Menu

Would it bother you if someone brought a dog into McDonalds?

staceyobu

Yes and I'd ask the manager to kick them out.

My husband is highly allergic to dogs and cats. He had hives from playing with our godchildren at our house and opening gifts from them. They have 5 cats. I don't want him exposed in a place of business.

Guest submarines

No? Why would it?

ETA: Well, I guess I'm not bothered at all by dogs in stores and restaurants (family restaurants, diners, fast food). It would bug me if a dog barked all the time, or ran around. If it is quiet on its owner's lap or under the table, this just does't bother me on any level.

Yes, it would bug me. It bugged me when people brought their dogs into Home Depot when I was a vendor there. Seriously--I had the right not to be sniffed at work!

But in a place with food? Ewww.

Plus, it's rude toward people who have allergies, some who have severe allergies. In fact, I think for some people it's downright dangerous.

Guest submarines

B/c legally, they're not supposed to be there?

Well, it wouldn't bother me if someone asked them to leave. But it wouldn't be me, because it doesn't bother me, and because not every illegal activity bothers me.

The dog itself probably wouldn't bother me much, assuming it left me alone, but I would be irritated on behalf of other people who are allergic or afraid of dogs or whatever reason someone might have for not wanting the animal around. I would also be incensed at the blatant Rules Don't Apply to Me display of entitlement. That makes me tremendously angry.

It would bother me. I don't like when people bring pets into places. I love pets, I love my dog, I would never think to take him into a place he's not suppossed to be. It may also bother me a lot b/c I am a large-breed dog owner and it seems the people I always see breaking this rule are those with little dogs, as if it somehow doesn't apply to them?

I have mixed feelings. I have allergies, but they are not severe, so while the dog doesn't bother me, I understand how it could bother others. But I am a dog person, so if the dog is well behaved, it doesn't bother me. It's sort of like kids. If I'm trying to eat and the kid at the next table is screaming, they are going to bother.

If it is a working dog, it is suppose to have a vest on. Which an be bought on ebay, I think. :glare:

many people think their dogs are their children and can take them anywhere. I've one store I frequent that has a prominently placed sign that say "NO pets". (service dogs are okay.)

I certainly don't want to go to a restaurant and have someone's dog there. or a store . . . .

then there are the people who claim their 7lb dog is a "service" dog. (does it serve as a distraction for cats?)

I have mixed feelings. I have allergies, but they are not severe, so while the dog doesn't bother me, I understand how it could bother others. But I am a dog person, so if the dog is well behaved, it doesn't bother me. It's sort of like kids. If I'm trying to eat and the kid at the next table is screaming, they are going to bother.

If it is a working dog, it is suppose to have a vest on. Which an be bought on ebay, I think. :glare:

not in Canada. There is, apparently, a diff btwn the certification process here vs the US, and from what I understand, it's far stricter here.

If questioned, I believe folks have to be able to pull out some sort of card to prove certification here, a vest alone isn't actually good enough.

Reason I say this is that I have a dim memory of SpecialMama talking about her ds' Autism Service Dog, and all the training, etc they had to go through, and that there are indeed steps taken from someone slapping a vest on a dog and claiming it's a service animal here.

I, too, have mixed feelings. My dog goes everywhere with us because she is an Omega and freaks out if she is away from us for very long. While we don't take her into places of business with us she is something of a service dog. It's not official, but she helps me with my PTSD. Freya is a Miniature Schnauzer and less likely to cause allergies in people. Normally she cowers behind me, but sometimes she'll bark at people from behind us. Sometimes she'll come out of her shell and sniff hands or legs, but I've never had people complain about it. Normally I keep her from people *if* she is curious unless they say it's okay.

What use to drive me batty was dogs in playgrounds. I took care of a toddler who was TERRIFIED of dogs, and the playgrounds always had huge signs saying no dogs. I had one woman tell me she didn't care if she was ticketed. Also, dogs drinking out of public water fountains makes me see red.

Dollars to donuts that carrier had a certificate for an Anxiety dog.

I was thinking the same thing. There is a lady who brings her dog, in his carrier with her, to Curves every day. There is a certificate on the carrier, indicating the dog is a service dog. Unfortunately, another lady has had to stop coming at that time as she is allergic to dogs & was having reactions from being in the room with him, even though he was in his crate.

I know someone who has a service dog that alerts them if their son is about to have a seizure. You wouldn't know that's what it's for unless you asked.

So, maybe I can't make a 100% statement that it's not a service dog. However, the people initially came in without the dog. Then, they were looking out the windows repeatedly to check on the dog. Then, they had a discussion about getting the dog out of the car. Then a girl went out and got him and whisked him rapidly past the front area and into the kids area.

And the dog looked like this:

post-8000-0-70976900-1356755230_thumb.jpg

But, maybe that's her official service dog uniform.

I don't think dogs should be in places that serve food, unless they really need to be (service dogs). When I worked at a coffee shop I was always kicking peoples dogs out- most were purse dogs, and they would be leaning on the coffee bar with the dog- nasty!

I love dogs, I have 2, I've worked in dog rescue for years. I just don't think they need (or even want!) to go everywhere with their person. And I think dogs around food is nasty, unless it's my dog in my kitchen, in my house.

Should be lucky enough to find myself living in Paris, I'm sure I'll adjust. But until then- no. Just no.

And, not a seeing eye dog. Think "accessory". I mean, it's Mcdonalds... so it's already gross. But, really, you just walk in with your dog?

You mean those little purse pooches?

