Menu

Clearwater Marine Aquairum

NotSoObvious

We'll be there in two weeks and will do the behind the scenes tour.

Any advice? We are just going to spend one day there, then drive to Pompano Beach for a week. This has been planned for so long. I'm glad to we are finally going! My girls are obsessed with Winter and watch the webcams. I like that it's not a traditional aquarium and that their focus is on rescue and rehabilitation. I hear it's gotten pretty insane since the movie, but that's ok. I feel like I know what to expect with regards to it being small, etc. Just being there will be enough for my girls. They were so excited Christmas morning, they cried.

ETA I know how to spell aquarium! I didn't even notice the red line. I told my husband he made this White Russian too strong!!

Don't expect a fancy aquarium! Even with the expansion, It's still primarily a rescue/rehab facility. I actually preferred it (still do, except when it's crazy crowded) over the Florida Aquarium because it's not as overwhelming to younger kids.

Call ahead and ask about the schedule if Winter herself is a must-see! I haven't done that tour, so I don't know what's included.

Park at the downtown Clearwater location (where all the movie props are displayed) and take the Jolly Trolley (included w/ admission) out to the aquarium -- more parking and less traffic (unless you're coming from the beach, but even then the parking is easier downtown).

Check the presentation schedule and catch one or two of those, they are pretty interesting. Also don't be shy about asking questions of the staff & volunteers. Look all around you while you're there, some of the "exhibits" are easy to miss (again, the facility was set up for the benefit of the critters more than the human visitors, and even the movie improvements didn't change that much). Also, somewhere along the way, you should be able to see & touch Winter's tail up close (an older one that's no longer used, but still the real deal).

Don't expect a fancy aquarium! Even with the expansion, It's still primarily a rescue/rehab facility. I actually preferred it (still do, except when it's crazy crowded) over the Florida Aquarium because it's not as overwhelming to younger kids.

Call ahead and ask about the schedule if Winter herself is a must-see! I haven't done that tour, so I don't know what's included.

Park at the downtown Clearwater location (where all the movie props are displayed) and take the Jolly Trolley (included w/ admission) out to the aquarium -- more parking and less traffic (unless you're coming from the beach, but even then the parking is easier downtown).

Check the presentation schedule and catch one or two of those, they are pretty interesting. Also don't be shy about asking questions of the staff & volunteers. Look all around you while you're there, some of the "exhibits" are easy to miss (again, the facility was set up for the benefit of the critters more than the human visitors, and even the movie improvements didn't change that much). Also, somewhere along the way, you should be able to see & touch Winter's tail up close (an older one that's no longer used, but still the real deal).

:iagree:

That is exactly what I have to say about the CMA, too.

My kids liked it and we got to see Winter perform (along with 3 other presentations).

That was in 2009 and things are probably different now so definitely call ahead.

Also, I do not see how you could possibly spend more than 2 hours total in the facility...there is not that much to do and see!

Also, I do not see how you could possibly spend more than 2 hours total in the facility...there is not that much to do and see!

That's a good point. You may want to have a backup plan for the rest of the day once you finish at the aquarium. Clearwater beach is right there, though the weather is really unpredictable -- you could have temps in the 70s or in the 50s depending on the day. There are some good restaurants and a bunch of tourist-y shops along the beach too. You can also find dolpin-watching & fishing boats nearby, plus a "pirate cruise" and a couple of speedboats (thrill-ride type thing).

Downtown Clearwater is not a very nice place; I wouldn't plan to just walk around and see the city. Stay out at the beach if you want to stroll around.