Menu

2 year old having trouble sleeping

ktgrok

Normally I'm a real laid back parent. I know some kids wake at night longer than others. That's fine. But my dd has been waking up multiple times a night for the past 3 months, since my youngest was born. Before that she usually slept through, or woke once for a few minutes and could easily be settled. Now she wakes up every few hours and cries and cries...I take her potty and she goes, but still cries. I offer water, I put her on the couch..that usually works and then she sleeps for a few hours on the couch. Then she wakes again. I'd let her sleep with me but she is restless even then. She never coslept as a baby because she slept better in her own space. I'm at a loss, and she is TOTALLY grumpy because of the lack of sleep. She stopped napping around the same time, and potty trained. Any thoughts? She falls alseep fine, it is the staying asleep that is the issue.

Have you tried noise? A fan or a radio playing all night? With a new baby in the house, the nighttime noises might be disrupting her sleep.

except the baby is sleeping through the night almost! I wake him to nurse before I go to bed, around 11pm, and he sleeps until 6am most of the time. My first good sleeper and I don't get to enjoy it because I'm up with the 2 year old! (she will be 3 in Feb). Driving me CRAZY! But it's worth a try.

She just woke up, and was headed to the potty, crying, half asleep. I took her potty and she was scratching all over so I changed her out of the fleece jammies into cotton ones. I put her back in bed and she screamed, then ran out into the living room. She plopped face first onto the bean bag and passed out immediately. She's still there. It's such a high, overfiled one that she is practically standing up. This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

Does she seem awake or with it at all? This is the prime age for night terrors for my kids. It seems like a small possibility. Mine don't cry a sad cry, but an angry one almost.

I'd say half asleep. She seems to know who I am, and can manuver around the house. But won't talk/won't answer any questions, doesn't even ask to nurse (she still nurses about twice a day). If I attempt to nurse her she falls right back asleep, but I'm trying not to do that. And since she isn't asking to I don't think that is the issue. She normally will just climb into my bed, or onto the couch, or even just lay on the floor, once I suggest it to her.

I'd say half asleep. She seems to know who I am, and can manuver around the house. But won't talk/won't answer any questions, doesn't even ask to nurse (she still nurses about twice a day). If I attempt to nurse her she falls right back asleep, but I'm trying not to do that. And since she isn't asking to I don't think that is the issue. She normally will just climb into my bed, or onto the couch, or even just lay on the floor, once I suggest it to her.

If that's the case, I'd be tempted to make a pallet on the floor for her and let her sleep there for a bit. Still near me, but not RIGHT NEXT TO ME. (My kids seem to crave being next to me/almost in top of me until they're about 3.5)

If that's the case, I'd be tempted to make a pallet on the floor for her and let her sleep there for a bit. Still near me, but not RIGHT NEXT TO ME. (My kids seem to crave being next to me/almost in top of me until they're about 3.5)

If she'd stay asleep on it I'd build her her own bed next to mine. but even IN bed with me she isn't sleeping well it seems. I took her back to the couch early this am because I was getting elbowed in my very engorged chest over and over as she tossed and turned.