Menu

Would it bother you if someone brought a dog into McDonalds?

staceyobu

It'd bother me. I am fine with service dogs (and they can be any size, really, but the OP picture pooch doesn't quite seem the type...)

A dear friend's young daughter has an official service dog (labrador) to help her with the effects from FAS. The other day, they were denied entrance to a Chipotle, even tho they had all the documentation and the vest. Made me so mad!

I thought it was illegal to deny a service dog entrance. I am not doubting your story. It makes me mad, too.

No...I lived in Europe for 7 years and they take their dogs most places with them. They were also very well behaved. I never minded at all.

I haven't lived outside the U.S., but this is what I was thinking of. As long as the dog is quiet and unobtrusive, I'd be ok with it.

Now, since it's not allowed by law here, the owner shouldn't do it. *That* would bug me more than the actual presence of the dog: the owner's thumbing his nose at the law, so to speak.

And don't get me started on the fake therapy/personal assistant dog certifications people can get nowadays. :cursing:

The last one of these I saw was at the laundromat. It was a little purse dog, and it was running madly around the laundromat PEEING on all the laundry carts. :blink: When I politely informed the owners that their dog was marking everything in sight, the younger woman said, "Oh, it's okay. He's a certified therapy dog."

Maybe the laws have changed, but I'm pretty sure that even therapy dogs don't get to run around public businesses, barking and peeing on stuff.

This kind of thing really makes me mad. So many people run to the doctor to get a little note saying that their dog has to go everywhere with them for "anxiety," that it's given a bad rep to people who really do benefit from having a pet with them to treat anxiety. And as someone with OCD/anxiety AND epilepsy, I can see how a therapy dog could be a tremendous help for some people.

I haven't lived outside the U.S., but this is what I was thinking of. As long as the dog is quiet and unobtrusive, I'd be ok with it.

Now, since it's not allowed by law here, the owner shouldn't do it. *That* would bug me more than the actual presence of the dog: the owner's thumbing his nose at the law, so to speak.

This. I don't care for dogs inside restaurants (outside tables don't bother me) but I think that's my issue. (Years in europe has not changed my mind.) Its also why I don't have a dog (or any pet). I actually like dogs but can't stand the potential dirtiness of them inside a closed space with food.

But I think that when there is a law prohibiting non-service dogs from being there, its quite rude for people to blatantly disobey. That alone bugs me enough that I would say something.

I also agree with whoever said it cheapens the work that actual service dogs do. My SIL works with the visually impaired & I'm quite familiar with service dogs. They are god-sends to people & should be respected anywhere in public.

I have never seen a dog inside a restaurant in Europe. I've seen people tie their dog up outside of stores and restaurants, but never bring them inside.

I'm not super bothered so long as the dog does not come anywhere near me.

I've usually seen this, too. I'm hard pressed to remember a dog actually inside & I know it happened a few times but it wasn't enough that I'd say "common". I do think even in europe the frequency is regional.

I've usually seen this, too. I'm hard pressed to remember a dog actually inside & I know it happened a few times but it wasn't enough that I'd say "common". I do think even in europe the frequency is regional.

I've seen quite a few dogs in Parisian grocery stores, but mostly they tie them outside. We didn't spend much time in restaurants due to food allergies. I didn't see any poorly behaved dogs in stores.

I would rather not have dogs in restaurant because I know how hard it is for people with allergies, but I can't say I'd let myself get worked up over it.

We just had to get rid of our dog because he bit my dd. when we first got him, on our way home from the breeder, we stopped at Petco and a he was bit by a dog. He never fully got over it. So, it does bother me. The blatant disreguard for the rules bothers me, but there's a reason for the rules. Service animals are entirely different.

I think most people do not have a problem with a genuine service dog, but rather those who just want to take their dog with them everywhere. seems the OP's question was about the latter, not the former. It does seem to be more about poor manners on the part of owners.

I like dogs (e.g. shepherds, labs, goldens - though klee kai's are interesting, but probably too energetic for me), dh likes other people's dogs.

my 7yo was highly terrified of dogs when he was younger. they move and are unpredictable. people allowing their animals to freely roam in the park (not the off-leash areas either) caused him to freak out. now he tolerates most dogs, but also watches them very closely out of fear of what they'll do next. he's only okay with dogs he's been exposed to a number of times. strange dogs still frighten him, and I don't care how many times the owner exclaims their dog is nice, it is STILL a strange dog to a frightened child and they are putting an animal ahead of a human *child*.

