Menu

Late pregnancy spotting, tmi

Teresa in MO

Some of you might remember my post a couple of days ago about my dd making the trip here at 33.5 weeks pregnant. They came last night in what was a rough trip weatherwise. They were completely wrong with the forecast and they drove through snow for about 2 1/2 hours. So they finally arrived and about an hour later my dd came to be and said she had some dark brown spotting on her pantyliner. It stopped after a couple of times. No other problems until now when she said it has returned and it a little heavier. She is laying down now. The baby is moving fine. She also has had a little burning when going to the bathroom. Her lower back was hurting last night a little. She has a history of kidney stones. She is wondering what to do. They will be going back home probably tomorrow. Do you think she should risk going to the ER or wait and call her doctor when she gets back home if it continues?

Any spotting that late would really concern me, personally. I had a preemie at 24 weeks and my preterm labor started with spotting. My baby was moving normally, too, but something terrible had already started (we still don't know what happened). I don't want to freak you or your dd out, but I would get to a doctor/ER ASAP to monitor that baby and make sure nothing serious is going on. I waited too long with mine and they couldn't stop the labor.

Hugs and good luck to you and your dd.

She should definitely get to a doctor (or ER if she can't reach a doctor on the weekend) today, even if the bleeding stops. It could be nothing serious, but there are some things a doctor would want to check her for to make sure everything is ok. Don't wait until she returns home.

I think when it comes to pregnancy it is better to be overly concerned and take action than a wait and see approach. It is probably nothing but I would rather have a midwife/OB tell me that than waiting to see if it gets worse.

I know there is nothing worse than heading to an ER in bad weather but it is probably worth a trip.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Thanks everyone, she took an OTC urinary tract infection test and it showed positive for a high White blood cell count. She called her doctor and said he thought it was an infection but wanted her to go to labor and delivery so they could do a culture and monitor the baby awhile. Prayers would be appreciated.