Menu

Home schooling in pajamas!

SpecialClassical

Pajamas or regular clothes?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. What do your children wear during school hours?

• Pajamas- less laundry and comfy!
    • Regular clothes- makes going out in public easier!
    • Not much of anything- my kid likes to be naked or close to it.
    • Bananas!

My son is convinced that "normal" homeschoolers spend the day studying in their pajamas. People have made that remark to him when they talked about where he goes to school. They think he is lucky to do school in his jammies, so he thinks he has been ripped off because I make him get dressed!

So, even though I know home schoolers are all very different, would you be so kind as to answer this poll? (If I can get it up? )

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer is bananas. lol My boys sleep in comfy, regular clothing. (think track pants and t shirts) They wake up and go from there, wearing the same clothes they slept in. So they sleep in regular clothes and own no pajamas. My youngest dd often wears her pjs all day. I work two days a week and when I am at home schooling on the other days, I often wear my pj pants and a big sweatshirt all day. I am decent for answering the door for the FedEx man, but I wouldn't go out in public that way. I'm sure that is absolutely no help to you at all.

Most days we get dressed. But that might not happen until noon or later. Some days we get dressed fairly early. It just depends on what is going on that day.

Personally I need to shower every day at some point. I prefer to get dressed after the shower even if I'm going back into pajamas for the evening in a couple of hours. It is only on special days - such as dh going out of town - that we stay in pajamas 24 hours.

I voted pajamas, though it's actually about 50-50. Depends on the day and what we have going on. My son would gladly stay in PJs all day if given the choice, so sometimes we are doing school in PJs. Sometimes he gets dressed. Today he is dressed! I'm usually in some type of "real" clothing by 8 or 9 a.m. because I need to get outside and take care of the critters.

I voted pajamas because in all the years I've homeschooled, I've never cared what the kids were wearing during the day. Having said that, I had one that always wore pajama pants and a tshirt and one that always got dressed. My one that wore pajama pants is now in public school but she changes into pajama pants as soon as she gets home every afternoon.

I voted pajamas, but actually they wear whatever they want as long as it includes pants and that can include pajama pants. I would say they're probably in pajama pants a quarter of the time. But they also wear them out a good bit as well.

I know these things are controversial. There have been some nasty threads about pajamas. ;)

I voted Banana's because my son like to wear jeans or shorts and nothing else...seriously does not like to wear shirts :)

My daughter usually stays in her PJ's until after lunch.

I change out my PJ's after I shower. Some days that is first thing in the morning. Most days it is after lunch.

I know these things are controversial. There have been some nasty threads about pajamas. ;)

Really? Why controversial?

I find it funny that it would bother someone else if we wear pajamas! Why do people care what someone else does? (not asking you specifically, just wondering aloud!) These things are soooo interesting. I don't think I've seen enough of the controversial threads to really get it.

I find it funny that it would bother someone else if we wear pajamas! Why do people care what someone else does? (not asking you specifically, just wondering aloud!) These things are soooo interesting. I don't think I've seen enough of the controversial threads to really get it.

I doubt that any one does care. But sometimes people get defensive anyway. That's why I made sure that when I said what we do, I also put down that I don't care if someone does it the other way.

We wear comfy clothes at home- yoga pants, sweats, lounge wear, etc. Even if we get dressed in real clothes to go out we change back into our comfy clothes as soon as we return home. The very first thing dh and I both do after work is come home and change into comfortable clothes. Our kids have fallen into the same habit. Our comfy lounge wear doubles as pajamas, so I guess you could say we're always in our pajamas unless we're actually out in public.

The funny thing is that even though we are all about being comfortable and casual at home, neither of my kids would dream of wearing sweat pants out in public. Never. We may wear old sweats at home, but when we're out they both like to dress nicely.

I was half-kidding. But I think it's a bit like the toilet paper over or under thing. People like to debate the unimportant things sometimes. And I have seen people here say that they judge kids in their pj's out and about or who do school in pj's as being slovenly or bad in some way.

I have no problem with pajamas. I can't get my kids to get dressed. Half the time they sit around in their underwear.

It does save on laundry. LOL

When it's warm enough, my son wears underwear only a good bit of the time. When I have pictures of him without a shirt (he's 6), I remind him that he's usually without a shirt, so what can I do?!