I've also encountered shops with a cat or two roaming. my mother wouldn't be able to enter them at all because her cat allergies could trigger an asthma attack just being there.

though I did hear the story of a nursing home cat that was not a people person, but would sit with a patient who ended up dying in the next 12 hours. It happend enough times, the staff realized this cat was sensing something. they tried hard to get it to sit with one patient they were concerned was about to die, but the cat kept going to another patient. the cat knew more than they did. eventually, they learned to call the family of the patient the cat was sitting with to let them know it was time to come say good-bye.

I don't think dogs should be in places that serve food, unless they really need to be (service dogs). When I worked at a coffee shop I was always kicking peoples dogs out- most were purse dogs, and they would be leaning on the coffee bar with the dog- nasty! I love dogs, I have 2, I've worked in dog rescue for years. I just don't think they need (or even want!) to go everywhere with their person. And I think dogs around food is nasty, unless it's my dog in my kitchen, in my house. Should be lucky enough to find myself living in Paris, I'm sure I'll adjust. But until then- no. Just no.

I wonder if these people have a clue how the health dept would react should they see their dog leaning on the counter in a restaurant. (and a real trained service dog wouldn't be doing that!)

When we moved to Australua, we left our Great Pyr with my mum and our Great Dane with SIL (Dh's sister). One day a friend of hers was over with her 20 something DD who is an army vet (fought in Iraq) who has severe PTSD - crippling anxiety, lose of consciousness, panic attacks. Well, Dh has panic attacks and when they woukd happen Great Dane would cuddle up to him. So, our Great Dane kept pacing around this young woman, really upset, and finally laid down on her on the couch. About a minute later she went into a full blown panic attack and he stayed with her and she came out of it much faster. SIL let her take him home to see if it was a fluke but he alerts her everytime, keeps her safe and helps her come out faster. She had him certified as a service dog (he had to go through some eval by either the army vet or a psych). She jnow attends University with him in tow, he is allowed into every establishment and had become well known in the town. He does wear a vest and has id photo. She is certain that we moved to Australia so that she could come into contact with him. So, no I don't care if I see a genuine service dog somewhere because the health and safety of their "person" might be in the balance. Fake service dogs, however, make me upset because the demean the actual work that real service animals do.

some dogs can sense seizures/whatever coming - and it's more about the dog than the breed and they either sense it or they can't. It's not something that can be trained to discern. ds's girlfriend has uncontrolled epilepsy, and breeds dogs. several of them can sense her sezures coming. she tends to keep those and sells the others. Her dogs are all *very* highly trained. (beyond obedience.)

I have never seen a dog inside a restaurant in Europe. I've seen people tie their dog up outside of stores and restaurants, but never bring them inside.

I'm not super bothered so long as the dog does not come anywhere near me.

Our dog is welcome inside our local pub, which serves meals.

ETA: this is an explanation of the UK law on animals in restaurants:

• Domestic animals, including dogs, should not be allowed access to places where food is prepared, handled or stored. The law does not specify excluding animals from areas where food is Ă¢â‚¬ËœservedĂ¢â‚¬â„¢. In this case, it is up to the food business operator to decide the risks posed to food by allowing dogs into the serving area as to whether or not they are allowed on the premises.

Laura

I've wondered if I could get DD a service snake. It's amazing how much she calms and how much less anxious she is when she's holding her corn snake, and if we could just get a nice little boa or python who was willing to settle around her shoulders, wearing a cute little blue vest. (Corns are too active and too curious-you'd lose the snake the second you took her into a store with neat stuff to investigate)...Of course, that would probably set off anxiety attacks in the other customers.

Dogs make DD nervous. I think it's simply the noise/unpredictability that she's seen in so many dogs. Quiet, well-behaved, and especially quiet, well-behaved LARGE dogs she's fine with-she had one friend as a preschooler who had a lab who, while he wasn't officially a service dog, served much the same function for the little boy with autism-he helped keep the child calm, would nudge the child to redirect, and so on, and DD responded well to him (probably because she had many of the same needs, so the dog handled her the same way), and for awhile she had a friend who's father was a K9 officer and would pick up his daughter from school along with his partner-and, again, DD responded very, very well to that dog, and I think that dog could have, if all the teachers and parents hadn't been there, could have kept that group of kids together, calm, and safe until help arrived by himself. But she has another friend who has a badly trained dog and she refuses to go over to that girl's house anymore because the dog runs and jumps on her, and while her friend doesn't mind, DD can't tell the difference between happy, playful dog and attacking dog. One of her other friend's mother crates their Bostons when DD's going to be there, because the dogs are too excitable and are used to thinking "Kids! Run! Play!!", and she knows DD can't handle it.

