Menu

D@=+!

Laura Corin

Husband is down in London Monday to Friday at the moment, looking for work. He came up to be with us for Christmas - as there's no activity in the job market during this period. He just got a call from his flat mate to say that the flat has been pretty-much cleaned out. The thieves broke down the back door and took everything portable. Some really worthless things were taken: perhaps to make it look like a regular house move. They must have had a van. Luckily, Husband had his phone and laptop up here, and for some reason they didn't take his cheque book or passports.

There was another small burglary a month ago - again, when no-one was home. It looks like that was an investigative raid before they came in during the Christmas period.

So: change all the locks, put in reinforced doors, and pay to install a burglar alarm. Nothing else to be done - there's a limit to how secure you can make an old house like that, and all the occupants are out of the house a lot so it's vulnerable. It's a listed (historic) building so we can't change the look of the outside. The flat mates are likely to want to leave, and we don't feel able to force them to pay out their contracts.

Laura

I"m so sorry! What a ROTTEN way to ring in the New Year! UGH! What about a dog? Are pets allowed in your husband's flat? I know it sounds sort of simplistic, but our friend who is a detective in a major New England city swears that the sound of a barking dog does more to deter criminals from breaking and entering than most other measures. They don't want the suspicion the barking arouses, and don't want to deal with what's potentially on the other side of the door!

Again, so sorry...... sending hugs!

astrid

I"m so sorry! What a ROTTEN way to ring in the New Year! UGH! What about a dog? Are pets allowed in your husband's flat? I know it sounds sort of simplistic, but our friend who is a detective in a major New England city swears that the sound of a barking dog does more to deter criminals from breaking and entering than most other measures. They don't want the suspicion the barking arouses, and don't want to deal with what's potentially on the other side of the door!

Again, so sorry...... sending hugs!

astrid

The thing is, Husband is back and forth and his flatmates are young and not likely to want to take responsibility for a dog.

Laura