Menu

Thinking of trying the Whole 30 in January

teachermom2834

Has anyone else done this? Anyone else thinking of starting in January? I know there have been discussions here but a search didn't really turn up much.

I've got about 10 lbs to lose. I've been low carb for awhile but I feel like I've let too many carbs sneak in or too many unhealthy foods that are technically low carb but not really healthy.

Any thoughts? Anyone else going to give it a go in January?

I think the most difficult part of cutting out carbs is the detox symptoms, that stuff is nasty! I do a modified whole 30 and allow the family dairy products. I have found that we do not consume a large amount to begin with and I don't really like milk so it isn't a problem for me, but cutting out cheeses in some dishes made the whole 30 impossible for me to eat with the family... so I do allow that exception :) I also found for my family just cutting out crackers, cookies, bread was enough for us. We could still do whole wheat pastas and rice and that was more than enough to make changes for the better. My son that is dyslexic and ADH was a whole nother child, the best benefit!! My ulcer cleared up and I did drop a lot of water weight, etc. I think the whole 30 can be great, but I'm not fully convinced that it has to be all or nothing... Eating clean and no going sugar/carb crazy is good enough for most!

I should say I've seen just as many Paleo people go crazy with cookies. bread, treats that are Paleo friendly with coconut flours and almond flours. I find when I eat more clean I don't do as many treats and that is better than just transfering flours and still consuming all the "junk". It's the same with a vegan consuming junk food, that isn't the point!

Whole30 is great! I highly recommend everyone to give it a try for just 30 days. I did and 9 months later I am still 98% following the diet. I am on half of my thyroid meds and I have had "0" joint pain since about week 2 or 3 (my joint pain began when I was 24 and was pretty much constant until I began Whole 30). I will be 35 in January and I feel the better than I did 10 years ago.

I say go for it. I doubt you will regret it.