Service dogs are one thing. Accessory or pet dogs are another. I firmly believe that those with service dogs should put them in the little vests that say "Service Dog" and that no other dogs (or pets) should be allowed in restaurants, grocery stores, medical offices, or other places of business. There are issues with cleanliness, dog hair, behavior, and allergies.

The service vest lets people know that you need the dog. It also lets people know that the dog is working. I cannot tell you how many times people have gotten irritated with my DD for asking (sweetly and politely I might add) to pet their service dog. How does one know that it's a service dog if it's not wearing a vest and multitudes seem to thing it's appropriate to bring their pets everywhere with them?

B/c ppl think that they're speshul snowflakes, and rules don't apply to *them*

Personally, a dog is a dog is a dog...service animals excepted.

Doesn't matter if it's in a purse, or a huge dog, it has no business being in places disallowed by law. Period.

I can't imagine the freak outs if I waltzed in w/Bazinga. She's half grown, about 60-70 lbs. Guaranteed that even folks who don't have a problem smuggling theirs in a purse would flip out...but her size doesn't make her any more or less dog than theirs, kwim?

Doesn't matter if it's in a purse, or a huge dog, it has no business being in places disallowed by law. Period.

I can't imagine the freak outs if I waltzed in w/Bazinga. She's half grown, about 60-70 lbs. Guaranteed that even folks who don't have a problem smuggling theirs in a purse would flip out...but her size doesn't make her any more or less dog than theirs, kwim?

I agree.

And also with the PP's who said the people who try to pass dogs off as service dogs who really aren't, cheapen the ones who are working and much needed. True service dogs can be counted on not to sniff other patrons, bite, etc. I'm willing to put up with a little fur or whatever to accommodate people who have a genuine need.

Personally, no, I am not bothered by dogs in restaurants, stores, or any other space as long as they are well behaved.

However, as a society, we have rules about where it is acceptable to bring a dog (that is not a service dog) and I abide by them and I expect the people around me to do so as well.

It is unfortunate that so many people treat their pup as an accessory instead of a living animal and expect to be able to bring their pet wherever they are going.

I thought it was illegal to deny a service dog entrance. I am not doubting your story. It makes me mad, too.

It is illegal. I hope the OP of that comment's friend followed up with management and made a big stink. It probably wasn't malicious on the part of the restaurant worker who denied them entry, but they do need to be made aware of the law so it doesn't happen again.

Per the ADA, no dog can be denied entry if the owner claims it is a service dog. The animal does not have to be wearing a vest and the owner does not have to show proof of certification. The person may be asked if the dog is a service animal, but they cannot be asked about the nature of the disability.

The current system (maybe for lack of an overarching governing body/certification system?) seems to allow a lot of loopholes that could allow anyone to abuse the ADA and bring their dogs anywhere. I agree this undermines those animals that truly do provide a service for their owners.

As for the original question...the dog itself wouldn't bother me personally, but the lack of respect for others (who may have allergies or other issues with the dog) would.

We had a client bring a certified service dog to group (outpatient substance abuse treatment).

We had several clients who were not comfortable - *their* anxiety went up while ostensibly the dog-using client's was moderated with the dog.

Whose needs prevail?

I have no problems with a well-behaved service dog....even though I will likely being pulling out my inhaler to control my asthma as soon as I step outside.

I have huge problems with businesses that keep pets on site and don't give notice on the door. In my town there is a furniture/home decor store with a lab & three bookstores and a music store with cats. I had huge reactions within a minute of stepping in each store because there was so much dander.....totally had a multi-day reaction. :(

ha-ha...it sounds like her size makes her about 65 pounds more dog than a purse dog! :lol:

you should have used kg. then she'd only be about 29 kg more dog! :leaving:

We had a client bring a certified service dog to group (outpatient substance abuse treatment).

We had several clients who were not comfortable - *their* anxiety went up while ostensibly the dog-using client's was moderated with the dog.

Whose needs prevail?

There is no group in the USA that certifies all service animals. According to the ADA a dog that only provides comfort or emotional support doesn't have the same status as a seeing eye dog, for example. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

So that's a great question.