I was half-kidding. But I think it's a bit like the toilet paper over or under thing. People like to debate the unimportant things sometimes. And I have seen people here say that they judge kids in their pj's out and about or who do school in pj's as being slovenly or bad in some way.

I have a theory. Whenever there is one of these polls and there is an option that requires a bit of extra effort - like making your bed or taking off your shoes at the door or putting on "day" clothes, people try to justify making that effort. And people who have chosen to not make that effort try to justify that. I mean, people do have reasons for doing pretty much everything. But they aren't necessarily moral reasons. So there is no reason to judge one way as "good" or "bad" in a moral sense.

I agree with the poster who said that for her, it mentally helps her to be more productive. It works that way for me. I need a crutch to be more productive!

We wear comfy clothes at home- yoga pants, sweats, lounge wear, etc. Even if we get dressed in real clothes to go out we change back into our comfy clothes as soon as we return home. The very first thing dh and I both do after work is come home and change into comfortable clothes. Our kids have fallen into the same habit. Our comfy lounge wear doubles as pajamas, so I guess you could say we're always in our pajamas unless we're actually out in public.

The funny thing is that even though we are all about being comfortable and casual at home, neither of my kids would dream of wearing sweat pants out in public. Never. We may wear old sweats at home, but when we're out they both like to dress nicely.

This describes DH and me, although I am getting a little more comfortable wearing my 'nicer' lounge wear in public (limited locations). My lounge wear clothes are backup pajamas.

My kids seem pretty comfy in real clothes, so they are happy to be in those all day. DS2 lives in pajamas most days. :)

Oh see I know someone out there is wrinkling their nose up over my response and I think that's funny. For me it's a "pick my battles" thing. My kids are just difficult about everything it seems so this is one of those things I let go of.

Which is a perfectly good reason!

(BTW - I think that "because I like to " is a perfectly good reason for these types of things too!)

We always get dressed every day - I've never in my life seen an Australian wear pj's/pants in public -not even little kids. Kids out in pjs equals lazy mother here. Not saying I agree but I get a lot of raised eyebrows and comments if people come to the door and we are in pjs after 10am -usually get asked if someone is sick.

Now hairbrushing is another thing entirely. When I pull out the hairbrush my kids ask where we are going lol.

Regular clothes. Never pajamas. We dress before we go to the kitchen.

The boys even got dressed before going out to raid the Christmas stockings.

I suspect it is mostly because the next thing after getting up is going outside, and nobody wants to be enthusiastically greeted by dogs (or the chickens) in pajamas or bare feet. So shoes are often on right after clothes.

I voted Banana's because my son like to wear jeans or shorts and nothing else...seriously does not like to wear shirts :)

My daughter usually stays in her PJ's until after lunch.

I change out my PJ's after I shower. Some days that is first thing in the morning. Most days it is after lunch.

Ok, but honestly, does putting on clothing to go somewhere take a lot of training? If we need to be somewhere I tell the kids to dress when they wake up and they do it.

It isn't just getting dressed to go somewhere. It's the concept of getting up and getting dressed because we are not slothful.

It isn't just getting dressed to go somewhere. It's the concept of getting up and getting dressed because we are not slothful.

And that, Tammy, is why we say these things get controversial. ;) Because apparently people who wear their pajamas all day are slothful.

Signed, Slothful Cris in PJ's :D

Well, before this takes a bad turn, thank you to everyone! We actually are slow in " getting ready for the day" as we call getting dressed,groomed, and doing chores, but I do feel more productive once we have accomplished those things.

We all do what works best for our families (and change if we need to in order to accomplish our goals). That is fine with me!

My point to my son is that being homeschooled doesn't equal all-day jammies. I think I will institute an occasional jammie day as a reward for cheerfully getting ready in the morning. The results made him smile and he wanted to know the numbers of each answer choice.

Now he wants to know if other parents make their kids do 15! chores every morning. I told him he was out of luck in that area. Not sure how he came up with 15 chores unless eating, putting clean undies on, etc are chores. Silly boy.

We tend to hang around the house in jammies. I try and make sure I am presentable from the waste up, but for comfort around the house I do admit to wearing jammie pants :D My kids are pretty much the same way. It makes getting out just as easy since all we really need to do is change our pants.