Menu

Do you love your Dutch oven? Tell me about it...

nmoira

I'm slowly replacing kitchenware, but this is a glaring omission: I need a 7/8 qt Dutch oven, now.

We're just not able to get leftovers from my 4qt pot.

Do you love yours?

I'm sorry. I know this is in poor taste, but I your query immediately made me think of this little bit from Alvin and the Chipmunks:

I never thought it was funny until my husband introduced the, um, concept to my 3-year old who finds it so funny she doubles over with laughter anytime the scene is mentioned. My older girls never really went through the potty humor phase, but boy does she think it absolutely hilarious. And she spends a lot of time in our bed, so he reenacts the scene just to entertain her. Lucky me.

Hope someone can give you some actual advice on the original topic.

Enameled cast iron is very nice. If you have $$$$$ to spend Le Creuset or Staub are premium choices, but run north of $300 (unless you find a "second").

If you are watching your pennies a Tramonitina 7 quart from Walmart is $79. That is a good value.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-Gourmet-7-Quart-Covered-Oval-Dutch-Oven/20665988

Bill

I have a 6qt Lodge--the enameled cast iron. I got it last year when they were on sale at Kroger for $40. What I like is that it gives more even heat than my stainless steel soup pot. I also like that the lid is so heavy not much steam escapes so I don't worry about soups or stews losing too much liquid and needing more water added during cooking.

I have the Lodge non-enameled cast iron dutch oven; I think it's 7 quarts. It has the flat bottom (not the feet), so I can use it on my stovetop. I love it a lot and use it alllll the time -- for roasts, stew, soup, chili, etc., on the stovetop or in the oven (and sometimes both in the same meal). It makes plenty of food for my family of 6, with leftovers.

I LOVE my dutch ovens. I have both Le Creuset and Lodge and see no difference between the two. Both are used nearly every day. I've had the Le Creuset for over six years and the Lodge for over two years. I bought the Le Creuset at a yard sale (best find ever!) and even if I had the money to spend I would go with Lodge if I were to buy another.

I'm sensing a theme. :D

Anyone use Emile Henry? I almost literally couldn't keep my hands off a 6.3 qt matte black Flame Top oval oven yesterday. Is this akin to being attracted to the bad boy in high school?

Enameled cast iron is very nice. If you have $$$$$ to spend Le Creuset or Staub are premium choices, but run north of $300 (unless you find a "second").

If you are watching your pennies a Tramonitina 7 quart from Walmart is $79. That is a good value.

http://www.walmart.c...h-Oven/20665988

Bill

I have a Tramontina Dutch Oven. I use it at least 3-4 times/week. I think mine is 7qt. but it is round, the one in the picture looks oval. I like the round because I use it on the stovetop a lot. I've had it about 4 years and it has held up great.

I use uncoated cast iron for skillets but I like the enamel for a Dutch Oven because there is so much liquid, soups, tomato sauces, etc.

I didn't know Tramontina made a Brasier, I've been wanting and enameled Brasier.

I LOVE my dutch ovens. I have both Le Creuset and Lodge and see no difference between the two. Both are used nearly every day. I've had the Le Creuset for over six years and the Lodge for over two years. I bought the Le Creuset at a yard sale (best find ever!) and even if I had the money to spend I would go with Lodge if I were to buy another.

That really is the best find ever!

I'm sensing a theme. :D

Anyone use Emile Henry? I almost literally couldn't keep my hands off a 6.3 qt matte black Flame Top oval oven yesterday. Is this akin to being attracted to the bad boy in high school?

Anyone? :)

Anyone? :)

I have a little Emile Henry baker (they make quality stuff), but a ceramic Dutch Oven? Never tried one. I must admit I'm intrigued and like cooking in ceramic, but....

If you try it, let us know what you think.

Bill (who would stick with enabled cast-iron)

Around Christmas time, Aldi's has a very nice enameled cast iron dutch oven. My foodie friends think it does a fine job, so I bought one this year. Love it! It only cost 29.00 and while I LOVE Le Creuset and all, I could never justify the price. I think it's only a 6 qt. perhaps too small for your needs. I have a much bigger stainless dutch oven I've used for years...but it can't go in the oven.

Yesterday at Kroger I found a charming smaller dutch oven in deep purple. It will work perfectly for our emptying nest household. And it's darn CUTE, too. :0)

So...yes, you will love an enameled cast iron dutch oven.