Menu

Aldi's vs. Publix

Candid

Update: I think I have the information I need.

So I'm planning a vacation trip and will need to grocery shop. My dh is on a low sodium diet and I get amazing snacks here in bulk (roasted almonds are my favorite) but there are others.

Can some of you compare these or talk about one or the other?

I'll also need to buy regular stuff, too, so don't get totally focused on low sodium snacks.

Aldi will just have a much more limited selection, and much of it is processed, so very high in sodium. Publix is great, amazing customer service, and lots and lots of health concioius stuff. Most aisles have a "greenwise" section, where the organic/healthier/etc items are. So for instance, in the aisle with all the canned soups there is a subsection of organic brands/etc. Oh, and Publix has its own generic that is really good, and some of those come low sodium. For instance I can buy black beans in a can from any major brand, or the Publix brand ones, or the Publix low sodium ones. Plus Publix has better meat and produce.

Also, Publix deli is great for sandwhiches. You can get boarshead meats on the sandwhich to reduce sodium, and their subs are SOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy.

Yes Publix is a regular grocery store and they typically have awesome customer service. But their prices are higher than even Kroger. I do like Publix for meats and bakery. And their BOGO deals are good. Otherwise I usually shop at Kroger. Aldi is a 20-minute drive for me so I don't go that often unless it's time to stock up on trash bags or butter. I will also get chocolate chips, spices, and veggies if I'm there. They have good prices on everything but I usually don't buy snack foods there except maybe the kettle chips.

Publix is a fancy grocer; the staff is great, the prices are higher unless you buy bogo or other items on sale. I typically go there for their bogo's and "fancy" produce that other stores don't carry. I shop at Aldi once a week; usually produce, eggs, nuts, and baking stuff. I spend the most at Kroger; I have a Kroger card I put cash on, and Kroger donates 4% of what I spend to my dd's band fee's at her highschool. I also get all of our rx's there and buy all gift cards from there for the triple gas points. We typically get .70 cents of each gallon of gas once a month.