetic predisposition to clotting-not a great thing, but not occult cancer.

From what I understand, she has a sinus vein thrombosis....a blood clot behind her ear. It's a weird complication to have from a concussion...it almost never happens...but it is one of the few blood clots in the brain they can treat with blood thinners. 80% of patients will recover fully, but it may take months. The rest of them may recover, but with a poorer neurological outcome, and some do die from it. Hopefully they've caught hers early enough and can fully treat it with no further damage. She will most likely be indisposed for several weeks to several months though.

From what I understand, she has a sinus vein thrombosis....a blood clot behind her ear. It's a weird complication to have from a concussion...it almost never happens...but it is one of the few blood clots in the brain they can treat with blood thinners. 80% of patients will recover fully, but it may take months. The rest of them may recover, but with a poorer neurological outcome, and some do die from it. Hopefully they've caught hers early enough and can fully treat it with no further damage. She will most likely be indisposed for several weeks to several months though.

Thank you very much for the update. Our family will definitely keep her in our hearts and best wishes.