Menu

Who's going to Cincinnati in April?

OnTheBrink

Last year, we went to Memphis. That wasn't such a great experience, so DD and I are going to Cincy. The website lists several hotels that offer discounts, but they don't have things I want in a hotel, such as a fridge and microwave. For those that went and stayed at the Millenium or Hyatt, did not having these things affect your stay? I'm considering a much less expensive hotel a few miles away, but I don't know what parking would cost. I like the idea of a hotel just across the street from the convention, but I don't like the idea of eating every meal out.

I live a few hours away and probably will just go for the day because I have goats and sheep breed and that is the first weekend we can start getting then. But, if I do stay I have a family member I will be staying with. I know many of the families in my homeschool group make a family vacation of it and stay at the great wolf lodge as well.

Agonizing about whether or not to go this year. I have had a good experience with this convention in the past, though.

We used a cooler and were able to eat quite a bit out of our room for lunch and breakfast. For dinner we went to cheap places nearby, like Chipotle. There is also a fabulous Italian restaurant just past the convention center along the river. It looks run-down but the food is incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going. I was on the fence because SWB isn't doing conventions, but I'm a secret Ron Paul fan. We're around an hour away, so we'll just drive in and out. I think I'm going to have a tough time picking sessions though, since last year made it clear that my own research on things that interest me is going to be more in-depth than any intro lecture could cover. Because I'm a freak like that. But hey, my husband doesn't have time to research like I do, so he can decide what looks good to him! Plus, shiny books!

I'm not sure I'm going this year. I've gone every year since it started, but this year is really ho-hum to me, with nobody new to see. The Hilton can get you a frig, because I did have one one of the years I stayed there. I've stayed at both the Millenium and Hilton and like them both. Hilton has better elevators (more, not so over-busy). Yes, in the past there have been people who stayed farther and got a suite, split with people. It's a great way to save money.

We had a terrific time at the get-together last year. I just don't know if I'm going this year. I'll suggest though that you think ahead, if you want to do a get-together. It always seems like Friday night (late) is what works out best, though obviously nothing is ever perfect for everyone. If you want a restaurant on a Friday night downtown, it's good to make reservations. We thought the desserts we did last year and McCormick& Schmidts were rather, um, less than impressive, but it was quiet enough to talk and have a good time. Other years we met in the 2nd floor lobby of the millenium, near the skywalk. That works out well too. There's enough security out downtown at night (visible security) that you're ok for the walk to your other hotel buildings.

So yeah, it's unusual for me. I haven't made hotel reservations and haven't bought tix. I want to do the TTD convention instead, because the people there are more interesting to me. Just don't know.

I want to go, but if I go, then I'll be at the hotel by myself. I'm afraid, I'll be lonely there all by myself.

Hope you don't mind if I chuckled a bit at the idea of being lonely. Usually by the end of a day at the conference I'm glad to go back to a quiet room alone..... and might even sit there mumbling "buh, buh, buh, buh, buh,..." like Goldie Hawn in the movie Overboard. :D

I am going and staying at the Millenium too.

I am too.

I am going and staying at the Millenium too.
Hope you don't mind if I chuckled a bit at the idea of being lonely. Usually by the end of a day at the conference I'm glad to go back to a quiet room alone..... and might even sit there mumbling "buh, buh, buh, buh, buh,..." like Goldie Hawn in the movie Overboard. :D I am too.
I don't mean to hijack but what is the GHC convention?

Well now y'all are bumming me out! I love meeting with Lynn and the others, and I'd LOVE to meet Quiver. :)

Sorry on the GHC thing, I meant TTD, the competitor circuit that has (to me) more interesting people this year. I just don't know that I can go to that one, which means my options are TTD in Spartanburg, GHC in Cincy, or CHEO in Akron. Or sit home for the first time ever. I've never done. I ALWAYS go to conventions, lol. They're sort of my pep rally for the year.

Ok, so I'll say it outright. Why are y'all bothering to go to Cincy? SWB won't be there, and Ron Paul is of minimal interest. The vendors all seem the same, and they're the same people we've all seen 17 times now. What's new? What's drawing you? Or is it the comraderie and chance to think?

