Menu

Homemade Gifts: What did you make and how was it received?

m0mmaBuck

I can't figure out how to search on here so could someone link me to the earlier posts as I know there were some, please?

I made flannel PJ pants and they loved them. $1.99/yard + elastic means less than $3/pair for the kids. The adults cost a little more because I used more yardage (about 3 yds per adult) but they were still a bargain and well-received.

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/blog/pajama-pants-tutorial.html

I knit scarves and hats for everyone. Depending on the yarn I used and the length of the scarf, the sets cost anywhere from about $4 to $10.

I bought fleece at $1.99/yd and made double-sided scarves for some of the neices/nephews. For kids, each scarf was 6" x whatever the length of the fabric off the bolt was so 6 scarves from $4 worth of fabric = $0.67/scarf. For adults, you need to double the length but it's still a bargain at $1.33/yd.

http://tipnut.com/fleece-scarf-patterns/

DS made washer necklaces. It was $8.99 for the stamping set and after that each necklace (with metal dog chain style chain, 2 washers and a bead) cost about $3. http://www.the36thavenue.com/2011/07/believe.html

DD made potholders on her loom. The set was $5 and it had loops for 4 potholders. I bought another refill pack of loops for about $3. I'd say in total should could make 10 potholders so that's $0.80/loom.

I made a pillowcase for dd with fabric I already had so $0; knit a dishcloth for my mom with yarn I already had $0 and made 5 bendy people with mostly supplies I already had (I bought a bags of 5 heads for $1.50, so grand total for all the gifts $1.50

They were all very well received with requests from others in the family for dishcloths, and from people online for bendy dolls.

I made food gifts for DH's brother/SIL and sister/BIL. I haven't heard from them if they liked them or not. I sent them with MIL because it was our year to be at my side of the family. My MIL said that they like them though. I made homemade cocoa mix, bean soup mix, and a s'mores cookie mix, along with a little recipe book that DD illustrated on how to put them together.

My mom made my DS a wonderful crocheted afghan that he absolutely loves. It is a tad bit small, but it is his favorite color and he says that it is very special because it was made by his grandma.

I made close to forty pillowcases for Christmas presents. The ones for my sisters' families, I left for them to find when thy arrived at the family beach condo for Christmas. They arrived the night before us. I left the pillowcases, a gift certificate to the local beach bar and a note saying not to have too much fun before we got there. The pillowcases were on everyone's pillows when I got there.

Two pillowcases I packed as car bags for my littlest niece and nephew who drive from our house to their other grandparents' house. My DSIL and DBIL were very thankful.

I gave 20-30 jars of my lotion and it has been wonderful!!

I've been using it for around a month and my skin is genuinely softer!! This lotion is easy, cheap and good for your skin!! I love lotion so this has been exciting for me! :)

Homemade Coconut Oil Lotion (you can also use olive oil)

Sorry cant figure out how to link on my phone.

http://www.mercyisnew.com/2012/11/homemade-coconut-oil-lotion-it-works.html?m=1

I appliqued four shirts for my boys - a boy ballet one for my ballet dancer, one with an old fashioned typewriter for my budding writer, one with the logo of their imaginary corporation, and a soccer one. They really like them. I do this every year, so they were quite expected, but they were excited about the patterns.

For dh, I made a special memory board for him to put all his saved theater tickets on (he has become a complete theater nut in the last few years). It was the first gift he played with and arranged all his tickets very excitedly on it.

For a cousin's dd, I painted two chunky peg dolls. Her dd has bright red hair so I painted her one red-haired princess and one red-haired cowgirl. I haven't spoken with my cousin, but my grandmother said that the dd toted them around one in each hand all day after getting them, so I think they were well-received.

Oh! And how could I forget? I made my ds a big Lego chess set custom just for them. I ordered all the parts from Bricklink from various sellers. You can see it here. It has been much loved. They have played chess SO many times this week. Now we just have to figure out a place to put it. It really is kind of large. I'm thinking I should have made a little Lego box for the minifigs so the board could slide away with the other games!

I made several gifts this year, and they were all received very well. Here are links to some of the things I made.

Ceramic Tile Coasters (decorative napkins for friends and photos for family)

Shower Curtain Car Playmat (special needs nephew, I searched google images for some of his favorite places to go, printed them and laminated them, and used velcro dots to attach them to the curtain.)

