Menu

Soups for a crowd

Amira

I make a meal once a month for the local Ronald McDonald House and I'm looking for some good soup ideas. Soup seems to be popular and I like to make a couple of different kinds so people have a choice. We need to have enough for about 20-25 people.

So what soup would you make? It needs to be something that I can easily take all the ingredients over for and cook in less than an hour. Their kitchen is large with plenty of equipment. I also make something like bread sticks and a salad or vegetable, depending on the soup choices.

I'm going tomorrow and am thinking of doing a puréed potato-leek soup, a white bean soup, and something else. But I'm also looking ahead to other months, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

My favorite soup recipe:

1 lb bulk sausage(jimmy dean or owens)

1-2 cloves of garlic crushed or sliced

diced onion to taste

4 cups chicken stock

4 cups water

1-2 stalks of celery sliced

pasta--I like radiatorre

1 can of cannelini beans

1 can diced tomatoes

2-3 cups of fresh spinach

salt/pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese

Cook sausage w/garlic and onion. Combine water and stock and add celery, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add pasta to boiling stock. Once the pasta is done add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted. Top w/parmesan cheese

Potato soup

Tomato soup

Chicken Enchilada or Taco soup

Lentil soup, definitely.

Grated onion

Grated potato

Grated carrot

Chopped garlic

Red lentils

Water

Salt/pepper

Sauté the onion, potato, carrot, garlic in olive oil. Add lentils, water, seasonings. Boil and then simmer until lentils and veggies are cooked (doesn't take long). Let cool some, and then purée. Can be served plain or with a dollop of sour cream, or with dried mint, or with garlic infused vinegar.

Proportions? I use one large onion, potato, and two carrots for about two cups of lentils. That serves about 6-8.

Did anyone mention corn chowder? I often make that for large groups. Easy and popular with almost everyone.

Not homemade, but this is our favorite soup, evah! Really great with chicken, and I always stretch the package by using 1 1/2 times the broth, a handful of rice, a cubed potato or two and extra red pepper to keep it spicy. 2 packages made that way would fill my large stock pot.

http://www.frontiers...rn-Chowder.html

Cream of chicken and rice soup. Cook chopped chicken and onions in butter,then sprinkle with flour. Slowly add chicken broth. Add rice, chopped celery and carrots, marjoram, salt and pepper. When rice is cooked, stir in milk or cream. We just had this for dinner the other night with leftover turkey. It was yummy!

Mama Leone's Chicken Soup - It is simple but special and a crowd pleaser. This is the only recipe I can find to link at the moment. I usually double the chicken and use real cream instead of fat free half and half. The main ingredients are chicken, broth, onion, celery, garlic, tomatoes, spinach, hungarian paprika, and tarragon.

Pizza Soup!

Sorry- I don't use a recipe/measurements... It's VERY firgiving- exact proportions can vary widely and still be delicious. but here's what I do:

Beef or Chicken broth- I used boxed from Aldi.

tomatoes: crushed, diced, or puree- your preference

Italian sauasage- hot or sweet. Turkey sausage can be cooked in the soup- no grease, pork sausage is cheaper- but best cooked ahead and drained. Cut into chunks or use loose/crumbled.

sliced mushrooms

diced red/green peppers

onions

Italian herbs- garlic, oregano, basil.

Add shredded mozzarella or parmesan to bowl after serving.

If you need to cook for a large crowd in an hour- I would cook the sausage first, then saute the veggies- all right in the soup pot, then add the tomatoes & broth & seasonings.

Potato Corn Cheesy Chowder! The potatoes add a nice heft to the chowder! its is yummy!

Minestrone i love it but it does tend to have quite a few ingredients. But its worth it!

Chili is a great option too...

Tortilla Soup, there are a few really good recipes online, and it is pretty easy to make...