Menu

Home schooling in pajamas!

SpecialClassical

Pajamas or regular clothes?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. What do your children wear during school hours?

• Pajamas- less laundry and comfy!
    • Regular clothes- makes going out in public easier!
    • Not much of anything- my kid likes to be naked or close to it.
    • Bananas!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fifteen chores: but yes, we have to make the beds, put our clothes in the basket to wash and clear our breakfast bowls before Latin at 7:30. In the winter we bring in wood for the fire regularly, and often help with taking special treats out to the chickens. In the evening the chores are putting up the chickens, getting wood in, putting away our things, clearing dishes after supper and dog dinners. (I usually do the breakfast for the dogs--around 5:30 or 6:00 am) Early birds around my house.

And now you've made your personal choice into a moral stance.

I guess it looks that way. :-)

But really, I think it's a good personal habit, getting up and getting dressed. Perhaps it's just a cultural thing, though, because if I hear about someone who is habitually in her pajamas in the middle of the day, I'm also usually going to hear that her house is a shambles, she's unkempt in general, her dc are the Herdmans. Or a stereotype? At any rate, I don't think you can go wrong in teaching your children that good personal hygiene includes getting up and getting dressed on a daily basis.

Both. We always start in pajamas. I use getting dressed and brushing teeth as something to occupy one child while I'm working with the other (generally during math). The kids are generally changed by 11. If we have zero plans to leave the house I might let them stay in pjs longer, but it's rare that I let them eat lunch in them.

Not fifteen chores: but yes, we have to make the beds, put our clothes in the basket to wash and clear our breakfast bowls before Latin at 7:30. In the winter we bring in wood for the fire regularly, and often help with taking special treats out to the chickens. In the evening the chores are putting up the chickens, getting wood in, putting away our things, clearing dishes after supper and dog dinners. (I usually do the breakfast for the dogs--around 5:30 or 6:00 am) Early birds around my house.

We also have chickens and other animals. The 10yr old and 8yr old do the animal chores as well as kitchen and bedroom chores in the morning, but not usually that early. I'll be sure to share your post with my Eeyore!

Oh, the other animals are pets; I don't want anyone to think I'm sending them out to milk cows or anything. And I do go out and partner with them in doing the chickens sometimes, especially now that it is so cold out in Michigan.

We get dressed, but we're on vacation this week. I've been wearing this while drinking my coffee:

post-8420-0-01859400-1356729669_thumb.jpg

Then, when it's time to get dressed, I wear this:

post-8420-0-56226700-1356729719_thumb.jpg

My neighbor on one side makes fun of my pink "bunny suit" all the time. My in-laws, husband, daughter, and I all bought them at the VT Teddy Bear Factory's outlet store a few years ago and we wear them all week when we're in VT on our annual ski vacation.

I went outside in my blue tracksuit yesterday, and ANOTHER neighbor said, "Are those your pajamas?!!" The original fun-making neighbor was also outside, and he said, "That's nothing - you should see her bunny suit!" and they laughed and laughed.

At that point, I said, "You're all jerks!" and stomped off... ;)

We get dressed, but we're on vacation this week. I've been wearing this while drinking my coffee:

My neighbor on one side makes fun of my pink "bunny suit" all the time. My in-laws, husband, daughter, and I all bought them at the VT Teddy Bear Factory's outlet store a few years ago and we wear them all week when we're in VT on our annual ski vacation.

I went outside in my blue tracksuit yesterday, and ANOTHER neighbor said, "Are those your pajamas?!!" The original fun-making neighbor was also outside, and he said, "That's nothing - you should see her bunny suit!" and they laughed and laughed.

That's awesome!

My children all sleep in undies so they always get dressed. I feel it is important to always be dressed, I don't even go out in public with the kids in yoga pants. I think for me it is because I am younger with 4 young children and people make comments to those that do wear things like that. It has become routine and we always dress each morning for school. If we know we will be in for the evening we then strip down and I put on sweats/yoga pants.

I want one of those pink bunny suits!!! I also own adult sized footie pjs which I sometimes wear all day. It's super embarrassing to be me. :D However, I am a very hard worker at just about everything I do, so I am definitely not slothful, just someone who enjoys being comfy. As long as my children are decent (private bits covered), I don't really mind what they wear around the house.

Now he wants to know if other parents make their kids do 15! chores every morning. I told him he was out of luck in that area. Not sure how he came up with 15 chores unless eating, putting clean undies on, etc are chores. Silly boy.

You can tell your ds that some kids have 19 chores. Ds kept forgetting to do this thing or that, so I made him type it all up on a list and put it in a page protector. He checks it off each morning with a dry erase marker, and there are 19 items on it to do before school time! Of course many of them are very simple things, like "open the window blinds" and "check calendar", and yes "eat breakfast", but there are 19 things. It's a wonder he can live with such burdens on his time. :glare:

As for the original question, we do get dressed. Very occasionally we'll stay in pjs if ill, but in that case we probably aren't going to do school. I'm the type of person who could easily slip into never getting dressed or leaving the house, so I just don't give myself the option.