I'm planning to go and my ds13 (and maybe ds11) will be coming with me to attend the teen track. I have stayed at the LivInn the last couple of years. It's a bit of a pain to drive in and out, but it's only about 20 minutes, and the $$ savings is pretty significant. The LivInn has nice rooms and a decent breakfast!

We had a terrific time at the get-together last year. I just don't know if I'm going this year. I'll suggest though that you think ahead, if you want to do a get-together. It always seems like Friday night (late) is what works out best, though obviously nothing is ever perfect for everyone. If you want a restaurant on a Friday night downtown, it's good to make reservations. We thought the desserts we did last year and McCormick& Schmidts were rather, um, less than impressive, but it was quiet enough to talk and have a good time. Other years we met in the 2nd floor lobby of the millenium, near the skywalk. That works out well too. There's enough security out downtown at night (visible security) that you're ok for the walk to your other hotel buildings.

So yeah, it's unusual for me. I haven't made hotel reservations and haven't bought tix. I want to do the TTD convention instead, because the people there are more interesting to me. Just don't know.

:ohmy: But how can we get together without you??!!

It was a good get-together last year. Did we do it on Friday night? I thought it worked out well, but perhaps a different restaurant, if we could find one, for the reasons you mentioned.

I do know what you mean about ho-hum regarding this year's line-up. I'm sure it will be a good convention, but I'm less interested than I have been the last few years. However, my son would like to go to the teen track, so we're registered. And high school is looming, so if we decide to homeschool ds13 for high school, I'll need to spend more time in the vendor hall!

Ok, so I'll say it outright. Why are y'all bothering to go to Cincy? SWB won't be there, and Ron Paul is of minimal interest. The vendors all seem the same, and they're the same people we've all seen 17 times now. What's new? What's drawing you? Or is it the comraderie and chance to think?

I'll definitely miss SWB (of course she won't be at any other convention either), and I'm not at all interested in Ron Paul. There are a few new speakers that I'm interested in hearing: Steve Demme, Jamie Martin. But there's a reality that there a several (many?) speakers that I'm interested in but never heard, or heard just once or twice, because I just can't fit in all the sessions I'm interested in. So I'm hoping to hear Kathie Morrissey, Susan Kemmerrer, Diana Waring, Jim Weiss, Kathy Kuhl, Janice Campbell, Carol Reynolds. I've never head any of them live, only recorded. And I'm always interested in Andrew Pudewa, Todd Wilson, Jay Wile, Christopher Perrin, Kirk Martin, Adam Andrews, Martin Cothran, MCT, and Andrew Kern! So I guess there's still plenty there, it looks like my schedule will fill up fast like always. Plus, it's the closest big convention to me, and I'm not interested in going to a convention if it's a major drive.

• There are still some speakers I haven't heard. (I think this is our 4th year going to this convention)
  • I didn't go to as many SWB talks last year as I have previously, as I didn't need to repeat so soon.
  • Dh comes with me, so he gets to go to a lot of stuff that I've already researched, so this is a way to get him involved & interested.
  • He also chooses some other talks that I wouldn't go to, and that's fine with me. I pick some that he doesn't go to, either.
  • It's a getaway for the two of us. (We meet up for most meals and at night, of course. :001_wub: --although usually exhausted ;) )
  • I do like having some time to sit, read & think about various speakers, topics, and exhibit hall stuff I hear/encounter. I can also see some materials in person, which I can't do online, no matter how much online research I do.
  • As my kids get older, I need to look into higher levels of education and topics that didn't interest me or were not relevant before.
  • I have a bad memory, so even though I take notes (I don't refer back to them, unfortunately), and even when I buy recordings (I'm not great at getting them onto my mp3 player and then actually listening to them), I forget a lot of what I've heard. I don't mind hearing it again 2-3 years later.
  • Camaraderie, refueling, etc...
  • I live close by (but there's no way I'm driving in each day, so we're staying downtown)

I've had the same problem of generating any enthusiasm this year. I would probably go to Memphis instead but we're on vacation that week so I'll have to wait until next year.