You should hear my father, a retired microbiologist, on this one. He would be very horrified. Dogs can pass on some pretty bad diseases and parasites. The fact that the owner is willing to ignore the law to bring the dog in tells you that they likely aren't up on shots and worm meds either.

You should hear my father, a retired microbiologist, on this one. He would be very horrified. Dogs can pass on some pretty bad diseases and parasites. The fact that the owner is willing to ignore the law to bring the dog in tells you that they likely aren't up on shots and worm meds either.

I hope that he takes off his shoes when he gets home, otherwise his floor in his house is probably just as bad. Once you've lived in different cultures for a while, you realise that cleanliness habits are often just that: habits, rather than logic.

Laura

No, it doesn't bother me personally. However, I respect others and how they feel about animals. My sister has horrible allergies to anything with fur basically. She loves animals but is severely allergic. I've seen her misery and my parents' total disregard for it.

When my friend comes over I put my dog in my room because her ds is terrified of dogs. I want him to be comfortable in my home.

Once I was at a friend's house (not really friends anymore) and her dog lunged and bit my then 4 yr old ds in the face when he slid off her couch. He has a scar on his upper lip from the bite. I could have called the cops on her, but I'm not the type of person to do that. However, I did become very angry when she said it was my ds's fault because he moved too quickly. I told her she should keep her dog in another room if he is jumpy around kids. Her reply, "This is his home and I'm not going to lock him up in his own house." :confused1: A dog. That had just bitten my ds in the face and he was bleeding.

So there are some people who are over the top with thinking their dog has rights above people.

I am more bothered by those pocket pooches than big dogs. I'd rather have a big dog sitting or laying next to the chair than have any animal actually sitting at or near the tale top. Ick. I also associate biters with little dogs. It's like the smaller they are, the more insecure and easily threatened they seem to be. Ymmv.

And I'm really torn about this whole anxiety pet trend. Otoh, I can totally accept that pets reduce anxiety. Birds, cats, reptiles, pigs... So while the focus in this thread seems to be on dogs, I don't think that's the real question. Are you, general you, okay with ANY anxiety pet going everywhere with someone? For me, no, I'm not. And other than spiders, I'm not particularly bothered by animals of any kind. But many people don't like or have allergies to dogs, same as they don't like cats, birds, or lizards or potbellied pigs.

Also, who cleans the mess? Gross enough when staff has to clean up human stuff. I'd be furious if I worked there.

The fact that the owner is willing to ignore the law to bring the dog in tells you that they likely aren't up on shots and worm meds either.

It only tells you that if you are enamored with logical fallacies.

A lot of people who have purse dogs think that because their dog is in a purse (or whatever), the law doesn't apply to them because the dog is not ambulatory and is under their complete control. Their good feelings about taking their dog everywhere are encouraged by the many people they meet who exclaim over how cute their little dog is, if they notice the dog at all. I don't think the purse dog people are confronted very often, even though I personally think they have a lot of chutzpa in thinking that they are exempt from the rules.

Frankly, I don't mind if someone takes a purse dog into a store. If people are present who are allergic to the dog, they must do whatever is necessary to take care of themselves. The dog laws aren't in place for the purpose of protecting people from their allergic reactions.

I am more bothered by those pocket pooches than big dogs. I'd rather have a big dog sitting or laying next to the chair than have any animal actually sitting at or near the tale top. Ick. I also associate biters with little dogs. It's like the smaller they are, the more insecure and easily threatened they seem to be. Ymmv.

And I'm really torn about this whole anxiety pet trend. Otoh, I can totally accept that pets reduce anxiety. Birds, cats, reptiles, pigs... So while the focus in this thread seems to be on dogs, I don't think that's the real question. Are you, general you, okay with ANY anxiety pet going everywhere with someone? For me, no, I'm not. And other than spiders, I'm not particularly bothered by animals of any kind. But many people don't like or have allergies to dogs, same as they don't like cats, birds, or lizards or potbellied pigs.

Also, who cleans the mess? Gross enough when staff has to clean up human stuff. I'd be furious if I worked there.

I linked the actual ADA policy- service animals legally are dogs. And in very specific situation, miniature horses.

I linked the actual ADA policy- service animals legally are dogs. And in very specific situation, miniature horses.

Yes, I know, I'm just contemplating and ruminating on that. Because it doesn't make sense to me. Many people are just as calmed. Maybe more so, by a cat. Or even a pig. For that matter, how many people are allergic to pigs compared to dogs?

Anyways.

My point wasn't to necessarily debate the law.