I voted pajamas because that's what we used to do when I didn't have to work in the afternoons.

And on days I don't have to work, we still spend most of the day in pajamas.

But, the majority of days are now spent in regular clothes.

My ds12 named our homeschool No Shoes Academy when he was little though. He was convinced this was the most important reason to homeschool. :)

Yes! That picture would show my picked up house! Not what it's like when it's messy. Are there any pictures of the aftermath of a tornado I can link to?

Yes, well, I wear pajamas until noon. I've gotta have *some* standards ;)

And fwiw, we've tried steaming those curtains. They are silk and the most impossible things to dewrinkle.

We are out the door a minimum of 4 days out of the 5 school days so they have to get dressed. This does not always happen before school starts though. Often we take a break between subjects and they go get dressed. On occasion we luck out and get a pj day on Mondays though.

Regular clothing... but not for the reason listed in the poll (to make going out in public easier). DD11 is lazy in her pajamas and I don't blame her - I am too. We get dressed before we start our day. We eat breakfast and I have my first cup of coffee in our pajamas, but then it's time to change into our "day" clothing.

I try so hard to get us all dressed with hair done and shoes (or at least socks) on and ready to start our "school time" by 9AM. It's hard because my older is a late sleeper and my younger is ... a three year old boy. But when we are dressed and ready to start school by 9, the rest of the day seems to go so much better. So we're working on it.

I have no problem with the occasional pajama day, if I know we're not leaving the house. Those are the days I get the most cleaning done. But most days I like to be dressed so we can make spontaneous trips to the park.

My rule is that unless you are an invalid, you may not come downstairs without getting dressed first. Getting dressed is conducive to a working attitude. Jammies are not. Jammies are for lazing about and sleeping -- not things which I want to encourage during our lessons.

We always get dressed every day - I've never in my life seen an Australian wear pj's/pants in public -not even little kids. Kids out in pjs equals lazy mother here. Not saying I agree but I get a lot of raised eyebrows and comments if people come to the door and we are in pjs after 10am -usually get asked if someone is sick.

Now hairbrushing is another thing entirely. When I pull out the hairbrush my kids ask where we are going lol.

Hmm, I've seen plenty of kids in pj's (usually at night, out for dinner etc past their bedtime). I've also seen adults (admittedly near fine art colleges ;) ). It wouldn't say lazy mother to me.

I could vote pjs, dressed or underwear lol. Depends on the day. Neither of my kids would want to go out in pjs though (underwear is a different matter *sigh*).

Bananas. I used to make the kids get dressed before we started schoolwork, but then we started doing read alouds when the kids first woke up and ate their breakfast, and they got dressed after that. Then we started with Bible first thing and I didn't want to wait for them to get dressed before doing the rest of their work. So our latest m.o. is to start schoolwork early and work through the morning, and they have to be dressed before lunch.

My kids hardly ever wear regular clothes. We school in pajamas, and by 3:00-ish most days, we're preparing to head to the dance studio for the evening, so they go from pajamas into dance clothes. Unless we go somewhere, then they put on regular clothing. But I'm all for comfort and less laundry.

We have homeschooling friends who are of the "get up and get dressed" sort, and their kids were devastated to hear that my kids actually do fit the stereotype of schooling in PJ's. Their mom told them that was a myth.

For us, one of the benefits of homeschooling is not having to invest in a full wardrobe of "school clothes". The kids have outing-worthy clothing like jeans, dockers and cords for ds, dresses and tops w/skirts and leggings for dd, but we don't have the pressure of needing to buy enough of those for them to wear a different outfit everyday like they would if they were in ps. We also dress modestly, so what we wear in the house, even if "dressed" would not be the same as what we wear outside of the home.

The dc have a couple of nice PJ sets to wear when we are having overnight guests or for sleepovers with relatives. Otherwise, they wear sweatpants or yoga pants and t-shirts, both to sleep in and just around the house all day. They shower when needed, whether in the AM, before bed, or after physical activity. When they shower, the outfit is changed, no matter the time of day.

I just see no point in buying, and washing, a sleep wardrobe, an at home wardrobe, and a public wardrobe. We have at-home clothes and a few select public outfits, that's it. But, I'm also the type who refuses to conform to arbitrary social norms about what "should" be done (as in "people must change into a certain type of clothing in order to start the day") when they don't make any sense to me. Works for us.

Nope. I make everyone get dressed for several reasons.

I want people presentable if we need to go out and it's hard enough to get out the door without having to dress folks. Just finding shoes and socks stresses me out!

I can't stand seeing people in their pajamas all day long. It looks slovenly and careless to me.

I want my children to be awake, alert, and semi-professional and pj-lounging sabotages this.

Nope. I make everyone get dressed for several reasons.

I want people presentable if we need to go out and it's hard enough to get out the door without having to dress folks. Just finding shoes and socks stresses me out!

