Menu

Home schooling in pajamas!

SpecialClassical

Pajamas or regular clothes?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. What do your children wear during school hours?

• Pajamas- less laundry and comfy!
    • Regular clothes- makes going out in public easier!
    • Not much of anything- my kid likes to be naked or close to it.
    • Bananas!

My kids are free to wear whatever they want as long as they get dressed we have to go somewhere. DD always gets dressed. The boys vary. Sometimes jammies, sometimes superhero costumes, sometimes clothes. As long as they are at the table and working on school work it doesn't matter to me. I always get dressed, because it is more comfortable for me.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past 9 months or so, we have had only 1 car that dh takes to work each day. So we never go anywhere during the day.

Half of my kids wear pajamas, half don't. My favorite outfit is something like a maxi dress that feels like pajamas but looks decent. My favorite one is this one: http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-womens-kimono-sleeve-maxi-dress-assorted-colors/-/A-13847817?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13847817&CPNG=Women&kpid=13847817&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13847817

I have it in 2 colors and just noticed they're under $10 now! Have to go!

Nope. I make everyone get dressed for several reasons.

I want people presentable if we need to go out and it's hard enough to get out the door without having to dress folks. Just finding shoes and socks stresses me out!

I can't stand seeing people in their pajamas all day long. It looks slovenly and careless to me.

I want my children to be awake, alert, and semi-professional and pj-lounging sabotages this.

It's too bad you can only "like" a post once, because I {heart} this post a million times over!

I require that DD get dressed-having said that, though, her usual attire really isn't all that far from pajamas-basically, knit leggings and shirts or knit dresses in winter, and knit shorts/skorts and tops in summer. So yes, she almost certainly schools in PJs,or something close to them, almost daily, but they're new, clean PJs, not the ones she sleeps in.

I will also say-my DD is the kid who is wearing a polo shirt and skirt on homeschool group field trips. She says she doesn't feel right when she's on a field trip and everyone except for the preschoolers and homeschool groups are in school uniforms, so she'll pull out her "uniform" for such trips.

I don’t have a strict rule about it but they usually get dressed. The boys sleep in boxers and Tshirts most of the time anyway and since I would make them put on pants they essentially do have to get dressed. I do think that for us it helps us to be productive to be dressed. We do have occasional “jammie†days where we are taking things easier but it’s not the norm. It’s also a little different here because I go out early every morning to work and come home while they are eating breakfast. So I’m already dressed, I think that makes it more the norm for them to get dressed too.

I do have one that would probably stay naked the whole day if he could. And the 3 year old changes her own clothes roughly 10 times a day. She could be wearing anything from just underwear to pajamas to dress up clothes to a tutu to a bathing suit to a nice outfit. That’s a battle I’m not willing to fight. :)

I have three kids with sensory issues and we do a lot of exercise throughout our day, so I tell them to wear whatever provided it is clean. I do make them dress nicer if we leave the house, though. When I remember! I have no fashion sense. But we also never have unexpected visitors.

We're certainly not "slothful". We do yoga, go for walks, play outside, and stretch for most of our day. With how many of us here have ADHD issues, a lot of the time we are rolling on foam rollers, doing alignment exercises, or hula hooping. Those are much harder in nice dresses or jeans.

I said 'Bananas'.

Because my kids get up and wear whatever they want. Link usually gets dressed, Astro sometimes gets dressed/sometimes spends part of the morning in pajamas, and Pink does what Astro does (though not like copying him - she just does what she wants).

I don't think that not 'getting up and getting dressed' is a terrible thing. There are plenty of times and mornings when we have to do this.

I will admit, though, that the whole 'homeschoolers do school in their pajamas!' thing is a tired thing that some (not here, general 'some') have turned into this weird, cult-ish homeschool thing. It usually goes along with 'post pictures of your kids in some of your favorite unusual learning spots' accompanied by a kid sitting on the roof doing math or something. I just think it's kind of a lame stereotype that some homeschoolers have latched onto and claimed as something that we all do!

Idk. Maybe I just have a few people in my circle IRL who seem to be trying really hard to be everything that you read about like that and then are like, 'but hey, this is how it is to be a homeschooler, right?' ;) and I'm going... :rolleyes: Whatever.

ETA: I should add that I don't stay in my pjs because for me personally, I just prefer to put on something else.

Granted, that something else is usually yoga pants and a t-shirt. :D :lol:

It depends on the kid and the day. I always get dressed. I cannot function without a shower and clean clothes. My second daughter always gets dressed. My oldest never gets dressed unless I make her. The others dress some days and stay in pajamas other days. If we are going out, I make everyone get dressed. Spontaneous trips are pretty much non-existent for us. I'm a planner.

Mostly regular clothes, but I do allow pajama days and we enjoy them! I make it part of their morning responsibilities to be dressed and ready by a certain time for school. My older two will often stay in their pj bottoms, but put on a regular shirt. It is also very cold where we live so I can't blame them for wanting to stay in their warm pj's. :)

Most days we get dressed. But that might not happen until noon or later. Some days we get dressed fairly early. It just depends on what is going on that day.

Personally I need to shower every day at some point. I prefer to get dressed after the shower even if I'm going back into pajamas for the evening in a couple of hours. It is only on special days - such as dh going out of town - that we stay in pajamas 24 hours.

This is pretty much us too.

This was an interesting poll! I never imagined so many schooled in their PJ's. We almost never do, though I have no opinion about those who elect to do so. For us, it is about routine, and feeling ready to face the day. We do not really do school at home, and are relaxed in a lot of ways about homeschooling, but being in PJ's all day would actually be kind of depressing to me. We actually us sweats as PJ's, so we don't often wear them around the house if we aren't settled in for the night. We also get visitors frequently, and I don't want to be visited when we are not dressed.

Funny how everyone has their little "thing", I guess as I respond to this and see how relaxed others are about it, no PJ's must be my "thing"! Must be my kids' too, because they have never even asked to wear them during school hours. So interesting how everyone here is very different from one another.

That's why I had to implement our school dress code - that you must wear pants. Mine have gotten better about it.

Sounds like my house. If I let them, my oldest would just wear a pair of underwear (possibly adding shorts if he was feeling ambitious) and my youngest would wear just his long nightshirt all day (actually, he did that until he had to dress for church at 4pm today). Unless we insist, my youngest seems to wear clothes (including jeans) backwards and/or inside-out more often than not.

I had to implement a right-side-out-and-forwards shirt and pants rule and hide all the shorts during school time. It's Minnesota in December! It's 10 degrees out there! For them, it was partly to train them to actually pay attention to how clothes get worn so they don't show up to job interviews with pants on backwards someday.I think the 2 year old is more aware than my older boys. I was okay with shirtlessness when that was enough for being outside.