Felt Mug Cozy (made these for 3 close friends who are tea/coffee drinkers)

Felt Bookmarks (for dd and friend)

Decorative Clothespin Magnets (for friends)

Ice Cream Sundae Kit (for a family that are our friends)

Photo Bookmarks (for dh)

Microwave Spiced Nuts (for all the men in the family)

Spicy Crackers (for all the men in the family)

Decorated Journals (for dd)

Homemade Reece's Cups (for s-i-l)

Recipe Scrapbook (for newly married niece)

I made these capes and hats for my girls. http://projectrunandplay.blogspot.com/2011/09/audrey-cape-tutorial.html?m=1. Not too thrifty because I bought some quality brown and white tweed and lined them with giraffe print fleece. They probably ended up costing $25 each. They love them and wear them everywhere.

My oldest made one of those twine wrapped letters for her violin teacher and my youngest helped me make a caramel corn snack mix for her. She liked them. http://ejoym.blogspot.com/2011/11/autumn-entryway.html?m=1

I made myself one of these and I love it! :-). http://destashification.com/2011/08/28/boho-sling-bag-tutorial-using-fat-quarters/

I made my secret sister at church some hand warmers and she loved them. Just sewed rectangle pouches and filled them with rice and a little dried lavender.

I made hardanger (embroidery) candle wraps (pillar candle included). The people on my side of the family seemed to like them (I was right there, so, at the very least they appeared to like them). I haven't heard from dh's side of the family. Not even sure if they got them.

I'll try to attach a photo if I can figure it out.

My daughter made Batman portraits for my siblings. My sister went crazy over hers. My brother hasn't gotten his yet.

Another daughter made gloves which turned out very well, and were well received.

I also gave homemade soap and Shea and bath bombs, etc. for gifts. Everyone liked those,but there was no surprise involved because they kept calling saying,"I just want you to know that this is my favorite scent." Or "Would you tell Santa that I'm almost out of Shea?"

I am so bookmarking this thread... once I figure out how to do that.

post-70248-0-36248300-1356835069_thumb.jpg

The boys made these bookmarks for everybody. They enjoyed it and people seem to like them. I wish I had made the little guy's cape falling down in the upside-down one but otherwise they turned out like I had hoped.

post-70248-0-36248300-1356835069_thumb.jpg

I made these apple dip jar treats for the kids' teachers at church, and they were very well received: http://www.eventtrender.com/blog/2011/11/a-is-for-apple.html

My first grader saw some (clearance!) camo yarn and BEGGED me for a scarf, so I crocheted one for him; he loves it, and it makes me so happy to see him wearing it around the house.

(To the poster who made the washer necklaces, I made those for all the teens in our youth group at church last year, and I see the girls still wearing them. :) The boys' ones were keychains.)

We, as in 6 year-old DS, DH, and myself, made cookie cutter salt dough ornaments, and, for our first time ever, we made and decorated sugar cookies to supplement the small main gifts we gave. Money is very tight, so we worked hard to find the time and enjoyed making these decorated items, as well as trying to give meaningful gifts to each person. They were pretty much glossed over or ignored all together. We won't be doing it for family again. Next year, if we make anything at all, it will be for our friends that we know will appreciate it, or for the strangers like the police, fire fighters, and our car mechanic that at least were grateful. :glare:

I made candle holders/vases with the last names etched into them for each of my in-law families. They are filled with votive candles and peppermint candy right now. We have Christmas tomorrow so we will see if they like them. I'm making one each for my sister and Mom too, but we won't meet for Christmas for a few weeks due to some family's work schedules.

Guest submarines

I can't figure out how to search on here so could someone link me to the earlier posts as I know there were some, please?

I made flannel PJ pants and they loved them. $1.99/yard + elastic means less than $3/pair for the kids. The adults cost a little more because I used more yardage (about 3 yds per adult) but they were still a bargain and well-received.

http://www.theribbon...s-tutorial.html

I knit scarves and hats for everyone. Depending on the yarn I used and the length of the scarf, the sets cost anywhere from about $4 to $10.

I bought fleece at $1.99/yd and made double-sided scarves for some of the neices/nephews. For kids, each scarf was 6" x whatever the length of the fabric off the bolt was so 6 scarves from $4 worth of fabric = $0.67/scarf. For adults, you need to double the length but it's still a bargain at $1.33/yd.

http://tipnut.com/fl...scarf-patterns/

DS made washer necklaces. It was $8.99 for the stamping set and after that each necklace (with metal dog chain style chain, 2 washers and a bead) cost about $3. http://www.the36thav...07/believe.html

DD made potholders on her loom. The set was $5 and it had loops for 4 potholders. I bought another refill pack of loops for about $3. I'd say in total should could make 10 potholders so that's $0.80/loom.

Awesome!

What kind of stamping kit did you use? Thanks!