Menu

Need input on buying a breadmaker. ..

Whitney in KY

I've been looking into this also! Do you currently make your own bread or is this something new for you? Do you use wheat flour or plan to make white wheat bread? Asking because these kinds of things might influence how much you want to spend and also because the features vary so widely by machine. I'm drooling over this one: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB-PAC20-Bakery-Virtuoso-Breadmaker/dp/B0067MQM48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356925368&sr=8-1&keywords=zojirushi+bread+machine I like it because it makes a 2 lb loaf (important for our family of 5), I like the standard loaf shape, I like the fact it has a light and a heating element in the lid (supposed to ensure even baking) and I like that it can handle a whole wheat loaf (all we make). I do not like the price. ;) LOL Hope this helps at all! If you are new (or not) to breadmaking, there are loads of great tutorials, including some about various bread machines on this website: http://www.breadbeckers.com/store/pc/Product-Demos-c215.htm#Busy_Fam

My advice is to go to a thrift store or Goodwill where you can buy a new one for $10. I started using bread machine about 7 years, and I'm on my second thrift store buy. They both worked great.

Like a PP, I usually only use the machine for mixing and first rise. I do use the whole cycle sometimes, but I prefer my shaped loaves to the bread machine shape. I use our machine for bread, pizza dough, and breadsticks.

I'm another who just uses the machine to mix, knead, and first rise. I've had a Breadman for a decade and it's still going strong. I've had no trouble doing whole wheat, making a loaf that is 12 inches long, and adding a seed blend to the mix. It's been a worthwhile purchase! I've often thought of upgrading to a Zo but can't really justify it since my Breadman is performing well.

I love my Zo. :)

I've been told that higher end machines like the Zo will hold up better than cheaper models if you bake mostly whole grain breads. I've had mine for about 8 years and have only had to replace the paddles.

I bought a zoji this time becasue it has the loaf pan, and I'm very happy with the thing. . I think it gives a better mix job with two paddles. It replaced a breadman which had one feature I liked - it had a feature that would dump in the raisens (or whatever) at the appropriate time instead of me having to listen for the beep.

but ds hates raisens in bread products, I don't do that much anyway.

For me, the bread machine was a gateway appliance. First, I thought it was a miracle! The think about homemade bread, though, is you get pickier. Next I moved on to using it to mix the dough and baking in the oven. My final step was to get a kitchen aid and retire the bread machine. I held on to it for two years, but I never used it again after getting a mixer. I finally gave it away. It had a great run for a $50 machine.

Now I have a sourdough starter living in my fridge that I treat like a pet. Yep . . . gateway appliance.

I bake all of my bread in the oven after doing the knead and first rise in the breadmaker. For that, any 2nd hand breadmaker will do just fine. I'd buy a couple of good bread pans for baking. Or, the suggestion someone else made about using a KitchenAid for the kneading is a good one! Depends on your cash flow, honestly.

I've used my kitchenaid but I prefer my bread machine- I can set it and walk away. When I come back, I punch it down, form it, and let it rise and bake. My kitchen is a chilly 60 degrees in winter so that first rise in the machine is a godsend. My new oven has a proof mode and that works beautifully for the second rise. I'm just too lazy to give up the convenience of my bread machine.

I love my Zojirushi. The features I use the most are the whole wheat setting and the time delay, so we wake up to fresh bread. It's also low mess which is important to me--dump the ingredients in the pan, and then all I have to clean are the measuring cups and the pan. I have also made quick breads and jam in it, and the dough setting when I'm making rolls or pizza, but haven't tried the sourdough or custom settings.

I don't know how long other brands last, but a Zo will last over 10 years IME.

Funny I started with a Kitchen-Aid and went to a breadmaker.I still love and use my Kitchen-Aid for cookies, which are more my specialty. I made a lot of the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes, but I can't bake in the oven during the summer. It gets so hot here, I really don't want to turn on the oven if I can help it. The bread machine will give me baked bread without the oven heat.

I love my Zo and use it almost every day for sandwich bread. And jam. I shall never buy jam again... It is SO easy to make in the bread machine!