I think I'm mainly going out of habit and the fact that it's the only time of the year that I get to leave my littles for a weekend. I'm a bit bummed because my older kids are both in college so they can't go as they have for the past four years. My 15yods doesn't want to go by himself and so, I think I'm going to be on my own. I'm slightly surprised that I'm bummed about it because the first year I went with the teens I was disappointed that I wasn't going by myself but we have had such a good time. Also, I can't imagine going to see Tim Hawkins with no one to laugh with so I'll probably skip it that part this year.

Ok, y'all convinced me! I booked my hotel! :driving:

So start scratching your heads on where you want the get together to be. I'm happy to tally and make the calls again (if you want me to), but y'all definitely suggest where you want it to be. And let's go ahead and make a social group for it. Do the social groups still work on here with the board changes?

Suggestion. The thread on social groups says there's still not that feature. How about a private *FB* group. I know not everyone likes FB, but we can do it closed, meaning you'll be private. So anyways, that's what I suggest. If you write me (if you want me to do this and aren't sick of me, lol) via pm, send me your FB name. Then I'll create a super private group for WTMers going to the cincy convention. That way we can update there and have it all neat and tidy.

Sound good?

We could consider Rock Bottom Brewery at Fountain Square for the get together. You can reserve a large table or a room(or the whole restaurant). Their desserts look good. Dh and I ate there last year (and met ... Denise? Chris? ...sorry, can't remember which of you it was! there) and it was good. Dessert menu.

Sounds fabulous! In fact, in all seriousness, we could go ahead and make that reservation pretty soon. We could just pick a ballpark number (20). Last year we did all this so late, it was hard to find a place with room. But I guess to do that we need to get serious about whether we'd rather do *dessert* again or *dinner*. And of course the day can be flexible.

I went ahead and set up the FB group. You need to be "friends" on FB with someone already in the group in order to get into the group. Once you're in there, feel free to add other people you know who are coming who want to be on. That will make it easy too, because then people who get scrolling FB notifications on their phones (which I don't, haha) will know if you post saying you're late or lost or whatever. Could be kinda cool! :)

Anyways, that's what I suggest.

We could consider Rock Bottom Brewery at Fountain Square for the get together. You can reserve a large table or a room(or the whole restaurant). Their desserts look good. Dh and I ate there last year (and met ... Denise? Chris? ...sorry, can't remember which of you it was! there) and it was good. Dessert menu.

It was me that you met at the brewery! We ate there for two nights and it was excellent. We can do dinner or dessert. Friday will work for us as we are just formulating our plans.

You know, we could even have like little mini-dinner (or breakfast) dates that we coordinate through the FB group and then the overall group dessert time. Nothing says we can't meet more than once. :thumbup: Now they just need to get that schedule ready! They clearly don't understand our need to plan these things. :lol:

I can't eat at Rock Bottom (gluten intolerance), but I can get a drink and join y'all. Mini meetings and a big one sounds good, too. :)

You can't, and I shouldn't. We're a good pair. :)

That's gotta be tricky with the gluten. Maybe if you call ahead they have alternate menu items for you? Seems like a common problem these days.

PS. Since you have a sensitivity, you should find somewhere that DOES work for you and suggest it on the FB group for mini-dates!

You can't, and I shouldn't. We're a good pair. :)

That's gotta be tricky with the gluten. Maybe if you call ahead they have alternate menu items for you? Seems like a common problem these days.

It's actually one of the few local restaurants who don't have gf options other than bunless burgers. I'm totally ok with going, though. I hear they have good cider. :)

I think I need a nap, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me post. You have to login first, duh! Lol

I think I will be down one day and if not I may talk a friend into staying with me somewhere. Looks like Friday more than likely for me. :)

It's actually one of the few local restaurants who don't have gf options other than bunless burgers. I'm totally ok with going, though. I hear they have good cider. :)

Ok, well I'm going to go on the FB group and start a thread. Nothing says it has to be Rock Bottom. You should definitely suggest more things to see what can work. :)

Ok, well I'm going to go on the FB group and start a thread. Nothing says it has to be Rock Bottom. You should definitely suggest more things to see what can work. :)

Certainly don't let me decide where we should go or not go! Like I said, I might not even get to come if my mom has spinal surgery, so I'll put a few ideas out there and just go with whatever you girls decide. :)

I'm going this year...more to get away than anything else. I have a few things I want to look at in the vendor hall and a few things to purchase. Most of the speakers I can take or leave. :hat: I have reservations at the Hilton.

