Menu

Charlotte Yonge or Henty?

cin

I have two girls. I've heard that Henty's books are not that thrilling for girls. Yonge's books seem to be more geared towards girls, but are they as historically accurate? I know that anything *I* tell them to read will be a HORRENDOUS chore. :rolleyes: So I'd like to make it the least tortuous as possible. At least today.

I do have days when I threaten my 11 yr old with War and Peace. Just because she can never find anything she likes to read. Funny thing is, she LOVES to read. Just can't ever find the right book. EVER.

I've read a few of the Henty books. I've enjoyed some more than others. The Cat of Bubastes was so-so, but I really enjoyed In Freedom's Cause (Wallace and Bruce). The latter actually had more battle description than the former. I've read at least one or two others, but can't recall which ones. Other histories I've enjoyed: The Killer Angels, Michael Shaara; John Adams by McCullough; several by Michener (Poland; Chesapeake, The Covenant).

Lisa

I don't know anything about the Yonge books, but I do know that my now 7th grade dd likes the Henty books. We have read them as read-a-louds for the last few years. Since our move, I do not have them available through a church or local library but someone on this website recommended www.openlibrary.org

We have enjoyed all the ancient history ones - Cat of Bubastes, For the Temple, etc

Good luck,

ReneeR

I'll look in to the Yonge books

Henty. Blech. Just because a book is old doesn't make it a "classic." And doesn't excuse its racism necessarily.

I haven't read Yonge so I can't comment on her though.

This is for the OP's 11 yo? What's the desire? To read historical fiction? If so, then there's a ton of great historical fiction, especially with female protagonists written for YA or upper MG. Might she enjoy Ann Rinaldi? Or Laurie Halse Anderson? Or Karen Cushman? Or Rosemary Sutcliff? There are many options out there...

I have two girls. I've heard that Henty's books are not that thrilling for girls. Yonge's books seem to be more geared towards girls, but are they as historically accurate? I know that anything *I* tell them to read will be a HORRENDOUS chore. :rolleyes: So I'd like to make it the least tortuous as possible. At least today.

I do have days when I threaten my 11 yr old with War and Peace. Just because she can never find anything she likes to read. Funny thing is, she LOVES to read. Just can't ever find the right book. EVER.

We read The Little Duke by Yonge. ds and I liked it and it fit with the history I learned visiting Normandy. It was longer and slower paced than modern kid lit. (I didn't see that as a disadvantage. )

Is there a particular period you're trying to link to?