Yes, it would bother me if there were a dog in a restaurant (that wasn't a certified guide animal). In my little town, there are quite a few people who try bring their little purse pooches into every shop. There is one gentleman who always tries to bring his dog into the library. I've stopped being polite about it, because he's just being an a$$ anyway. It's his "thing." So, I just point at the door and say "out." I have the dog pretty well trained now. ;)

I have seen people with their pocket puppies at the grocery store and I have complained. They do have a sign posted, but some people just think their dogs are like little children, so they should have an exception. Well... no they shouldn't. They aren't children, and they don't belong in the grocery store!

It would bother me if the dog were in a place that sells food, unless it was a service dog or the dog was lying under the table in an outside dining area. If the owner had the dog under control, it would not bother me anyplace else. I take my dog to Petco once in awhile, but it's well known that people are allowed to do that.

I have been surprised to learn in recent years what type of dog actually qualifies as a "service" animal. I think I am of the mindset that it should be a German Shepherd or Labrador retriever, but the last one I saw was a small breed. I think it depends on what service the dog is rendering.... Seems like many service animals, though, are recognizable in some way, like by a harness, identifying collar, kwim? Have others seen that?

Anyway, I wouldn't begrudge anyone a true service animal. But I have also seen a trend to purse-poochies going everywhere with their owner. I would find it offensive if non-service dogs were routinely found in restaurants.

I like dogs but I would be annoyed if someone bring a dog/cat into a commercial place where dogs/cats are not allowed. There are malls and restaurants/cafes that allow pets. I also come from a country that required govt issued identification that the dog is a service animal, we have beggars/panhandlers pretending to be blind unfortunately.

Personally--No, it wouldn't bother me a bit, assuming the dog was well behaved.

Applying the Golden Rule, it would bother me a lot on behalf of people in the restaurant who might be allergic or have a fear/phobia of dogs, and because with our existing laws people have the right to go into a restaurant with the expectation that there will NOT be pets other than legitimate service dogs there.

It would also bother me because pet owners who break the rules/laws give ALL pet owners a bad reputation and make it all the harder to get businesses to willingly be more pet-friendly.

And don't get me started on the fake therapy/personal assistant dog certifications people can get nowadays. :cursing:

Let me preface this by saying that I do *greatly* sympathize with people who have allergies, and I do believe people should abide by posted rules of businesses.

However, I really don't understand why people have such a strong reaction to having dogs around food. Dogs aren't inherently "dirty." Yes, they shed, but so do people. ;) You are *infinitely* more likely to catch something from a sneezing adult, or a child who just used the bathroom and didn't wash her hands, or the toddler who is picking his nose, or the baby putting everything in her mouth. I personally would be not be bothered in the least by seeing a dog in a grocery store, but seeing a baby chew on a shopping cart handle gives me the willies.

A dog is not going to waltz up and lick the produce in your cart.

Cupcakes, anyone? ;)

Well, dogs lick themselves....and I have yet to meet a human who can do that. I also do not know humans who roll in dead animals. Or eat their own poop. So yes, I do find them dirtier than humans.

Granted! However, many people use the bathroom without washing afterwards, and then those germs are on their *hands* and can be transmitted to whatever they touch. This, to me, is more of a real concern than possible germs in a dog's mouth. But, then, I let my dog lick my face and it doesn't bother me in the least, so I freely admit I'm not the most unbiased of people... :)

When we moved to Australua, we left our Great Pyr with my mum and our Great Dane with SIL (Dh's sister). One day a friend of hers was over with her 20 something DD who is an army vet (fought in Iraq) who has severe PTSD - crippling anxiety, lose of consciousness, panic attacks. Well, Dh has panic attacks and when they woukd happen Great Dane would cuddle up to him. So, our Great Dane kept pacing around this young woman, really upset, and finally laid down on her on the couch. About a minute later she went into a full blown panic attack and he stayed with her and she came out of it much faster. SIL let her take him home to see if it was a fluke but he alerts her everytime, keeps her safe and helps her come out faster. She had him certified as a service dog (he had to go through some eval by either the army vet or a psych). She jnow attends University with him in tow, he is allowed into every establishment and had become well known in the town. He does wear a vest and has id photo. She is certain that we moved to Australia so that she could come into contact with him.

So, no I don't care if I see a genuine service dog somewhere because the health and safety of their "person" might be in the balance. Fake service dogs, however, make me upset because the demean the actual work that real service animals do.

Let me preface this by saying that I do *greatly* sympathize with people who have allergies, and I do believe people should abide by posted rules of businesses.

However, I really don't understand why people have such a strong reaction to having dogs around food. Dogs aren't inherently "dirty." Yes, they shed, but so do people. ;) You are *infinitely* more likely to catch something from a sneezing adult, or a child who just used the bathroom and didn't wash her hands, or the toddler who is picking his nose, or the baby putting everything in her mouth. I personally would be not be bothered in the least by seeing a dog in a grocery store, but seeing a baby chew on a shopping cart handle gives me the willies.

A dog is not going to waltz up and lick the produce in your cart.

Cupcakes, anyone? ;)

:iagree:

A snotty nosed baby would upset me much more.

It'd bother me. I am fine with service dogs (and they can be any size, really, but the OP picture pooch doesn't quite seem the type...)

A dear friend's young daughter has an official service dog (labrador) to help her with the effects from FAS. The other day, they were denied entrance to a Chipotle, even tho they had all the documentation and the vest. Made me so mad!

If the dog was well behaved, nope it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. In all honesty it would probably make my day because getting to politely ask if they could say hi to the puppy (if it wasn't a service dog) would make my kids' day. If the dog was a service dog (like the gorgeous Bernese Mountain Dog we saw while visiting a museum this week) it provides a great opportunity to teach the kids about service dogs.

Now, if the dog was ill behaved, untrained etc... yes, it would bother me.

No one in my family has any pet allergies, but I can see how that could be an issue.