Yeah!!!!!!!!! But you know you're killing me! I decided to stay at the Millenium this year. You know if you go with just yourself, you get stuck in this POSTAGE STAMP of a room at the Hilton. I should know. ;) Like we hardly even had room for luggage. You had to hug yourself to brush your teeth in the bathroom. The millenium is way bigger in that case. If you have 4 people coming, yeah the Hilton gives you this AMAZING HUGE room, like we had the first year there. Next year, 2 people and DOT from google, that's it. So just for variety (and because I'm tired of the walking and willing to risk the insanely overcrowded elevators again) I'm going Millenium. Flip a coin I guess, lol.

I'm so glad you're going!!! Seriously, I think the time we all hang out will be the most encouraging part of the whole thing. :)

This will be my first year at the once in Cincy. The one is Memphis (which I see they aren't having this year) had a great vendor hall, but wasn't the greatest convention. My dd (15) is going and it's a fun time for us. She gets to shop the vendor hall and because I'm a sucker, I usually buy whatever she wants there. LOL

I like the encouragement and inspiration I get from the speakers.

Ok, I booked the Garfield, because it has kitchens. But I'm also intrigued by the LivInn that was suggested. I just have to decide if I want convenience or savings. This would be easier to figure out if the schedule was out. Then I could figure out if it's worth it to drive in or if there'll be gaps in the schedule where I'll want to go back to the room and chill for a bit. I'm not really a crowd person and I do need silence to recharge. Maybe I'll book both places and just cancel the one that won't work for me.

Ok, I booked the Garfield, because it has kitchens. But I'm also intrigued by the LivInn that was suggested. I just have to decide if I want convenience or savings. This would be easier to figure out if the schedule was out. Then I could figure out if it's worth it to drive in or if there'll be gaps in the schedule where I'll want to go back to the room and chill for a bit. I'm not really a crowd person and I do need silence to recharge. Maybe I'll book both places and just cancel the one that won't work for me.

I like to be able to go back to my room during the day, yes. I usually do a dump of the brochures, things I've bought, etc. So you're probably going to find yourself going back to either your room or your car for that. The Cincy convention usually runs the schedule pretty heavy, with tons of sessions, so you're constantly torn on where to go and how to clone yourself. I usually take a lunch break at some point, pick up chipotle, empty my cart, reload water bottles, and head back to it. But they don't build in those breaks.

The other thing you could do for that peaceful break is to go over to Campanello's and eat a late lunch or something for an hour. Small tables, not all rush rush like Chipotle and Fountain Square.

Yeah!!!!!!!!! But you know you're killing me! I decided to stay at the Millenium this year. You know if you go with just yourself, you get stuck in this POSTAGE STAMP of a room at the Hilton. I should know. ;) Like we hardly even had room for luggage. You had to hug yourself to brush your teeth in the bathroom. The millenium is way bigger in that case. If you have 4 people coming, yeah the Hilton gives you this AMAZING HUGE room, like we had the first year there. Next year, 2 people and DOT from google, that's it. So just for variety (and because I'm tired of the walking and willing to risk the insanely overcrowded elevators again) I'm going Millenium. Flip a coin I guess, lol.

We've found that with the 2 of us (dh and I), if we get a room with a king bed (didn't matter if it was Hilton or Millennium), the room was tiny. If we got a 2 dbl bed room, it was larger just because it had to be to accommodate 2 beds. I think it's the age of the hotels...maybe small rooms were normal back in the day.

Our room last year at the Hilton was double beds, and it was sneeze small, like unbelievably small. It was tucked off in the corner. The year before we had 2 double beds but indicated 4 people and wanting a frig. For that they gave us this phenomenally HUGE room. So you just never know what you'll get I guess, lol.