Continue on. :)

The fact that the owner is willing to ignore the law to bring the dog in tells you that they likely aren't up on shots and worm meds either.

on the contrary - someone who will spend lots of money on doggy accessories (costumes, strollers, purses just for foo-foo), are generally on good terms with the local vet because they want 'the best' for their little darlings.

It does bother me because if we all brought our dogs to restaurants it would get nasty. I have one dog and he is allowed everywhere and it's not disgusting. It would be disgusting if my kitchen had 10-20 dogs in it though. I've never been inside an establishment that had more than two service dogs at a time, so it doesn't strike me as disgusting. I'm glad places here only allow service dogs and it should always be enforced.

I hope that he takes off his shoes when he gets home, otherwise his floor in his house is probably just as bad. Once you've lived in different cultures for a while, you realise that cleanliness habits are often just that: habits, rather than logic.

Laura

He does indeed have house shoes. As fits his age, corduroy.

Laura

LOL - from prior conversations here it seems that many of us (yours truly included) do, in fact, remove our shoes upon entering the home. Habit & logic for me. :D

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Yes, it would bug me. It bugged me when people brought their dogs into Home Depot when I was a vendor there. Seriously--I had the right not to be sniffed at work!

But in a place with food? Ewww.

Plus, it's rude toward people who have allergies, some who have severe allergies. In fact, I think for some people it's downright dangerous.

As to the OP It wouldn't bug me in the least, however I know it does bother some people. BTW you are far more likely to catch something from people than a dog.

I hear the allergy thing brought up often when such subjects are discussed, but would't a dog walking close on a packed sidewalk, or a service dog allowed in such places also trigger said allergies? My mom can have pretty severe reactions to some perfume, but she doesn't expect people to not wear it out in public because of her. If she is starting to smell something particularly strong, she will bug out of wherever she is. I am not saying this to be snarky. I just don't see people as purposefully going out to trigger a reaction in someone. I never considered taking my dogs somewhere allowed as being rude just because someone may have an allergy some day. I also don't think it is rude to wear perfume when someone you never met and don't know will be there might have a reaction. If the Home Depot allowed dogs-that is their choice. If they did not and it was very clearly marked-then the people should not have gone in with the dogs.

As to the OP It wouldn't bug me in the least, however I know it does bother some people. BTW you are far more likely to catch something from people than a dog.

I hear the allergy thing brought up often when such subjects are discussed, but would't a dog walking close on a packed sidewalk, or a service dog allowed in such places also trigger said allergies? My mom can have pretty severe reactions to some perfume, but she doesn't expect people to not wear it out in public because of her. If she is starting to smell something particularly strong, she will bug out of wherever she is. I am not saying this to be snarky. I just don't see people as purposefully going out to trigger a reaction in someone. I never considered taking my dogs somewhere allowed as being rude just because someone may have an allergy some day. I also don't think it is rude to wear perfume when someone you never met and don't know will be there might have a reaction. If the Home Depot allowed dogs-that is their choice. If they did not and it was very clearly marked-then the people should not have gone in with the dogs.

I agree that people shouldn't have a problem with dogs where they are allowed. But even if they're allowed, I believe it's rude for owners to let their pets invade the personal space of others.

Restaurants I think should still be off-limits, though I also agree that it's easier to catch stuff from people. Still seems un-hygenic to me. Personal preference.

Laura

Dad is visiting db, but as I've thought about this, I suspect that he might say that parasite eggs are especially adapted to stay alive in the dog and in soil, but not so much on hardwood floors or carpeting so the risk is much lower.

Dad is visiting db, but as I've thought about this, I suspect that he might say that parasite eggs are especially adapted to stay alive in the dog and in soil, but not so much on hardwood floors or carpeting so the risk is much lower.

That makes sense: I definitely think that dogs should stay on the floor if they come into restaurants.

Laura

I agree that people shouldn't have a problem with dogs where they are allowed. But even if they're allowed, I believe it's rude for owners to let their pets invade the personal space of others.

Agreed-your dog should not be allowed to contact people without their permission. It goes both ways too. You should never come in contact with a dog (or any other domesticated animal... we live on a farm) without asking permission from the owner either. That is every time-not just once.

No, it wouldn't bother me. More and more local governments in my area are voting to let the merchant to decide whether or not dogs should be allowed. I loved seeing dogs in places when I was in Europe. And cats. I once had cream tea at place where cats routinely joined guests by napping in one of the empty chairs at the table.