But, I also do Artisan Bread in 5 for some loaves. (The olive oil dough makes excellent focaccia loaves for panini sandwiches, btw!). In the summer, I still do some AB5, but do the baking outside on the grill. We use a cast iron pizza pan instead of a baking stone, which works great. I've read that the basic boule can be baked on the grill in a cast iron Dutch oven w/out added steam. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to try! Anyway... Another possible way to avoid kitchen heat in the summer. :)

Still, nothing bets waking up in the morning to a fresh loaf of bread waiting in the bread machine. I pop the ingredients in the pan before bed and set the timer.

I never thought about some folks not wanting to bake in the summer. We live.....well, practically in Canada and where it won't get above zero Fahrenheit today. I guess if I was down south, I'd prefer my breadmaker. Up here, we just say "bring on global warming" LOL

I started with a Kitchen Aid mixer--big heavy one that has metal gears not plastic, but it struggled with whole grain recipes. I still use it for cakes, cookies, and pastry. I've had two Black and Decker bread machines (first one quit under warranty, and then a Breadman Pro. They both turned out decent loaves of bread. After I wore all those out, I bought a Zo and it's lasted longer than anything else. I use it mainly for making dough which I bake in the oven, but the sandwich bread made in the machine is our staple for breakfast toast. I also usually have a bowl of Artisan in 5 olive oil dough in the refrigerator and keep sourdough on hand too. Once I mastered the art of making a decent sandwich roll we stopped buying bread at the store.

Wow! This is a lot of information to chew on. I am reading each and every response and pondering what you have said. I do have a Kitchen aid and have made artisan bread with it but it is so messy. I was looking to the machine for ease of preparation. Thanks for all your help!!

Whitney

You don't need ANY machine for Artisan bread. It's too wet. You'd need different bread recipes for the Kitchenaid or a bread machine because they knead the dough. My old bread machine actually came with a great recipe book. I still use those recipes in my Kitchenaid. The trouble is, once you get used to making the fine adjustments to make the dough 'feel' right, you stop trusting the bread machine to do it for you and you just start using it as a mixer.

I researched breadmachines for a full 2 months before I made my purchase about 4 yrs ago. I went with this one:

Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker with YeastPro yeast dispenser

I love it! I have never had any problems. I use the rapid bake for my freshly ground, whole wheat bread even though it is supposed to be for white bread. From start to finish it only takes 1 hr 55 min! I use weight for my measurements and have always made the heavier bread types. This machine has held up well.

ETA: Amazon and Newegg both have it for $109.99 right now.

Wow! This is a lot of information to chew on. I am reading each and every response and pondering what you have said. I do have a Kitchen aid and have made artisan bread with it but it is so messy. I was looking to the machine for ease of preparation. Thanks for all your help!!

Whitney

The trickiest thing about achieving "ease of preparation" is finding how to incorporate bread making into a manageable routine that works for you. The "best" tools/methods will differ based on your preferences.

For artisan bread I use the simplest method outlined in the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day because it doesn't require specialized equipment or kneading. I use a large mixing spoon to stir the dough and cover the mixing bowl with a plate for storing. It's the easiest and fastest way for me--when I remember to start a new batch a day ahead. The instructions say you can use the dough the same day as mixing, but it is a LOT harder to handle and I hate cleaning up sticky dough.

I prefer the bread machine for making higher gluten doughs for dinner and sandwich rolls and for whole grain loaves of various shapes.

Sourdough is pretty easy too--I've cobbled together a method similar to the Artisan in 5 suggestions, but it takes longer and is best done it in stages. You can make a soft dough that you treat like the Artisan in 5 dough, or add a bit more flour and knead prior to the second rising for a more "refined" end product. We don't have an AC so I always get out of practice over the summer. I feed the starter and bake a loaf occasionally just to keep things going.

My foster daughter made her first loaf of homemade bread tonight in our bread machine. Until last week she had never even had homemade bread. I have a Breadman Ultimate and it is super easy to do. Takes about 3-5 minutes to put the ingredients in and it beeps when it is done.

I am sure I could do fancier stuff with it or make "better" bread using different methods but this is super quick and easy and it tastes great.