Menu

What is the next best vacuum to a Dyson?

Janie

My sons need one for a small house, and I'd like to give them one as a gift, but I don't know if I want to spend as much as I did on my Dyson. So I'm exploring options instead of a Dyson.

Any ideas that have worked for you?

The reviews I've read for vacs in the $100-200 range all say they work fine at first but fail to pick up (I suppose that means loss of suction power) later. This probably means a Dyson is the way to go, and I might do it anyway, but they are so expensive.

Thanks!

Guest inoubliable

We had an Electrolux before we got a Dyson. I'd say they're the next best thing, but they can be just as pricey depending on where you purchase. If/When our Dyson ever becomes unrepairable (and it hasn't needed repair yet) or we manage to score a home with no carpeting, we'll downsize to the Electrolux Ergorapido.

I have a Dyson, and it does lose suction. Very frequently, I have to cut out my long hair from the brush thingie. No doubt that is my fault for having long hair that falls out too much, but I thought I would mention it! Also, this is hard to describe, but there are two parts that are supposed to fit together at the bottom which are always separating slightly. I must kick it back together with my heel every time I vacuum or it loses suction. Not a Dyson fan. Glad it was a gift so I didn't have to spend my own money on this! (I have a yellow one, in case you decide on a Dyson so you can avoid the model I have.)

I have to cut out my long hair from the brush thingie. No doubt that is my fault for having long hair that falls out too much, but I thought I would mention it!

I have to cut mine off the Electrolux brush, as well. :-) (I have an upright for upstairs where the carpet is, and a cannister for downstairs where the hardwood is.)

Guest inoubliable

I have a Dyson, and it does lose suction. Very frequently, I have to cut out my long hair from the brush thingie. No doubt that is my fault for having long hair that falls out too much, but I thought I would mention it!

That sucks. (No pun intended). My hair and DS12's is waist length (DS7 and DS5 have hair that is shoulder length) and we lose hair constantly, but our Dyson never gets clogged or loses suction from it. Ours is an Animal model, though. Maybe that has something to do with it? DS5 likes watching the hair cyclones in the canister when I vacuum the living room. LOL.

Oreck! They are lightweight and pick up everything. I bought my first when my kids were little and I was tired of carrying 80 pound vacuums while pregnant. My newest is a Pilot, which has a swivel mechanism that is great.

These are not bagless, but I prefer that.

Bagless is overrated. How hard is it to take out the old bag, toss it, and put in the new one? No muss, no fuss.

It is not hard to deal wtih the bags but the cost quickly gets too much. I cannot own a bagged vaccum anymore due to the fact that we sweep daily sometimes and quickly went through bags every few days. Just not financially worth it.

I love bagless. As long as we have legos, I will never own anything different.

I have heard the Hoover Windtunnel Cyclone is a good $150 range option.

This is the one we have and I really like it! We have very little carpet in our house though- just a few area rugs and tight burber in the hall and dc/guest rooms. But, we do have a med haired dog and a long haired cat.