I can't stand seeing people in their pajamas all day long. It looks slovenly and careless to me.

I want my children to be awake, alert, and semi-professional and pj-lounging sabotages this.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

YES!!!!!

I'm not opposed to an occasional jammy day, but it should be a special treat, not a way of life.

I voted bananas.

DD11 had this issue last year. We have compromised. On days where we go out- she dresses. When we are in all day it's pajamas. When she was younger, she got dressed, but that was the expectation. Now... we have a lot more reading so sometimes dressing is another thing on the "to do" list.

My oldest is up and out the door early for classes at the high school, so I get youngest up, too. But we stay in our jammies, because I find once the break to go get dressed comes it's all downhill from there. We can sit and just work, work, work while oldest is gone, and maximize that time with no distraction, in jammies.

I suppose we could dress before starting work, but it's early, and we are already grumpy from being up early (isn't one of the pluses not having to get up? Well, now we have to!) and so lounging a bit works better.

Also I hold out hope for a nap every day, and prolong the jammies time in the hopes the nap may happen. Most days I realize at 3 there is no nap time, and get dressed, but some days it pays off and I can crawl back in bed for an hour, and it's just nicer in jammies!

I am also that lady you see in the store clearly wearing pajamas (I consider yoga pants dressed) so take that for what it's worth. I lived in China, and people never wear their pajamas places there. Since everyone stared at me, anyway, I figured what the heck, and got into the habit of it. Now I'm in the us, and too old to care.

If we are leaving the house that day we will get dressed for sure. If we aren't, I leave it up to the kids what they want to wear. I'm more of a comfort person, so if I am not leaving and nobody is coming over I will have on just comfortable clothes. Not stuff I would leave the house in but not necessarily always pajamas, either, just comfortable things. :)

Bananas!

Ds will only wear comfy sweat pants due to sensory issues and wears the same thing to bed. So, he is often wearing what he wore to bed the night before all day, but it looks like regular clothes and it is the same things he would wear if we go out. I do put him in clean clothes if we are going out somewhere.

Dd usually strips down to her underwear. I do not want to spend all day yelling at her to get dressed, and even if she were to get dressed first thing, she's more than likely going to be back down to her underwear before very long. So, if we are going out I have to get her dressed right before anyway, and since anything she took off would just get left some random place, and she would put on new clothes next time she decided to wear something, for the sake of the amount of laundry I have to do - I let her stay undressed.

We NEVER get unexpected company, and very very rarely have to go out unexpectedly.

Edited to add: I am also usually in my sleeping clothes most of the day. That would be sweatpants or yoga pants, and a long or short sleeve t-shirt. My out-of-the-house clothes are usually jeans and a nicer long or short sleeve t-shirt with a sweater. I'm actually MORE likely to do cleaning and other messy activities (like working out) if I'm NOT dressed to go out because I don't mind getting my sleep clothes messy or sweaty. I can't clean wearing jeans since kneeling in jeans pops my knee out.

We wear pj's usually until we have to go somewhere. Sometimes we get dressed first thing in the morning before breakfast, but usually we wait until after we do school time. There is something to it making a better transition to being productive though. I would prefer to have them dressed before going downstairs to breakfast, but that usually doesn't happen.

I don't care what my DS wears, and I voted pajamas b/c that is what he wears most of the time. We don't usually go anywhere, but if we do, I just tell him to get dressed and he does. *shrug* I wear pajamas or "comfy" clothes most of the time also, so I don't feel like I can tell him he can't. Kwim? We also don't ever get unexpected company, and usually never have to go anywhere unexpectedly...but if we did, he takes two seconds to get dressed.

ETA: I say I wear my pajamas, but I really don't. I actually get changed out of my pajamas immediately when I wake up b/c I wear stretch pants and a tank top to bed, and I don't feel comfortable wearing that in front of my 13 year old DS, so I usually put on actual clothes, but they are usually track or yoga pants and a tshirt...but maybe to some that is slovenly. *shrug* Most of the stuff I wear around the house is what I would also wear when we go out, so I don't think it is too bad. I never wear jeans around the house, though.

My answer is bananas. lol My boys sleep in comfy, regular clothing. (think track pants and t shirts) So they sleep in regular clothes and own no pajamas.

Same here. Actually we all do this. We usually change to fresh clothes morning and night, but they are mostly the same clothes. (I have the tendency to get grease stains on my shirts while cooking, so those shirts get reserved for nighttime.)

I voted regular clothes, but it's probably about 75% of the time regular clothes and 25% of the time pajamas.

The kids in pull-ups at night (three youngest) get dressed every morning since they have to take the pull-up off, but I usually have to tell them/help them.

My oldest gets dressed without being told to, makes his bed, keeps his room tidy...things no one else in our house does. :confused1:

My 2nd ds and I are the most likely to be found in our pajamas until the afternoon if we haven't gone out at all that day. We never wear our pajamas in public though, and again, it's really just 1 or 2 times a week. :001_smile:

I do brush my girls' hair everyday though.