Menu

are there people you don't know that you pray about...

bettyandbob

Not victims of the latest disaster and not people here ( I feel like we know eachother a little bit). I'm thinking people you've had a brief encounter with, whom you will likely never see again.

I met this woman dropping her dd off at NMMI last summer when I was dropping off my ds. Her dd was enrolled in the 2 year commissioning program so school was all paid for. She was sort of transferring. She had been working and attending cc in CA full time, but according to the mom the cc system is messed up and there was no guarantee you'd ever get the classes you actually needed within 2 years or even 3. She found out about the 2 year commissioning program and went for it. Mom was so proud. Mom had just taken early retirement from a state job that did not sound like something paid well. She took early retirement to care for her father. 4 days before they drove east to NMMI, mom's sister is put and jail and mom got a call from social services asking if she will be guardian for the sister's 4.5 and 8 yo children. So, they were in along on this trip. I talked a lot to the two kids, partly, I thought their aunt was over stressed and really needed to focused on seeing her own dd almost more than I needed to focus on my ds. (matriculation day is a little different than drop off at typical colleges, you spend time trying to get glimpses of you child here and there). The mom was worried about social services in CA because she had to bring the kids on the trip, she is the only family who can be responsible, but school started that week, so the kids would miss the first week of school. She told social services the situation and they weren't real helpful or nice about it.

Anyway, I had this brief encounter and learned a lot about this woman. I think she had been hit with so much at once and had not had a chance to process and that's why she talked so much while we were hanging out hoping to see our dc march by. Since then, I've wondered about her. I pray about her and her niece and nephew. I guess with social services involved she wasn't going to get to move to help her dad. I don't know. I just for some reason pray about this woman.

Anyway, do you have random people you pray about.

This is a timely topic for me, since my 2013 ambition is to become a prayer warrior. I'll be driving to the Barnes and Noble in your city tomorrow afternoon to buy a little notebook to write my prayer lists in. I feel that the Lord has brought to my attention recently that I haven't been praying for people in my past. These are people who have been kind to me, or important in my development, but whom I wouldn't think to pray for, because they're (seemingly) doing just fine. Trouble is, they don't know the Lord, and they aren't saved. I feel prompted to write down lists of these people, and to pray for them and their families. There has to be a reason these particular people were placed in my life, and perhaps it's so I could know them and pray for them. What if no one else is doing that?! It is a sad thing to not have anyone praying for you each day.

Former employers, old boyfriends, high school and college acquaintances, old neighbors, distant relatives...anyone the Lord brings to my mind will go on the list.

Yes, I do pray for random people. My cousin was a teacher and the parents of one of her students moved a month before the end of school and my cousin took the student into her home and kept him so that he could finish the year with his class that he had known since kindergarten. This was in the late 80's. A couple of years ago I told my aunt I had felt led to pray for the "boy" who was now surely grown up somewhere all week. My aunt told me that he had been spending the week doing some very dangerous training exercises in the Marines and he had been worried at the beginning of the week. That sort of thing happens all the time when you are in the "prayer zone."